Dho Maleh 'dumalla'

Jagmeet

• 2 weeks later...

Waheguroo jee kaa khalsa

Waheguroo jee kee fateh

I am not sure abt the dasam granth saloks, but there is one shabad by Siree Guroo Arjan Dev Jee Maharaaj in Siree Raag on ang 73, which has a mention of the word dumalra....

hau gosweI dw pihlvwnVw ]

ho gosaaee dhaa pehiluvaanurraa

I am a wrestler; I belong to the Lord of the World.

mY gur imil auc dumwlVw ]

mai gur mil uch dhumaalurraa

I met with the Guru, and I have tied a tall, plumed turban.

sB hoeI iCMJ iekTIAw dXu bYTw vyKY Awip jIau ]17]

subh hoee shinjh eikutheeaa dhuy baithaa vaekhai aap jeeo

All have gathered to watch the wrestling match, and the Merciful Lord Himself is seated to behold it. ||17||

bhul chuk maaf karni jee

Waheguroo jee kaa khalsa

Waheguroo jee kee fateh

Waheguroo jee kaa khalsa

Waheguroo jee kee fateh

I am not sure abt the dasam granth saloks, but there is one shabad by Siree Guroo Arjan Dev Jee Maharaaj in Siree Raag on ang 73, which has a mention of the word dumalra....

hau gosweI dw pihlvwnVw ]

ho gosaaee dhaa pehiluvaanurraa

mY gur imil auc dumwlVw ]

mai gur mil uch dhumaalurraa

sB hoeI iCMJ iekTIAw dXu bYTw vyKY Awip jIau ]17]

subh hoee shinjh eikutheeaa dhuy baithaa vaekhai aap jeeo

All have gathered to watch the wrestling match, and the Merciful Lord Himself is seated to behold it. ||17||

bhul chuk maaf karni jee

Waheguroo jee kaa khalsa

Waheguroo jee kee fateh

87557[/snapback]

could maharaj be speaking in poetic terms and not to be taken literally? (not saying that anything negative towards a dhumala)

Sat Sri Akal:

"could maharaj be speaking in poetic terms and not to be taken literally?"

Possible...but then, I do not know of wrestlers that wore Dumallas to wrestle. Perhaps the Dumalla is the uniform of that individual who "wrestles" in the world to stay on the path of Gurmat...all in the "arena" of the Almighty?

grin.gif

Gurfateh!!

Well hope this helps:

The first shabad is:

salok ||

Shalok:

path raakhee gur paarabreham thaj parapa(n)ch moh bikaar ||

The Guru, the Supreme Lord God, preserved my honor, when I renounced hypocrisy, emotional attachment and corruption.

naanak sooo aaraadhheeai a(n)th n paaraavaar ||1||

O Nanak, worship and adore the One, who has no end or limitation. ||1||

(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj, Ang 258 ( http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=832 ) )

The next Shabad is not on STTM or i can't find it:

sajje jo dumala shhuttai khoob fararaa.

(apologies if my tranliteration is incorrect)

The following shabad, is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj on Ang 1358 ( http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=4951 ) :

sir masok rakhyaa paarabrehama(n) haso kaayaa rakhyaa paramaesvareh ||

The Supreme Lord God has procted my head and forehead; the Transcendent Lord has protected my hands and body.

aatham rakhyaa gopaal suaamee dhhan charan rakhyaa jagadheesvareh ||

God, my Lord and Master, has saved my soul; the Lord of the Universe has saved my wealth and feet.

sarab rakhyaa gur dhayaaleh bhai dhookh binaasaneh ||

The Merciful Guru has protected everything, and destroyed my fear and suffering.

bhagath vashhal anaathh naathhae saran naanak purakh achutheh ||52||

God is the Lover of His devotees, the Master of the masterless. Nanak has entered the Sanctuary of the Imperishable Primal Lord God. ||52||

The next section of the Paath is an excerpt from the following Shabad ( http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=183 ) Which again is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj, Ang 74.

ho gosaaee dhaa pehilavaanarraa ||

mai gur mil ouch dhumaalarraa ||

sabh hoee shhi(n)jh eikat(h)eeaa dhay bait(h)aa vaekhai aap jeeo ||17||

vaath vajan tta(n)mak bhaereeaa ||

The bugles play and the drums beat.

mal lathhae laidhae faereeaa ||

The wrestlers enter the arena and circle around.

nihathae pa(n)j juaan mai gur thhaapee dhithee ka(n)dd jeeo ||18||

I have thrown the five challengers to the ground, and the Guru has patted me on the back. ||18||

sabh eikat(h)ae hoe aaeiaa ||

All have gathered together,

ghar jaasan vaatt vattaaeiaa ||

but we shall return home by different routes.

guramukh laahaa lai geae manamukh chalae mool gavaae jeeo ||19||

The Gurmukhs reap their profits and leave, while the self-willed manmukhs lose their investment and depart. ||19||

thoo(n) varanaa chihanaa baaharaa ||

You are without color or mark.

har dhisehi haajar jaaharaa ||

The Lord is seen to be manifest and present.

sun sun thujhai dhhiaaeidhae thaerae bhagath rathae gunathaas jeeo ||20||

Hearing of Your Glories again and again, Your devotees meditate on You; they are attuned to You, O Lord, Treasure of Excellence. ||20||

mai jug jug dhayai saevarree ||

Through age after age, I am the servant of the Merciful Lord.

gur kattee mihaddee jaevarree ||

The Guru has cut away my bonds.

ho baahurr shhi(n)jh n nachoo naanak aousar ladhhaa bhaal jeeo ||21||2||29||

I shall not have to dance in the wrestling arena of life again. Nanak has searched, and found this opportunity. ||21||2||29||

So as we can see the Shabads within Salok Damalla Da, are all from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj. If anyone can fine that one Shabad i could not that would be excellent.

Apologies for any mistakes

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Gurfateh!!