Regarding sikh women

Guest Manprit Khaira

What I need explained to me is why do some people have problems with people that say do not do sewa while you are on your period.

If you want to then fine go ahead no one knows so no one can stop you.

But why then do you have a bath in the morning.

People who respect Guru Ji totally, will bathe before they begin to read Guru Ji, and if they have to go to the toilet they will not just wipe with a tissue and get back to Guru Ji, they will in fact bathe again.

Now let me remind those of you who have forgotten what a period means, it means that you are as unclean as a person with urine on their clothes.

No one said a person who urinating is impure BUT at that time that is certainly UNCLEAN.

I think women should not stop going to the Gurdwara Sahib at that time OR even stop doing their nitnem BUT I would not go to the Gurdwara to do sewa of Guru Ji, ie.to clean manji sahib or etc etc.

Get over it - do paath but remember that to read Guru Ji in their full form MIGHT require a person to be completely clean at that time.

I may be wrong but what I am saying is if someone does believe that then leave it at that and let them for they do have a reason too.

And why oh why do people always use the excuse that Guru Ji didn't say anything on this topic. LOL Guru Ji don't comment on what colour shoes to wear either so maybe that means we shouldn't even wear shoes.

Come on bhen ji let's not use that one because it is WAY different from saying it is ok because Guru Ji said so.

If Guru Ji stay silent on the issue do not always assume it is because they must mean yes LOL.

Guest bhenjii....

The requirement of the Mothers blood is fundamental for life. Thus, the menstrual cycle is certainly an essential and God given

biological process. In other faiths blood is considered a pollutant. However, the Guru rejects such superstitious ideas. Those who are impure from within are the truly impure ones:

ang 140

Page 140

sulok mu 1

Shalok, First Mehl:

jae ruth lugai kupurrai jaamaa hoe puleeth

Should cloth be reckoned impure If one's clothes are stained with blood, the garment becomes polluted.

jo ruth peevehi maanusaa thin kio nirumul cheeth

Those who suck the blood of human beings-how can their consciousness be pure?

naanuk naao khudhaae kaa dhil hushai mukh laehu

O Nanak, chant the Name of God, with heart-felt devotion.

avar dhivaajae dhunee kae jhoothae amul kuraehu

Everything else is just a pompous worldly show, and the practice of false deeds. ||1||

Meditating on Gods’ name is of importance. Whether your clothes are blood stained or not (including clothes stained from menstrual blood) is not of spiritual importance. Thus, there are no restrictions placed on a woman during her menstruation. She is free to visit the Gurdwara, take part in prayers and do Seva.

menstruation and child-Birth” is absent in the Sikh worldview. … Guru Nanak openly chides those who attribute pollution to women because of menstruation

Guest _HaRdKaUr_

this is wrong man, for practical reasons, let say ur sitting on tabiya and u have ure perioud, thas a huge paap

ifmen had something like tha, then ya they cudnt do it either

its not discrimination

its practiclness

this stops no one from doingseva

just not in guru jes tabiya

the area where guru je sits

bhula chuka maf

Have u ever had a period? i'll let u in on something, no woman going thru her menstrual cycle is about to leak out the 5 great lakes. if it is heavy then obviously the woman knows that she should be careful and maybe not sit on tabiya but still, it's never so heavy that you cant control it by wearing a pad. there's certain pads designed for heavy and light days as well, i mean obviously any womans careful when she has her period when doing any activity and the greatest danger of a leak when ur doing some physical work...i think its the woman's call-some have heavier ones than others, and its usually just teh first day or two anyways!!

Guest Guest

It is very simple. Anyone who wants to do direct Seva of Guru Granth Sahib (sit on Tabiya etc) must have had a FULL Kesh Ishnaan beforehand if they have had substances (whether defecation, urine, semen, blood, etc) leave their body from private areas. They must have clean clothes and wear a Hazooria, and their head must also be covered.

If Bibian during their time of the month can fulfill the above criteria they are free to do this Seva. If they cannot, out of respect for Guru Ji, they should not. It is a case of basic hygiene.

• 6 years later...

In Sikhism, the menstrual cycle is not considered a pollutant. Certainly, it can have a physical and physiological effect on the woman. Nonetheless, this is not considered a hindrance to her wanting to pray or accomplish her religious duties fully. The Guru makes it very clear that the menstrual cycle is a God given process. The blood of a woman is required for the creation of any human being.

