Smoking Vs Drinking

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why smoking is deemed to be more taabo than drinking....why do socalled sikhs drink but dont touch the cigerete (at least publicaly)

wats ur views

101029[/snapback]

As an ex-drinker.... the justification is that alcohol can be used for medicinal purposes (relaxing, thinning blood etc)............but the way I see it you are numbing your senses and emotions, which you need to be in touch with Waheguru.....that is why I do not consume alcohol and never will again.

Smoking is just plain bad for the body, it weakens the immune system, it weaken the bodies cells, causes cancer, it is un-sociable, it is dirty and un-hygenic............and as a Sant-Siphai it weakens your body and your ability to fight......

Alcohol over prolonged excess will do the same...........

Avoid things that are bad for the mind and body.....

Both r as bad as the other, whether ur drinkin or smokin there aint no excuses like medicinal reasons...dats jus lame. Reason drinkin is seen as ok is cuz so many people do it, and hav dun even from back in india/africa or whereva ur parents n dat cum from. 10 yrs or so from 2day smokin will probably b seen as cool jus like alcohol is today. studpid really but dats da way it is....well dats wat i think.

Peace

Both r as bad as the other, whether ur drinkin or smokin there aint no excuses like medicinal reasons...dats jus lame.  Reason drinkin is seen as ok is cuz so many people do it, and hav dun even from back in india/africa or whereva ur parents n dat cum from. 10 yrs or so from 2day smokin will probably b seen as cool jus like alcohol is today. studpid really but dats da way it is....well dats wat i think.

Peace

101036[/snapback]

i wudnt even say 10years!! more like 5!!!!

I used to drink but not smoke, i drank coz it seemed the norm in the community!! i hadnt had much of a Gursikh crowd until i went to uni so as i was with goray and went to so many weding parties, all is aw was alcohol!!

They are both as bad as each other, its probably got something to do with the fact drinking is more like a daily thing, you jst pour it like a normal glass of juice or something but smoking takes an effort! Smoking also makes the clothes stink!!! When people smoke they are prone to getting caught!! where as smoking means they jst gota act normal and eat loads chewing gum!!

both as bad as eachother, best advice is stop before yuo really mash up your bodies! failing that! think how much money you waste on em in a year!! then look at what you have to show for it!!!!!!! - when you start workin and listen to people moan about how skint they are and how they cnt go down the pub (i work with goray...) you stop and think, if you cut out the fags and the alcohol!! you will have loads more cash! and beable to get a nice car, house etc!

Recently on Channel 4 I think, was a set of programs going threw various intoxicants from A-Z and what the causes and inflictions are from them. Smoking causes many forms of illnesses, from deafness to impotency (We dont want that do we), hair loss, teeth decay and facial aging (wrinkles).

Alcohol - If you puked up whilst you were in your sleep, you could choke on your own vomit and die - Actually I know of a lad who died from this he lived in my area no.gif . sad really. Even alcohol causes impotency

P.S. I recorded these set of programs and have em on AVI.

Gurfateh!!

They are both as open and as bad as each other.

I see 'Singhs' smoking weed so much in birmingham, it seriously takes the mick. They sneak out their houses, go into alleys, and carry aftershave with them to cover the smell.

Both drinking and smoking are big problems in our community.

Education is the key and it needs to be taught to an earlier ages than ever before.

Gurfateh!!

We need to sort this out.

hands down, but we cant do it in a way that we start to preach, that only switches them off!

humour is needed to counter attack this.

"make them laugh, make them buy"

an old media term.

preaching will make them go far away from sikhi, humour is the best way to educate people these days.

suggestions anyone?

gustaphi maaf