New Sikh Cartoon

tarunjeet singh

WAHEGURUJIKAKHALSAWAHEGURUJIKIFATEH

I have seen this movie, and it has some very good points in it. It encourages kids to be proud to be Sikhs and keep hair...BUT...

The movie is VERY VERY one-sided. In the whole movie they say "SIKH BOYS MUST WEAR A KARA, AND KEEP KES"...but when it comes to girls...they are wearing all sorts of jewellery and earrings and decked out in gold, and not one woman in the movie has her head covered.

The grandma in the movie teaches the kids about Sikhism but she is very hypocritical. She tells Sunny that Sikhs must keep their heads covered to keep their hair clean, yet she never has her head covered in the whole movie (exept the Gurudwara scene). The grandma gives Sunny's sister some bangles to wear, and when Sunny says, "where are my my bangels?"...the grandma says, "Sikh boys don't wear Bangles, Sikh boys wear Karas"...so girls don't have to wear Karas? (and they don't in the movie, including the Grandma and mom, who have on plenty of gold bangles instead)

Also in the movie they call Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji a 'holy book', which I can't believe people still do. And Sunny's dad doesn't have a long flowing beard, its either trimmed or tied up. The movie also says that Guru Gobind Singh Ji never cut off the heads of the Panj Piaray in 1699, and that He was only testing His Gursikhs.

The biggest thing that bothered me about the movie was how there is no reference to a 'Sikh' woman wearing a Kara, or keeping Kes, or taking Amrit, yet if a Sikh boy does not do these things, then according to the movie -"They are not Sikhs".

Overall, i would say the movie is good...BUT...when showing it to kids, you must pause it on several parts and explain to them some of the information that is just plain wrong. I hate to sound so negative, but a movie that is targeted to kids is going to basically teach them about Sikhism. The info should be correct. But i do applaud the effort of the people who made this film, as kids do learn about being brave and keeping their hair.

WAHEGURUJIKAKHALSAWAHEGURUJIKIFATEH