sicques, tigers, and thieves

drawrof

I am sorry to have to make this one short,

I am speaking as a member of the sikh panth and not a timmypanthi-baba......

First and foremost this book, in current times, is a histiographical gift to us. how many people have felt that, as sikhs, we cry and cry and aren't recognized????(probably the majority of us), but this compilation of accounts restores a non-ideological belonging to the greater world. We are old world people, with new world thoughts, caught in the barracade of self pity and disempowerment!

This book is not just ample, but powerfully overwhelming evidence that sikhs have a strong legacy behind them.

I URGE everyone to buy this book! Sacha sauda should have copies of this....we may be young, we may be old....but our next generation deserve to grow up understanding and knowing that their forefathers were a distinguished people.

I'll give a personal story to you all,

every once in a while, I have done tours of one of our gurdwara's here in toronto(for catholic school high school people), and answered questions about the sikh faith etc. I smile, keep it light, but I do tend to express certain things with a bit of seriousness (The light-hearted approach helps to make certain, more serious stuff, stick out).

Well, part of my aim, when talking to people is to show a human commonality. An example I used when referring to the medium of sikh worship and preaching (for a better lack of words) is as follows

1) who here has been hurt in a relationship?

2) who here has heard a song on the radio that you guys have felt has been written for you?

(most people put up their hands).

3) then I go onto explain, " Guru nanak, talked and sang (I go into raags at this point) about his experience, which is at the core of everyone living being...each and every one of you...his words pierced people at a level they could barely fathom, and that opened them up to something profound..to which they said "waheguru"

Now, this relates back to the book, because the same authors wrote warrior saints (another MUST HAVE)...and that book has pictures. I ALWAYS show the pictures of sikhs in flanders field......

for all you canadians, we have grown up reciting, "in flanders field"...and the people you see are "sikhs". This hits home, we have "physical proof" that we were a part of history!!!!

This book sheds sikhs in a real light, and helps us and others connect to sikhi at a real level!!!!!

by us, buying, absorbing, learning and communicating the painstaking efforts of what amandeep madra and paramjit singh have undertaken...we are doing our duty as ambassadors of sikhi...and JUSTICE to their efforts!

I say, with full heartedness, that this is a MUST HAVE and indispensable compilation with VERY NEUTRAL and SOUND commentary.

I have read 3/4 of the book. I will read it through thoroughly twice, before I give details of what is good (without giving too much away).

Buy the book! its worth not going to timmy's for 2 weeks .

ps...still in exam time, so my thoughts aren't as clear, but I will write more.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry to have to make this one short,

I am speaking as a member of the sikh panth and not a timmypanthi-baba......

First and foremost this book, in current times, is a histiographical gift to us. how many people have felt that, as sikhs, we cry and cry and aren't recognized????(probably the majority of us), but this compilation of accounts restores a non-ideological belonging to the greater world. We are old world people, with new world thoughts, caught in the barracade of self pity and disempowerment!

This book is not just ample, but powerfully overwhelming evidence that sikhs have a strong legacy behind them.

I URGE everyone to buy this book! Sacha sauda should have copies of this....we may be young, we may be old....but our next generation deserve to grow up understanding and knowing that their forefathers were a distinguished people.

I'll give a personal story to you all,

every once in a while, I have done tours of one of our gurdwara's here in toronto(for catholic school high school people), and answered questions about the sikh faith etc. I smile, keep it light, but I do tend to express certain things with a bit of seriousness (The light-hearted approach helps to make certain, more serious stuff, stick out).

Well, part of my aim, when talking to people is to show a human commonality. An example I used when referring to the medium of sikh worship and preaching (for a better lack of words) is as follows

1) who here has been hurt in a relationship?

2) who here has heard a song on the radio that you guys have felt has been written for you?

(most people put up their hands).

