A CALL TO SIKH YOUTH

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

taboo meanin no one actually talks about it. this messsage board aint exactly the same as talkin is it!

what i meant is the girls dressin up ultra revealin is a taboo

end of the day its the parents that can say summin no one else

93871[/snapback]

I know what a taboo is :) i said how is this topic a taboo maybe i phrased it wrong

sory bout that

y is it that the parents can b the only ones to say sumthin?

if the parents are misguided as well is it not our responsibility to help them n show them the way?

parents can b mistaken too

I know this message board isnt exactly the same as tlkaing about it thats why i address these issues in person to individuals i feel need to listen

I'm not the person with all the answers, im a learner as well just like every1 else

i duno nethin bout Sikhi, i commit many sins

If i c sumthin happenin thats wrong in my eyes, i dont care whose children they r, i wont stand around n wait for the parents to correct their children (usualy the parents rnt even around durign nagar kirtins with their children)

im not saying nethin to b harsh or target u

if u think i am i apologize in advance

but

The purpose of me posting on this thread is because its an issue that arises every yr (around vaisakhi) n its sumthin i feel pretty strongly about

i dun jus give my views on this message board and thas it

i practice wha i preach

n preach in person as well hoping someday we can have a proper nagar kirtins like how its meant to be, how Sikhs r suposed to celebrate vaisakhi

taboo meanin no one actually talks about it. this messsage board aint exactly the same as talkin is it!

what i meant is the girls dressin up ultra revealin is a taboo

end of the day its the parents that can say summin no one else

93871[/snapback]

I know what a taboo is :) i said how is this topic a taboo maybe i phrased it wrong

sory bout that

y is it that the parents can b the only ones to say sumthin?

if the parents are misguided as well is it not our responsibility to help them n show them the way?

parents can b mistaken too

I know this message board isnt exactly the same as tlkaing about it thats why i address these issues in person to individuals i feel need to listen

I'm not the person with all the answers, im a learner as well just like every1 else

i duno nethin bout Sikhi, i commit many sins

If i c sumthin happenin thats wrong in my eyes, i dont care whose children they r, i wont stand around n wait for the parents to correct their children (usualy the parents rnt even around durign nagar kirtins with their children)

im not saying nethin to b harsh or target u

if u think i am i apologize in advance

but

The purpose of me posting on this thread is because its an issue that arises every yr (around vaisakhi) n its sumthin i feel pretty strongly about

i dun jus give my views on this message board and thas it

i practice wha i preach

n preach in person as well hoping someday we can have a proper nagar kirtins like how its meant to be, how Sikhs r suposed to celebrate vaisakhi

93872[/snapback]

For further posts PLEASE give credit to the person who taught all this stuff to you ... :)

You know ur brother is GREAT... u should atleast give him credit for his own words tongue.gif

I think the emphasis is placed too much on women and how they dress. I mean, sure, they have to dress appropriately when they go to the Nagar Kirtan (which I do not deny), but we have overlooked the appearance of men as well. There is the mentality that it's women who are "temptresses" and "teases". I mean, not to offend anyone's views, but it seems to me that if women dress inappropriately, she is seen to be "easy". But what about men? I mean, what if they wear their baggy jeans, very tight muscle tops and jeans (yes, some men do that! grin.gif )? Is it alright for men to dress in this manner revealing themselves, but not women? I'm not saying that women have a right to dress like they're going to a party when attending the Nagar Kirtan, all I'm saying is that it goes both ways. Why don't the men wear kurta suits and women wear their suits (which are deemed appropriate, of course!)? Also, it is just not the Punjabi youth that think the Nagar Kirtan is a place to "pick up people"; sadly indidviuals who are married and who probably have daughters of their own do this too :) .

I think the emphasis is placed too much on women and how they dress. I mean, sure, they have to dress appropriately when they go to the Nagar Kirtan (which I do not deny), but we have overlooked the appearance of men as well. There is the  mentality that it's women who are "temptresses" and "teases". I mean, not to offend anyone's views, but it seems to me that if women dress inappropriately, she is seen to be "easy". But what about  men? I mean, what if they wear their baggy jeans, very tight muscle tops and jeans (yes, some men do that! grin.gif )? Is it alright for men to dress in this manner revealing themselves, but not women? I'm not saying that women have a right to dress like they're going to a party when attending the Nagar Kirtan, all I'm saying is that it goes both ways. Why don't the men wear kurta suits and women wear their suits (which are deemed appropriate, of course!)? Also, it is just not the Punjabi youth that think the Nagar Kirtan is  a place to "pick up people"; sadly indidviuals who are married and who probably  have daughters of their own do this too :) .

93883[/snapback]

Im pretty sure everyone mentioned men also who do this along with women tongue.gif

I think the emphasis is placed too much on women and how they dress. I mean, sure, they have to dress appropriately when they go to the Nagar Kirtan (which I do not deny), but we have overlooked the appearance of men as well. There is the  mentality that it's women who are "temptresses" and "teases". I mean, not to offend anyone's views, but it seems to me that if women dress inappropriately, she is seen to be "easy". But what about  men? I mean, what if they wear their baggy jeans, very tight muscle tops and jeans (yes, some men do that! grin.gif )? Is it alright for men to dress in this manner revealing themselves, but not women? I'm not saying that women have a right to dress like they're going to a party when attending the Nagar Kirtan, all I'm saying is that it goes both ways. Why don't the men wear kurta suits and women wear their suits (which are deemed appropriate, of course!)? Also, it is just not the Punjabi youth that think the Nagar Kirtan is  a place to "pick up people"; sadly indidviuals who are married and who probably  have daughters of their own do this too :) .

93883[/snapback]

:) very true and i agree completely