Bbc Forum

Nsingh1

Gurfateh

I know a lot of the sangat has left this forum because they are sick of arguing with the hindu majority but now that there are no Sikhs on the forum hindu are getting away with saying what they want. I know that this goes on in a lot forums but this is different because many teachers in the UK use the BBC site as reference. That means that this distorted view of Sikhi may get into schools.

I know that this sounds a bit far fetched but know of many people that use the BBC site as a teaching aid.

no.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/h2/h2.cgi?st...eastern&&sort=T

Why do Hindus think so ? Amod - 1226th post - 15 Mar 2005 13:46

Hi Everyone ! Many times the Hindus have been accused of trying to erase Buddhism, Sikhism and Jainism by claiming that these three religions are part and parcel of Hinduism.

Why do the Hindus consider these religions not as seperate religions but as part and parcel of Hinduism. What do the members on this board think about this topic.

I have my reasons why the Hindus think the way they do but I will let it be known once I come to know the views of this MB in general.

Cheers ! [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: Why do Hindus think so ? SHIVA - 75th post - 16 Mar 2005 10:43

Amod. Interesting topic indeed.

"Hinduism" is not a religion. It is a way of living. Indeed, not just one way of living but many ways of living. Its a culture, its what the individual feels conftable with. One can select to be a devotee of Hanuman or Krishna, Durga or Kali. Indeed all of those gods, goddesses or none of them.

Given Hinduism is many a culture and a name generated not by Hindus but by non-Hindus to define the peoples of the sub-continent - my argument is that everyone in South Asia is a Hindu (at the very least by nature). So even a Muslim is a Hindu but also a Muslim. Their culture is Hindu.

Under this (possibly crude) concept anyone who accepts the culture of South Asia is a "Hindu".

Sat Sri Akal:

Simple way to counter the points: Ask them to define Hinduism...you won't even get a single unified answer. Therefore, the conclusion is that until Hindus cannot themselves produce a cohesive definition that their followers are willing to accept, Sikhism cannot be even evaluated for inclusion or exclusion of that faith.

The fact of the matter is that "Hinduism" is not one tradition...it is a quilt of various tribal religions with separate texts that arose out of different times. The word Hindu comes from the Arabic word of "Thief" (this was explained by Bhai Daljit Singh DDT in a Katha, where he expressed his shame that Vedantics had adopted this word as the name of the religion). So the first time that the olden Vedantic traditions were linked together was by foreign invaders. The one common bonding thread of "Hinduism" is the Brahmin priests. Even in the times of Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib, the rift of the Brahmins of different sections of India was present, as the Brahmin delegation argued between themselves which was superior to the other. One can still go to different states in India and see the stark difference in the dieties and traditions practiced, as every village and town subscribed to a local diety.

The points raised by this Amod that were pasted in this thread are typical RSS propaganda...that everyone in India should be called a Hindu. First of all, peoples in the Indian subcontinent are very diverse. From town to town, there are linguistic, cultural and even religious practice difference (in reference to the tribal religions that encompass Hinduism). There are also diverse genetic differences as well, where the deep South Indians are related very closely to Africans during the first migration out of the African continent and the North, which were from a Eurasian genetic background. To this extent, Pakistanis woulc be called Hindus too, as before partition, they were part of India. This scotch tape definition will not work either.

So until the very definition of Hinduism cannot be agreed upon, the discussion points present have no validity.