3) then I go onto explain, " Guru nanak, talked and sang (I go into raags at this point) about his experience, which is at the core of everyone living being...each and every one of you...his words pierced people at a level they could barely fathom, and that opened them up to something profound..to which they said "waheguru"

Now, this relates back to the book, because the same authors wrote warrior saints (another MUST HAVE)...and that book has pictures. I ALWAYS show the pictures of sikhs in flanders field......

for all you canadians, we have grown up reciting, "in flanders field"...and the people you see are "sikhs". This hits home, we have "physical proof" that we were a part of history!!!!

This book sheds sikhs in a real light, and helps us and others connect to sikhi at a real level!!!!!

by us, buying, absorbing, learning and communicating the painstaking efforts of what amandeep madra and paramjit singh have undertaken...we are doing our duty as ambassadors of sikhi...and JUSTICE to their efforts!

I say, with full heartedness, that this is a MUST HAVE and indispensable compilation with VERY NEUTRAL and SOUND commentary.

I have read 3/4 of the book. I will read it through thoroughly twice, before I give details of what is good (without giving too much away).

Buy the book! its worth not going to timmy's for 2 weeks .

ps...still in exam time, so my thoughts aren't as clear, but I will write more.

93738[/snapback]

I have purchased this book and it is absolutely diabolical compared to Warrior Saints. Plus it has derogative topics particularly about Bhang and Jatka.

I recommend Bhai Sahib Bhai Rama Singhji and Bhai Sahib Bhai Randir Singhji books.

A TOTAL WASTE OF £50

This is a book on history,

not an IDEOLOGICAL work that discusses the tenets of sikhi!

You see a power, a "real" presence acknowledged by non-indians... this in itself qualifies it for an excellent buy.

and my advice to all, use your own reason and judgement to decide what is right and wrong. Many people are high strung and judgemental, doesn't mean that their virtues should be discounted.

Baldeep Singh,

With all due respect, you have no idea of what you are talking about LOL.gif

This is an excellent must buy book.............it contains invaluable eye witness accounts of Sikhs through the eyes of Europeans and some of these accounts may be biased..............but hey that is what history is all about..........

Definitely but this book. A must for any Sikh Historian :)

This book must be a nice book just like warrior saints. I respect Amandeep Singh Madra as a historian but the other co-author of the book 'Parmjit Singh' is part of the UK nihang crew. Although, I don’t doubt the fact that he is very knowledgeable, but I would use some critical thinking when reading anything written by anyone associated with the UK Nihangs no matter how scholarly it may appear.

This book must be a nice book just like warrior saints.  I respect Amandeep Singh Madra as a historian but the other co-author of the book 'Parmjit Singh' is part of the UK nihang crew.  Although, I don’t doubt the fact that he is very knowledgeable, but I would use some critical thinking when reading anything written by anyone associated with the UK Nihangs no matter how scholarly it may appear.

94062[/snapback]

Singh 47 ............you have hit the nail on the head...................any Historian worth his salt must Critically appraise any eye witness accounts and allow for personal biase the authors may have..........

.......but the books in questions are excellent and I must state again the juvenille statement by Baldeep Singh shows a lake of scholary and maturity on his part............I suppose he's best suited to arguing over tables and chairs........ LOL.gif

I'm sure Sunny and Facts would misinterpret these books without using any sense of critical thinking... eh Randip Singh...

94520[/snapback]

LOL.gif You are spot on Singh 47……… :TH: …….both sides would try and spin the eyewitness accounts to suit their respective pro-Jat and pro-Bahman agendas…………………the irony of it is, both these sides hate each other, but they flip sides of the same coin…………….they are both as despicable and as racist as each other………….. :)

Singh47…………have we met before? :)

I'm sure Sunny and Facts would misinterpret these books without using any sense of critical thinking... eh Randip Singh...

94520[/snapback]

LOL.gif You are spot on Singh 47……… :TH: …….both sides would try and spin the eyewitness accounts to suit their respective pro-Jat and pro-Bahman agendas…………………the irony of it is, both these sides hate each other, but they flip sides of the same coin…………….they are both as despicable and as racist as each other………….. :)

Singh47…………have we met before? :)