why prashaad?

sissy

why do we have prashaad? <_< @

and

it is still a good idea?

the global rise in obesity and decrease in activity does not honour sikhi, in my opinion, because it means we are not honouring our bodies. a bit of prashaad once a day is fine and im sure was fine back in the day........

but prashaad nowadays as one of many daily indulgences with choclate, cakes etc does not seem good...we should not let ourselves get so unhelathy that prashaad provision should be questioned because so long as we lead healthy lives, prashaad can be seen in the light of a blessing and perhaps 'treat'

guru angad dev ji established the need for sikhs to honour their bodies by taking care of our bodies early in sikh history (being the 2nd guru!)

as well as tackling big politics we should not forget our sikhi practise on a day to day level.....im a fan of doing simran whilst jogging whilst holding my kara in my hand to keep me going! fauja singh is the perfect example!

random thoughts.......!!!! blush.gif

I am assuming this is about Maha/Karah Parshaad

Karah Parshaad was started by Guru Nanak Dev Ji. When siddhas met Guru Ji, they wished Guru Ji to do langar and Guru Ji agreed. but Siddhas wanted to "cheat" Guru Ji and everyone changed his appearance. one became a child, the other an old man and so on. Guru Ji prepared Karah Parshaad which everyone could eat - an adult, a child, an old person with no teeth etc. They thought they could cheat Guru Ji but failed. Guru Gobind Singh Ji further emphasized it by introducing "Degh Tegh Jag Meh Dou Chaleh". Karah Parshaad has the power of Sant and Sipahi charatcters. It is also good for the body. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I agree that especially now days Kara parshaad is made too fatty. Of course the easy way is to just reduce the amount of butter (or desi "ghee") you put in it. But i think there is a little 'cultural' problem here too cause I've noticed a lot people putting lots of butter just because they think "putting more is better" without thinking. Sometimes I do pogh of parshad and there is soo much butter that 1/2 (not kidding) of the depth the kirpan goes through is just an oil layer ontop that settled!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

why do we have prashaad? :wub: @

and

it is still a good idea?

the global rise in obesity and decrease in activity does not honour sikhi, in my opinion, because it means we are not honouring our bodies. a bit of prashaad once a day is fine and im sure was fine back in the day........

but prashaad nowadays as one of many daily indulgences with choclate, cakes etc does not seem good...we should not let ourselves get so unhelathy that prashaad provision should be questioned because so long as we lead healthy lives, prashaad can be seen in the light of a blessing and perhaps 'treat'

guru angad dev ji established the need for sikhs to honour their bodies by taking care of our bodies early in sikh history (being the 2nd guru!)

as well as tackling big politics we should not forget our sikhi practise on a day to day level.....im a fan of doing simran whilst jogging whilst holding my kara in my hand to keep me going! fauja singh is the perfect example!

random thoughts.......!!!! blush.gif

92934[/snapback]

Obesity happens due to lack of physical exercise given that it is not a physical illness for someone. I seriously doubt eating the ghee in parshad is the main cause for obesity for an individual. If you exercise reguarly the ghee or any fatty substance in parshad should be the least of your worries. <_<

if u do bhagti, ur food cant effect u...

when u do ardaas and do bhog to the parsahd, it wont effect u, u just have to have faith, if u think the parsahd will be bad for u it will...

both those who eat thanking god for eveyrthing they have, and saying thank u for this good u g ave me, and its not me eating its u, that food can never hurt or effect ur health...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Karah Parshaad was started by Guru Nanak Dev Ji. When siddhas met Guru Ji, they wished Guru Ji to do langar and Guru Ji agreed. but Siddhas wanted to "cheat" Guru Ji and everyone changed his appearance. one became a child, the other an old man and so on. Guru Ji prepared Karah Parshaad which everyone could eat - an adult, a child, an old person with no teeth etc. They thought they could cheat Guru Ji but failed. Guru Gobind Singh Ji further emphasized it by introducing "Degh Tegh Jag Meh Dou Chaleh". Karah Parshaad has the power of Sant and Sipahi charatcters. It is also good for the body.

Thanks Bijla Singh Jee for explaining the historical significance of Karah Parshaad di Degh, but I would be grateful if you or anybody else could explain further:

- How the Siddhas intended to "cheat" Guru Nanak Jee by changing their appearance?

- How does Degh have the characteristics of both Sant and Sipahi?

- What are the "Arth" or meanings of the Shabad "Degh Tegh Jag Meh Dou Chaleh"?

Bhul Chuk Maaf Karnee

Waheguroo

How the Siddhas intended to "cheat" Guru Nanak Jee by changing their appearance?
Siddhas thought Guru Ji would prepare regular type langar for adults. so by using their powers, one became an old man, other a child etc. The intention was that a child or an old man with no teeth cannot eat adult food because it must be chewed. Guru Ji prepared Karah Parshaad and everyone with or without teeth could eat it.
How does Degh have the characteristics of both Sant and Sipahi?

When Gursikhs prepare food they read bani because Bani effects the food. Sarowar of Darbar Sahib is considered holy because Bani is read 24/7. It has cured illness of many people. my physical illness went away after doing ishnaan. Karah Parshaad must be prepared while reading Gurbani. Then it must be brought in the diwaan hall before or during kirtan. Bani effects the Parshaad and instills characters of Sant. By introducing Kirpan, characters of Sipahi are instilled. Sant comes first then Sipahi.

What are the "Arth" or meanings of the Shabad "Degh Tegh Jag Meh Dou Chaleh"?

http://www.searchsikhism.com/degtegh.html

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh