Facial Hair

Guest Guest

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came here to be enlightened but instead find preechers.

I am looking for guidence and not to be presured to become something I will feel trapped by as I dont have a say.

I read a few posts back that women should not cut their kesh. How do you interperate this? Does this mean hair on your head or your whole body? Where does it say the whole body? I have not seen this being mentioned anywhere?

Now we may argue the fact that men and women are equal, but we are physically different and thus not equal. We are given EQUAL rights to practice sikhi but to force something like "women have to keep facial hair" is utter nonsense.

When Khalsa was formed, it was based on the 5 boloved ones who were all men and not women. So if it were 5 women and not men, would it be the case that men have to take off their beards as it was not part of the original initiation?

Welcome to Sikh Sangat.................you will get used to that.......... :lol: :p

I am looking for guidence and not to be presured to become something I will feel trapped by as I dont have a say.

Well im too lazy to do the digging, only Guru can do that anyway but i will try and offer and balanced and personal view based on the fact that Waheguru has made me, at this moment, a amritdhari bibi with ALOT of facial fair

I read a few posts back that women should not cut their kesh. How do you interperate this? Does this mean hair on your head or your whole body? Where does it say the whole body? I have not seen this being mentioned anywhere?

Again too lazy to answer this properly but if you search gurbani..........you will find many tuks of bani that talk about how man is consumed with physical appearance and how this is mans biggest downfall.......Guru Maharaj uses alot of metaphores and exquisite poetry to express this.........whether our mind is ready to understand this...........well........thats a personal thing......its like looking at a painting.............we take in and appreciate the picture, with all its colours, lines, patterens, textures.......in some cases we become immersed in it............but we forget that...........SOMEONE created that painting............the picture on the canvas is a manifestation of someones soul........if we look inside ourselves............most of the time we see a weak, pitiful state.............or sometimes we see nothing at all............so what do we do? we look around? see what the world is doing and copy that..............cool eh? nice and simple.......women altering their appearance is not different.............we are simply following the ways of the world............

Now we may argue the fact that men and women are equal, but we are physically different and thus not equal. We are given EQUAL rights to practice sikhi but to force something like "women have to keep facial hair" is utter nonsense.

now thats simply a question of perception..............Guru says "heres how it is, I have made you perfect because i love you no matter what........you can have a huge nose with milk bottle glasses and weigh over 21st and i will still love you and take care of you"

Our job is simply to realise this...........realisation is the key to liberation........i looked in the mirror one day and looked at my chin, it was covered in thick, dark course hair over 5cm long..........then i looked at the side of my face and saw equal amounts of the sme hair coming down the side of my face, witha few on my checks and then proceeding all the way down my neck.........Guru Maharaj looked back at me on the mirror and told me how beautful i looked and how much he loved me..............i began to cry.....and there.........i found aceptance..........acceptance of God Will..........acceptance with myself...............BUT...............thats me...............its not the same for everyone................it never will be...................but we should all try and understand that it is the mind that confuses us..........when you step outside the worlds box.....you will fall into Gods arms and His arms will never let u fall... :)

Being a women im about to say the following with a heavy heart but here goes...........sometimes we are our own worst enemy..................we bark on about equality but when it come to practising it we are probably the biggest hypocrites............Women argue about things such as not being part of the panj pyaareh but fail to look at their own life sytle and rehit and failto quetion whether they are good enough to carry out such a service..........

You mention practising sikhi...................you first have to understand what sikhi is...........sikhi begins and ultimatly ends INSIDE you...........sikhi is about discovering the TRUE self........finding God conciousness.............facial hair is a very very very very small thing when you look at discovering yourself....and discovering the depths of your soul

When Khalsa was formed, it was based on the 5 boloved ones who were all men and not women. So if it were 5 women and not men, would it be the case that men have to take off their beards as it was not part of the original initiation?

You raise a very good point there........and in a sense answer your own question..........the 5 beloved................the 5 beloved were all souls............a soul has no gender, colour, creed etc..................and the soul is part of God................it only sees its Owner in all and only knows how to love...........the 5 beloved only saw love for Guru Ji and THAT is what untimatly defines a sikh.............love

Now to sum up.........God has given us Shabd as a guide and Guru to discover our true selves...........He explains the good, the bad and the ugly..........lol..................then he thorws the ball back in our court.............now what you choose to do from there................well..........thats the name of the game.........but what i find tiresome is how people change religion and faith to suit themselves but fail to see the lackings in themselves.................it is the failing to understand ourselves that we ourselves sign and stamp our own death warrents...........

oh dear this has turned out longer than i intended..............sorry.again sorry i didnt mean to preach but just share some of my experiences...

