is it ok for a sikh girl to marry a black man

What is in a punjabi name , that is not in a goreh name? Is the punjabi name superior? and the goreh name inferior?

If you think so , then let me remind you that Guru Nanak Dev Ji said "All the human race is one" . So why get upset by these small issues.

Only if you take amrit , then accordingly you put a Kaur or Singh behind your name. If you are born by birth into Sikh family and have that title behind your name, it doesnt necessarily mean that you are true sikh.

If you want to know who is a true sikh, then try feeling the heart of such a person when he/she reads bani, if you find love for the Guru, then you will know for yourself.

Concerning marriage as you say a sikh should only marry a sikh, then who is a sikh, According to that rehat you posted, it should only be an amritdhari male and female, there is no difference in the where both of them havent taken amrit.. to say the least there is pretty much no difference in the one who hasnt taken amrit and is from a sikh family and devoted to the Guru, and one who is not from a sikh family, but devoted to the Guru.

This topic is not required in the first place. no point to it. just blabber and argument

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

This topic is not required in the first place. no point to it. just blabber and argument

I disagree. guv86_sikh_from_peckham had a question and s/he was searching for an answer. To say that the topic in itself is pointless is an insult to him/her. I agree that some posts made weren't helpful in answering, but the point of having this message board, as far as I know, is to discuss our beliefs in order to further ourselves as Sikhs. It should be done in a civilized way, yes, and I think that is where a lot of us are falling behind.

Regarding a "Sikh girl marrying a black man", I believe that only Amritdhari Sikhs can be married in the ceremony of an Anand Kaaraj. When we see guys growing their beards in the week prior to getting married to look good for the camera, this is a silly tradition that was once an actual commitment. There was a time when a couple was not able to get married in a Gurdwara without being Amritdhari. They would have to either take Amrit or promise to take Amrit. This is why men started growing their hair before a wedding. And you know what? They actually kept their promises. There were cases where Amrit was broken, by mistake or on purpose. Some got ideas to 'fool' Guru Sahib into thinking they would keep their promise to take Amrit but then never did.

That brings us to this day and age, where Punjabis go and get married in a ceremony for Sikhs of Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj in halls/clubs/pubs.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sikhs are supposed to marry other Sikhs. Race has nothing to do with it.

I find Purathansher's comments kind of offensive since I have a lot of black/white friends. You know, sometimes people from other races have a better feeling for what Sikhi is about than our own people. You have black people that are so touched by Sikhi that are willing to learn everything they can about our guru's teachings - and then you have our Punjabi folk that don't even know the names of our gurus. Tell me, is it black and white people not worthy of being called Sikhs, or are our own people the ones that are unworthy?

Purathansher - please don't take my comment offensivly. I just think you neeed to be more open-minded.

open minded is not needed, i am upset that our own Sikh ppl have flopped so much that it mite others that r not born Sikhs 2 bring the religion back up again.

But the reason we have been born in2 Sikhi is because in our previous joon we had done a lot of paat and bhagti, to unable us 2 be born in2 Sikhi, as every1 knows Sikhi and Taking Amrit is the last stage to reaching Sachkand, i agree with wot many have said, if u r a christian b a christain 2 the fullest extent, if u a muslim b a muslim 2 the fullest extent, etc. and if u have been a good human being and a person of God, u will b rewarded with the Gift of Sikhi and by taking amrit, with a good rehat and enough sincere paath and simran, u will reach Vaheguroo.

Everyting in this world is controled by Vaheguroo we r nuthin but mere human beings.

Everyting in this world is controled by Vaheguroo we r nuthin but mere human beings.

109184[/snapback]

Exactly! :T: Everything in the world is controlled by Waheguru - everything happens according to His Will. That means that if a gora or kalla not born in Sikhi discovers it and decides to follow it, it is due to His grace. You shouldn't worry about other races coming into Sikhi because if God wants it to be so it will happen. And like you said, we are nothing but mere humans - we cannot say who does or does not 'deserve' to be a Sikh.

Paurathensher, I am curious to know - have you ever been onto Sikhnet.com? Because if you have you'll be interested to know that the webmaster is a gorra.

And have you ever seen the show "Insights Into Sikhism"? Because the host is also a gorra Gursikh. You should see him speak - you can just tell he has so much passion and love for Sikhi, even moreso than many birth-sikhs.

I understand if you are offended that a Sikh women would marry a non-Sikh. I agree with you that it is not real love, and that they should only concentrate on their love for guruji. However, I disagree when you argue that we should not spread Sikhi.

Why would we not want others to come onto this beautiful path?

i recently witnessed a marriage of a sikh girl and a black boy in a gurdwara. please give me views on how you feel about this.

also the black boy wanted to become a sikh............but realisticly speaking do you think a black boy would want to become a sikh? this happened in london.

108452[/snapback]

Whats weird about that, In surrey b.c 2 men got married together in a gurdwara no.gif

if guru ji said that we should all be one, then why did they create sikhism? when the guy came to the gurdwara he had his dread locks tied up underneath his turban. Do you really think people would want to become sikhs. most sikhs are born sikhs. the convetable alway tend to convert back to what they were. now people say that theres nothing in the Granth Sahib that states we cant marry people of different racis but, people only find what there looking for. so if you were looking for something that says they cant marry than your bound to find it

giayni takhur singh in his sukhmani sahib katha used to say that a true gursikh would never do nindiya of another gursikh....

lets take a look at Purathansher Singh's Fauj's comments about our fellow gursikhs from the white race...he didn't mention individuals, instead made a blanket statment

i know several of these gursikhs who keep strict rehit that would make all of us look like crap...yet...this internet fauji thinks they aren't good enough to be singhs....talks about the warrior blood not in them...talks about them not being proper sikhs...

hmmm...

seems like nindiya to me...no?

i should be careful...in not saying too much....he might get the internet fauj after me...