Sports vs Bhangra

Quest4Akal

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

Guru pyari sadh sangat ji i had an interesting convo with a friend of mine. My friend is not really into sikhi but with guru ji's kirpa he is starting to listen to kirtan a bit. Anyways he put some bhangra on and i walked away, he asked me why do i not like bhangra. I explained to him the lyrics and a lot of the culture promote alcholism, caste system, fighting and other negative things. I told him the mind is filthy enough as it is without the help of these lyrics, and with guru jis kirpa i only listen to kirtan. He asked me about dancing. I told him i think its a waste of time and totally ridiculous to dance to these types of song. He then asked what about dancing to a positive bhangra song. Example "Kaho peeo ashk karo mitro." i said it still a waste becase a gursikh doesn't believe his life is to eat drink and be marry. A gursikh beleves in a disciplined life of seva and simran.

He then asked how about dancing in general? I was like yeah its a waste because it doesn't get you towards the allmighty. Then he asked well you love basketball whats the difference.? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I answered that playing ball is different because it is somewhat a simulation of a battle. You try to best you opponents through team work, and it also builds character somewhat. For example, When your down by a lot of points and you take it upon yourself to come back and win. I mean that doese take some confidence. Anyways i don't know if my answer satisfied him.

WHAT I would like to ask the sangat is what is the difference between sports and bhangra? And if there is no difference then is doing sports wrong? A waste of energy, like dancing? I love playing ball it keeps me in shape and i like the challenge of it, also i try (some of the time) to do simran while playing. Can i get some constructive answers.

Playing sports is healthy. It makes you physically healthy and makes you strong. Bhangra is useless. It might give you some exercise but it looks like kanjarpuna. It is not good. Bhangra is not good because many times people do bhangra and kaam attacks them later. You might not think of kaam at that time but it will attack you later. Bhangra is usually done with dirty music. That brings kaam for sure. No doubt. It might not attack at that time but it will come later. So best thing is to stay away. As for sports. Even Guru Ji played and encouraged Sikhs to play. Competitions were held by Guru Ji. Nihungs doing their magic tricks on horses is also sports. Sports are good. Not bad!

Singh your probably going to disagree. But I love my Sikhi and Punjabi Culture (positive sides). What you got to remember is Bhangra has changed dramatically over the past decade or so due to western inlfuences. I might only be 16 now yeah but I listen to a very wide variety of music, I have been listening to Bhangra since I was a kid, I still to this day listen to old skool Bhangra from the likes of Yamla Jatt, Kuldeep Manak , Surinder Shinda just to name a few.

You got to understand most of the youth who listen to Bhangra dont even know what the tracks are really on about, I agree that some Bhangra tracks bring lust and crap. But look at tracks that talk about the likes of "Udham Singh" and "Bhagat Singh" I find them really inspiring. And yes doing Bhangra does keep you very fit, in fact. Im sorry to say becuase I love the Punjabi culture Bhangra just happens to flow through my blood, but I do understand when you say bhangra promotes alcholism which leads to in some cases fighting.

However you got to understand the lurics where written back in the days, it dont promote caste (I understand how it can be misinterpreted to inc caste) but it just talks about Jatts etc going around their normal life, like when I was in Punjab my cousins used to do kethi da kaam (farming work) and me used to help. They used to work from 5 am - 9 pm and come home a have a peg sheg (few glasses or "session") becuase of thier hard days work I didnt because I dont drink, but hey its up to them.

I listen to alot of other music that has been polluted the same way Bhangra has, due to western inlfuence just a quick example the likes of Bob Marley, Gregory Isaacs (just to name a few) wrote and sang hardcore old skool raga music (Reggae) about normal day lifes and struggles that faced them.

But nowdays its been polluted and filled with lust and crap.

Hope I aint gone of the point, sorry if I have offended anyone didn't mean to at all.

(O Yeah, how many of you lot was at the 1984 Hyde Park march today, hope I saw you there :T: )

Wjkk Wjkf

People may beg to differ with me here,

but I see no difference...it is the intention behind it.

Let me define the boundaries that I look at when I think of bhangra. I think of the cultural dance. It includes synchronized movements done as a team. Co-ordination, flexibility and the ability to be moved by the beat and rythmn constitute what I see as bhangra. This includes, first..an ode to god, and then boliyaan are sung.....

Let me define what I DON'T think of when I see bhangra

1) alcohol

2) people of the opposite sex being lured

3) DIRTY boliyaan (mind you I find heer ranjha and other boliyan to be acceptable because the reference is an imagery of a lover's relationship with god)

As "kattar" as I'm going to sound, bhangra is meant for men. I am not down with the mixed team stuff (not because of anything against women, but more that the 'anakh' of the steps get compromised as the steps are more masculine).

I LOVE going to bhangra competitions to actually see people demonstrate their talent.

Sports is VERY good, if bhangra is taken in the same light I think its good. If sports is done to "impress the ladies" (from a male perspective), as a "baller/player" usually has the connotation of being a "mack"...then the sport has allowed kaam to come in...come in or not; its all about how much you allow things to affect you and how much intention you put towards akaal in your every action.

sports builds ego and aggression (if one becomes a "hog")

so does spirituality if one aims to be "chardiankallah" (get what I mean by this, some people are in it for the 9,9,18)

gurfatehji

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Maajh on Pannaa 142

mÚ 1 sloku ]

ma 1 salok ||

First Mehl, Shalok:

so jIivAw ijsu min visAw soie ]

so jeeviaa jis man vasiaa soe ||

They alone are truly alive, whose minds are filled with the Lord.

nwnk Avru n jIvY koie ]

naanak avar n jeevai koe ||

O Nanak, no one else is truly alive;

jy jIvY piq lQI jwie ]

jae jeevai path lathhee jaae ||

those who merely live shall depart in dishonor;

sBu hrwmu jyqw ikCu Kwie ]

sabh haraam jaethaa kishh khaae ||

everything they eat is impure.