Bhul chuck maafi

:)

Welcome to Sikh Sangat.................you will get used to that.......... :lol: :p

Well im too lazy to do the digging, only Guru can do that anyway but i will try and offer and balanced and personal view based on the fact that Waheguru has made me, at this moment, a amritdhari bibi with ALOT of facial fair

Again too lazy to answer this properly but if you search gurbani..........you will find many tuks of bani that talk about how man is consumed with physical appearance and how this is mans biggest downfall.......Guru Maharaj uses alot of metaphores and exquisite poetry to express this.........whether our mind is ready to understand this...........well........thats a personal thing......its like looking at a painting.............we take in and appreciate the picture, with all its colours, lines, patterens, textures.......in some cases we become immersed in it............but we forget that...........SOMEONE created that painting............the picture on the canvas is a manifestation of someones soul........if we look inside ourselves............most of the time we see a weak, pitiful state.............or sometimes we see nothing at all............so what do we do? we look around? see what the world is doing and copy that..............cool eh? nice and simple.......women altering their appearance is not different.............we are simply following the ways of the world............

now thats simply a question of perception..............Guru says "heres how it is, I have made you perfect because i love you no matter what........you can have a huge nose with milk bottle glasses and weigh over 21st and i will still love you and take care of you"

Our job is simply to realise this...........realisation is the key to liberation........i looked in the mirror one day and looked at my chin, it was covered in thick, dark course hair over 5cm long..........then i looked at the side of my face and saw equal amounts of the sme hair coming down the side of my face, witha few on my checks and then proceeding all the way down my neck.........Guru Maharaj looked back at me on the mirror and told me how beautful i looked and how much he loved me..............i began to cry.....and there.........i found aceptance..........acceptance of God Will..........acceptance with myself...............BUT...............thats me...............its not the same for everyone................it never will be...................but we should all try and understand that it is the mind that confuses us..........when you step outside the worlds box.....you will fall into Gods arms and His arms will never let u fall... :)

Being a women im about to say the following with a heavy heart but here goes...........sometimes we are our own worst enemy..................we bark on about equality but when it come to practising it we are probably the biggest hypocrites............Women argue about things such as not being part of the panj pyaareh but fail to look at their own life sytle and rehit and failto quetion whether they are good enough to carry out such a service..........

You mention practising sikhi...................you first have to understand what sikhi is...........sikhi begins and ultimatly ends INSIDE you...........sikhi is about discovering the TRUE self........finding God conciousness.............facial hair is a very very very very small thing when you look at discovering yourself....and discovering the depths of your soul

You raise a very good point there........and in a sense answer your own question..........the 5 beloved................the 5 beloved were all souls............a soul has no gender, colour, creed etc..................and the soul is part of God................it only sees its Owner in all and only knows how to love...........the 5 beloved only saw love for Guru Ji and THAT is what untimatly defines a sikh.............love

Now to sum up.........God has given us Shabd as a guide and Guru to discover our true selves...........He explains the good, the bad and the ugly..........lol..................then he thorws the ball back in our court.............now what you choose to do from there................well..........thats the name of the game.........but what i find tiresome is how people change religion and faith to suit themselves but fail to see the lackings in themselves.................it is the failing to understand ourselves that we ourselves sign and stamp our own death warrents...........

oh dear this has turned out longer than i intended..............sorry.again sorry i didnt mean to preach but just share some of my experiences...

Bhul chuck maafi

:)

:WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW:

vaheguroooooooooooooo

OMGG seriously..i have got to quit sikhsangat!!

I Can't believe people are sayin bibia SHOULD/ARE ALLOWED as amritdhari bibia to get rid of their hair!

WAHEGUROOO WAHEGUROO!

WTH.im sorry,im jus soo shockedd! How can u say that?? what,jus because the western society says hair on ur face is 'not normal' ofcourse it is!!