‘By coming together of mother and father are we created, By union of the mother's blood and the father's semen is the body made. To the Lord is the creature devoted, when hanging head downwards in the womb; He whom he contemplates, for him provides.’ (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, pg. 1013).

The requirement of the Mothers’ blood is fundamental for life. Thus, the menstrual cycle is certainly an essential and God given biological process. In other faiths blood is considered a pollutant. However, the Guru rejects such superstitious ideas. Those who are impure from within are the truly impure ones.

‘Should cloth be reckoned impure if blood-stained, How may minds of such be deemed pure, As blood of mankind suck? Says Nanak : With a pure heart and tongue God's Name you utter : All else is worldly show, and false deeds.’ (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, pg. 140).

Meditating on Gods’ name is of importance. Whether your clothes are blood stained or not (including clothes stained from menstrual blood) is not of spiritual importance. Thus, there are no restrictions placed on a woman during her menstruation. She is free to visit the Gurdwara, take part in prayers and do Seva. In The feminine principle in the Sikh vision of the transcendent Nikky Guninder Kaur-Singh writes ‘The denigration of the female body “expressed in many cultural and religious taboos surrounding menstruation and child-Birth” is absent in the Sikh worldview. … Guru Nanak openly chides those who attribute pollution to women because of menstruation’.

A friend said to me that if a girl/women is menstruating she is forbidden to go to the Gurdwara and take part in seva (preparing langar) or go near the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. This has got me scared and now every time I menstruate I dont tend to go to the Gurdwara and then produce a guilty conscience for not going.

I need to clear this minsunderstanding regarding sikh girls/women. I've heard so many times that if a Sikh girl/women is menstruating they're not allowed near the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, or in the Gurdwara or even allowed to serve or make the Langar. Is this true or is this just a myth/tabboo?

Soo kyo manda aakhiyeeee jis janme rajaan..... Sikhi is chiz nu ni mandi... Guru Gobind Singh g ne kade Munde te kudi ch farak ni kita.......

This thing is given to women by god... n bcoz of this we give birth to child.....

Go ahead... I m a sikh women.... i always visit gurudwara.. in situation.. Jad mere rab nu dikat ni hai.. te hor kise da ki... ...

WE ARE SIKH.... NOT HINDU OR MUSLIM WHERE WOMEN ARE CONSIDERED NAPAAK - UUNPURE...!!

JO BOLE SOOOO NIHAALLLL .............. SAT SHRI AKAL :)

• 2 years later...
Guest sonia

Gupt daasan das ji

Thank u for sharing so much precious info with all of us.

But I wanna ask u....if u think that while menses, a girl is impure then have u not taken birth from that blood only?

Yes we shud take bath nd clean ourselves before doing sewa or sitting with guru ji... But who said that a girl with menses won't take a bath?

Secondly, any guy never masturbates?

OK, he cleans himself with water while bathing...., is it enough.?

Do u really think that cleaning body also cleans mind?

Some ppl are saying here while that period...women are impure.

I wanna ques them, dt if a woman is impure then y guru ji said." So kyun manda aakhiye jit jamme rajaan".

Not only men...some women also have the same thinking....

I seriously dnt blv that women themselves think that they are impure.

Girls...this is. Natural process with which a girl gets respect from society.

Why do u think that u r impure...nd u think that u r impure den I am extremely sorry to say but ur children will also nurture with the same blood.

This all is becoz it is a male dominating society....nd we females just follow dem nd don't even see dt males make them prior every where by finding silly stupids reasons...nd we simply follow them without even thinking once.

U can take amrit...u can do sewa...u can sit beside guru ji.

No one can stop u.becoz everyone is equal in his darbar.

OK suppose. 1 day u r on a period.. Nd u dnt pray...nd u die.

Yamraj will ask u to go sm place...u will ques y u r nt allowed to meet guru ji, although u did prays ur whole lyf. He will tell u...which lyf, in ur last tym u were remembering ur family nd frnds nt God..., u will reply..." How cud I, I was in my menses" !

Girl if luv guru ji, is it necessary to show off...?

U will definitely remind him in ur heart.so ...r u nt worshiping?

Dear...god does nt see activities of ur body... He notices ur heart.

So stop blving that superstitious blvs.

U can go anywhere u want to...nd do wtever u want to.

Bhul chuk Di maafi.

Wjk

Wjf