rwij rMgu mwil rMgu ] rMig rqw ncY nµgu ]

raaj ra(n)g maal ra(n)g || ra(n)g rathaa nachai na(n)g ||

Intoxicated with power and thrilled with wealth, they delight in their pleasures, and dance about shamelessly.

nwnk TigAw muTw jwie ]

naanak t(h)agiaa mut(h)aa jaae ||

O Nanak, they are deluded and defrauded.

ivxu nwvY piq gieAw gvwie ]1]

vin naavai path gaeiaa gavaae ||1||

Without the Lord's Name, they lose their honor and depart. ||1||

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

This Shabad is by Guru Amar Daas Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 158

gauVI guAwryrI mhlw 3 ]

ieik gwvq rhy min swdu n pwie ]

haumY ivic gwvih ibrQw jwie ]

gwvix gwvih ijn nwm ipAwru ]

swcI bwxI sbd bIcwru ]1]

gwvq rhY jy siqgur BwvY ]

mnu qnu rwqw nwim suhwvY ]1] rhwau ]

ieik gwvih ieik Bgiq kryih ]

nwmu n pwvih ibnu Asnyh ]

scI Bgiq gur sbd ipAwir ]

Apnw ipru rwiKAw sdw auir Dwir ]2]

Bgiq krih mUrK Awpu jxwvih ]

nic nic tpih bhuqu duKu pwvih ]

nicAY tipAY Bgiq n hoie ]

sbid mrY Bgiq pwey jnu soie ]3]

Bgiq vClu Bgiq krwey soie ]

scI Bgiq ivchu Awpu Koie ]

myrw pRBu swcw sB ibiD jwxY ]

nwnk bKsy nwmu pCwxY ]4]4]24]

gourree guaaraeree mehalaa 3 ||

eik gaavath rehae man saadh n paae ||

houmai vich gaavehi birathhaa jaae ||

gaavan gaavehi jin naam piaar ||

saachee baanee sabadh beechaar ||1||

gaavath rehai jae sathigur bhaavai ||

man than raathaa naam suhaavai ||1|| rehaao ||

eik gaavehi eik bhagath karaehi ||

naam n paavehi bin asanaeh ||

sachee bhagath gur sabadh piaar ||

apanaa pir raakhiaa sadhaa our dhhaar ||2||

bhagath karehi moorakh aap janaavehi ||

nach nach ttapehi bahuth dhukh paavehi ||

nachiai ttapiai bhagath n hoe ||

sabadh marai bhagath paaeae jan soe ||3||

bhagath vashhal bhagath karaaeae soe ||

sachee bhagath vichahu aap khoe ||

maeraa prabh saachaa sabh bidhh jaanai ||

naanak bakhasae naam pashhaanai ||4||4||24||

Gauree Gwaarayree, Third Mehl:

Some sing on and on, but their minds do not find happiness.

In egotism, they sing, but it is wasted uselessly.

Those who love the Naam, sing the song.

They contemplate the True Bani of the Word, and the Shabad. ||1||

They sing on and on, if it pleases the True Guru.

Their minds and bodies are embellished and adorned, attuned to the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

Some sing, and some perform devotional worship.

Without heart-felt love, the Naam is not obtained.

True devotional worship consists of love for the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

The devotee keeps his Beloved clasped tightly to his heart. ||2||

The fools perform devotional worship by showing off;

they dance and dance and jump all around, but they only suffer in terrible pain.

By dancing and jumping, devotional worship is not performed.

But one who dies in the Word of the Shabad, obtains devotional worship. ||3||

The Lord is the Lover of His devotees; He inspires them to perform devotional worship.

True devotional worship consists of eliminating selfishness and conceit from within.

My True God knows all ways and means.

O Nanak, He forgives those who recognize the Naam. ||4||4||24||

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Is this about the actuall dancing or the lyrics??

Bhangra was done back in the day by the farmers at harvest yeh? From what i read on punjabi culture in school...

If you are dancing to the lyrics then yeh its wrong but then if you do proper bhangra, not the crap you get in clubs now days, how much of that is actually implemented into modern day stuff?? from what i used to see and do, not alot as there was no1 who knew how but when i used to watch bhangra displays, the concept was different!! Also there were not really any lyrics, jst a bunch of guys with shiny white teeth smiling away!!!!!!

Bhangra is also quite useful, keeps you on toes!! Something which in Gatkha you need to do??? Be kinda flexible and able to keep ya

Is this about the actuall dancing or the lyrics??

Bhangra was done back in the day by the farmers at harvest yeh? From what i read on punjabi culture in school...

If you are dancing to the lyrics then yeh its wrong but then if you do proper bhangra, not the crap you get in clubs now days, how much of that is actually implemented into modern day stuff?? from what i used to see and do, not alot as there was no1 who knew how but when i used to watch bhangra displays, the concept was different!! Also there were not really any lyrics, jst a bunch of guys with shiny white teeth smiling away!!!!!!

Bhangra is also quite useful, keeps you on toes!! Something which in Gatkha you need to do??? Be kinda flexible and able to keep ya

103182[/snapback]

Pressed rong button!!

Meant to finish with,

keep ya breath while moving!!!

Sorry to offend anyone if have!!

PS, i dont agree to modern day crap bhangra!!

WJKK WJKF

Those dancing TUks people are posting, are being taken out of context, bnasically they say anything u do that doesnt remind u off god or takes u away from god , is no good... so socccer or basketball is the same thing...

if u do bhangra as a 'sport' that doesnt incite lust or doesnt have dirty lyrics... i dont see the difference from that and 'paintballing, or white water rafting, or sports