Pub, Club, Bar N Parchaar

Nama Singh

"Guru Nanak went to those places where there were bad people doing bad things" ... this is usually used as a defence in going clubbing.

Well maaf karnaa...

Guru Sahib travelled through villages, cities and countryside.

To my knowledge Guru Sahib didn't say "Come On Bhai Mardana lets go where all the drunkards are sitting and lets do Brahmn Vichaar with them..."

Bhul chuk maaf karnaa.

If someone "PERSONALLY" wishes to go clubbing or pubbing then it is between them and the Guru... i don't wanna judge.

However if you are saying that you are going clubbing and pubbing in the name of Sikhi (and I have heard some people telling other Amritdhari that they "SHOULD" go clubbing) then i definately advice those people to read Gurbaani closely, meditate and look deep inside themselves and ask are we justfying something "we" want by saying you are doing it for "Sikhi's" sake.

No answers, just some experiences and ideas to share…

I don’t know if we want to follow the practice of people of other faiths who try to convert people. Generally, with the exception of proclaimers of sikhi, I would learn more about life and faith from one who drinks on occasion and goes to clubs than someone who tries to convert people to their religion. Someone handing out pamphlets at this type of place may simply annoy people there.

I practically never go to clubs pubs although I have been. I have never been to one where it’s set out as a plan.

However, I think those who have not been might make it out to be more “evil” than it is. There is a great deal of healthy and unhealthy ignorance amongst us about these things. There is a thin line between many restaurants and club or pub. The atmosphere at some of these places can vary quite a bit. Most Indian wedding parties are a much sadder display of alchohol use than many pubs. Don’t get me wrong though, I do believe pubs and clubs exist today because people lack independent thought and confidence.

Initially I have been to these places on odd occasions where I was with a group of friends only to find it quite stupid. More recently I have been to places where professionals walk in for lunch only to realize at that point that it’s actually a pub rather than a restaurant. After the first few initial visits, almost always, I have also refused to join friends at a pub or club during an evening where I am already out with those friends. Alcohol aside, I find this type of establishment to promote a rather fake and ingenuine social atmosphere. I find it akin to a group of people who’ve been told that nose picking is a social thing to do and get together to pick their nose. If you’re company is right, you’re more likely to have fun somewhere else even sitting down at a fast food place or coffee shop to socialize.

My experiences with some groups of friends camping or out in the evening etc. and I would not drink. (They were not heavy drinkers, otherwise not likely be my friends)… and I would without any hesitation and with complete calm cheery confidence say that I don’t drink, and also say I don’t want to go to a club or pub. They got to know this and I found that most of the time, I ended up leading the way. The few times i did not I would leave the group without hesitation. They would have a rather mediocre evening and seemed to be less and less interested in going to clubs and pubs.

It seems many young people go there because they hardly think about making a choice just like the nose picker. Btw despite sharing my thoughts here, I never judged or insulted friends about their choice. If they were to read this they would probably not be surprised and likely agree.

Sikhi is a diamond and a diamond is only given to those who know the value of it. Once Guru Ji gave a diamond to Bhai Mardana Ji and sent him in the city to sell it. he went to a "halwayee" guy who offered few kilo ladoos but when he took it to a jeweler, the jeweler gave 100 coins just for darshan and said that the diamond was priceless. So think if you want to take Sikhi, for which our ancestors got cut into pieces, to pubs or clubs. choice is yours. just be sure to justify it to Guru Ji in his darbar. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

http://allaboutsikhs.com/gurus/gurugobind5.htm

BHAI JOGA SINGH:

From the early youth Joga Singh was living at the Guru's Darbar and was a great devotee. One day Guru's eye caught him and he asked what his name was. He replied," O true king, my name is Joga Singh." The Guru asked," Whose Joga you are?" (Joga means for whose service he is fit or simply for whom he is?) "I am Guru Joga (I am in the service of the Guru)," replied Joga Singh. Upon this the Guru promised," If you are Guru Joga, then Guru is tere Joga ( then the Guru is for you)."

After sometimes Joga Singh went to his home in Peshawar for his marriage. When the marriage ceremony was half-way through, a man arrived with an urgent message from the Guru to him to proceed to Anandpur without delay. Joga Singh read the command and instantly left for Anandpur without completing the marriage ceremony. He obeyed Guru's order over everything else. Indeed the path of the devotees is sharper than the edge of a razor blade, and it is even narrower than the hair-breadth on which they have to tread.

Joga Singh continued his journey to Anandpur as fast as he could. After passing through Lahore and Amritsar, he reached a resting spot at Hoshiarpur. On his way his ego got inflated and he thought," Who could have acted like me? Certainly very few Sikhs would carry out the Guru's order like me." This sense of pride brought his fall. At night he was overwhelmed by evil-passion and he started towards the house of a prostitute. Joga Singh was wearing Guru's uniform- a turban and beard. On his way to the prostitute, Joga Singh talked to himself," If some one sees me going into the house of a prostitute, it will bring disgrace to the Guru. Outwardly I am in Guru's attire. So nobody should see me entering the prostitute's house."

As soon as he reached near the house of the prostitute, a watchman appeared saying aloud," Be aware fellows!" Joga Singh could not enter the house and he walked on to the next street. Looking around and thinking that the watchman might have left, he hurried towards the house of the prostitute again. To his amazement the watchman reappeared shouting," Be aware fellows!" Joga Singh could not afford to be seen by anybody going into the house of the prostitute, knowing in his heart that it would bring slur to Guru's name since he was in Guru's uniform. Finally he quit his evil act after trying a few times without success.

Next morning he started his journey and reached Anandpur. Joga Singh stood mute before the Guru with his head down. The Guru asked him about the well-being of himself and his family but Joga Singh stood mute. The divine Master then addressed him," Joga Singh, do you remember when you said that you were Guru Joga, and the Guru had promised, if you were Guru Joga, then Guru tere Joga." Upon this the Guru further explained,"In the garb of a watchman I guarded you in the streets of Hoshiarpur last night, against the sinful deeds and thus saved you from disgrace." Joga Singh fell on Guru's feet and asked for forgiveness.

Such are the ways of the Master. Once we put our complete faith in him, he does not abandon us. The Guru confirms:

"As long as the Khalsa remain distinct and intact, I shall bless them in every way; When they detract

from the prescribed path, I detest them for ever."

(Guru Gobind Singh)