Indian Movies...more Help :)

Dhoor721

WJKK WJKF

A few months ago, I asked for help with Indian movies and received a lot of positive responses. Because of sikhsangat.com's help, I was able to successfully write a paper for my Indian Cinema and Society class on Maachis.

For my next paper, I would like to write about the misrepresentation of Sikhs in Indian films. For this, I would appreciate any suggestions for any films with Sikhs in them, along with a few facts about the film (whether Sikhs are shown negatively or positively, brief plot summary, etc).

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

WJKK WJKF

There is a movie badal, this movie is about a young boy named badal, whos family was killed infront of his eyes by cops because they thought that someone in their village was hiding a terrorist. They burned and killed everyone in the village. In reality Badal's parents were the ones who were hiding the terrorist. neway he watched his family die but was able to escape, and the terrorist that his parents had helped was the one that took him in.

This movie may show both good and bad sides, for example, this family that tried to help was a Sikh family and very good people, however, it was very subtle (except for the kara on bobby's arm) what was obvious was i think it was a role played by johnny lever ( i think thats his name ) hes a sardar and they just make so many jokes about him, hes drunk walking in the middle of the road, the jokes he makes are very bad aswell.. its very sad...

if u can watch the movie and u'll see what i mean.

Good luck

Fateh

Gadar. Usual Pak-India partition split rubbish. Sunny Deol dons a turban as if it is a baseball cap. Some places he has it on other scenes it is discarded. His sidekick in the truck also has kesh but is shown as a <banned word filter activated>.

WJKK

WJKF

In Gaddar they talk like a hindu is a sikh and a sikh is a hindu.

I dont know where in the movie but a person is saying "you can change into a hindu for him but he can not becom a muslim for you?"

also, on the end this so called Sikh gives up his Sikhi Dharm for the Islam but he can not cheat india for pakistan.

Well, what is more important for a Sikh? Being A GurSikh or being a Good Indian?

Did anyone see the old movie "Vegita" ? Its a very good movie about a Sardar who wants to be a soldier or something. His father is a fake Sikh will his mother is a Hindu. Very good story, links with the partition and the person who is playing the Sardar has a full beard and pug.

A good movie.

WJKK

WJKF

Yea i kind of noticed that Sunny deol accepts islam - <admin-profanity filter activated>?! but he doesnt say hindustand murdabad <_< <admin-profanity filter activated>! He takes the micky! And his sidekick, OMG hes such a clown, he takes the mick.

Also in all of these Patriotical films they refer to HINDU - MUSLIM unity, NEVER SIKHI even tho the Sikhs were the ones who got freedom.

Its sad really.

Fateh.

yea and near the beginning of the movie, he put a tilak on her head and said that now she was a singhani <_< it takes more than just a tilak to make a woman a singhani!!! actually it takes the fact that singhani's dont wear tilak to make them singhanis... (if that makes sense)

plus allthe people that were hacking up the people in the trains were muslim and singhs.... not hindus.... this was the dirty fighting part.. when it was the good fighting... then sunny all of a sudden was hindu :wub:

:wub: pul chuk maaf

Fateh

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. :T:

Gaddar definetely seems like a film that misrepresents Sikhs; I'll definetely use it for my paper.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? It doesn't have to be Bollywood (although it is preferred)--if you have a short documentary on Sikhs in a positive OR negative light, it would be much appreciated. Anything would help.

Thanks!

I dont know any movies from the top of my head rite now but i gotta admit .. i do watch these silly movies to get a good laugh out of them..

We have satellite at home and my parents bring new movies/dramas every week... and i sometimes watch them...

Now.. mostly ALL new movies.. you will find at least ONE SARDAR .. misrepresentated somehow.. so i suggest you just get any random movie i bet you there will be something in that movie. (ie. you may see a sardar in a bar just sitting in the background.. or maybe in a more major role .. or even potrayed as a <banned word filter activated> like one example from gadar ... ) ...

And dont get me started on the punjabi channel ALPHA... hahahaha LOL.gif ... punjabi channel .. hell no .. this i think makes sikhs look more messed .. expecially there soo called "JATT" punjabi movies.... <_<

Its reli sad....

I'd say most 'Punjabi' movies talk about the usual guy and gurl fall in love but their families are from different castes and I think that's a misrepresentation of Sikhs (most of the actors are represented as Sikhs) since they fight over issues such as caste which dun even exsist within Sikhi.

Most bollywood films have a cab driver as a Sikh. Or every time Johny Lever dresses up and plays the role of a Sikh there is punjabi music/dhol playing in background and he is either saying a meaningless joke or drunk for example in the movie Badal(like sony mentioned earlier :TH: ). In there he is either always drunk or can't 'satisfy his woman'.

In Kal Ho Na Ho (even though I love that movie <_< )

They show the main family in which a Punjabi boy married a christain woman and during the prayers scene, they show The Punjabi women looking at Guru Nanank Dev Ji's picture and looked as if they were performing a pooja. And then during a scene where the Grandmother brought an alliance for her granddaughter (a "typical" punjabi/sikh family from india) they show them laughing at stupidness. Also the grandmother of that family says "PP karo" shortform for "Pehri Pehna" which is NOT is Sikhi because daughter's places are not in the feet of neone. and i've personally never heard any Sikh using shortforms like that, i think its ridiculous because they showed that in a number of movies.