Its beautiful,its the most precious thing to us! gurmukh rom rom har dhaiai! when you reach a certain stage,EVERT SINGLE hair on your body wil start japping naam!WAHGUROO. When i see a bibi with facia hair,u have no idea how much inspiration i get,how STRONG and how much pyaar that bibi must have for waheguroo ji,may we all be blessed with that pyaar,that strength to go against the western society

All i can say is,our hair is a gift,we should be fighting to keep our hair! waheguroo,al you bibia and even to the singhs out the rYOUR HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL,NO MATTER WHERE IT IS ON YOUR BODY. and those of you who are saying 'its not natural' i suggest you read more bani. WAHEGUROOO keep your hair BIBIOOO ITS A GIFT FROM WAHEGUROO AND YOU SHOULD BE THANKING HIM ON HOW MUCH OF IT YOU HAVE!!!

Ive probs made loads of spelling errors,im sorry just filled with so much krodh atm! :|

Guest _degh-tegh-fathe_
sorry to tell you gupt dassan dass there is no such ting as a sehjdari sikh. Either you are a sikh or not. Now let me go to the AKAL TAKHT reyat maryada and see what the defention of a sikh is. It says nothing about sehdari anywhere by the way.

CHAPTER 1

The Definition of Sikh :

Article I

Any human being who faithfully believes in

i. One Immortal Being,

ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,

iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,

iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

TRUE TRUE TRUEE plain and simple if your not amritdhari your not sikh...theirs no sehajdhari sikhs...nothing..u rather follow guru sahibs hukkam or u don't, when i wasn't amritdhari i excepted it and others should too. If you remove ANY hair WHAT SO EVER you are not a sikh as u have commited a bujjar kureit, and too the bibi who said guru sahib would have updated his word because today climate/food/life gives bibia more facial hair and he never new that, all i have to say is i dont no what ur on, but u shud stop because ur basicly saying that guru sahib was not jaaani jaaan and he CLEARLY was he knew EVERYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sorry for stating the obvious but this thread is over three years old.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

i know the thread is old my dear brother but the problem the thread is based on is unfortunatly never going to be a problem that will go away anytime soon........

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

sorry to tell you gupt dassan dass there is no such ting as a sehjdari sikh. Either you are a sikh or not. Now let me go to the AKAL TAKHT reyat maryada and see what the defention of a sikh is. It says nothing about sehdari anywhere by the way.

CHAPTER 1

The Definition of Sikh :

Article I

i. One Immortal Being,

iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

TRUE TRUE TRUEE plain and simple if your not amritdhari your not sikh...theirs no sehajdhari sikhs...nothing..u rather follow guru sahibs hukkam or u don't, when i wasn't amritdhari i excepted it and others should too. If you remove ANY hair WHAT SO EVER you are not a sikh as u have commited a bujjar kureit, and too the bibi who said guru sahib would have updated his word because today climate/food/life gives bibia more facial hair and he never new that, all i have to say is i dont no what ur on, but u shud stop because ur basicly saying that guru sahib was not jaaani jaaan and he CLEARLY was he knew EVERYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

sorry to post on this old thread but western observers and historians have noted that there were sehajdhari (known as khalaasa as opposed to khalsa) sikhs in the 18th and 19th centuries. they were people who were building their sharda and rehat with the ultimate goal of taking amrit and this included keshdhari and money (at different spiritual levels), in puraatan times alot of sehajdhari sikhs were looking after gurdwaras when the khalsa were fighting the moghuls and afghans. so to say that only amritdharis are sikhs is abit exclusive.

also there was recent talk of changing the definition of sehajdhari but i think sgpc ignored the expert advice and stuck with the original definition

CHAPTER 1

The Definition of Sikh :

Article I

i. One Immortal Being,

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

sorry to post on this old thread but western observers and historians have noted that there were sehajdhari (known as khalaasa as opposed to khalsa) sikhs in the 18th and 19th centuries. they were people who were building their sharda and rehat with the ultimate goal of taking amrit and this included keshdhari and money (at different spiritual levels), in puraatan times alot of sehajdhari sikhs were looking after gurdwaras when the khalsa were fighting the moghuls and afghans. so to say that only amritdharis are sikhs is abit exclusive.

also there was recent talk of changing the definition of sehajdhari but i think sgpc ignored the expert advice and stuck with the original definition

They are sevadaars in my eeyes, thats all. They are not singhs of guru sahib yet...Ppl that say its ok if ur heart is in the right place and if u do good deeds, u dont need to take amrit:"rehat pyari mujko, sikh pyara nahi". they are on the right path, but cannot say anything on the behalf of a singh because the same rules dont apply...if a mona sehajdhari goes around sayin u can cut ur hair and still be a sikh, ppl are going to think that the real singhs believe that aswell....