Pittsburgh Nightclubs Decide to Allow Sikhs inTurb

nanosecond

Pittsburgh Nightclubs Decide to Allow Sikhs inTurbans

India West, News Report,

Lisa Tsering, Oct 03, 2003

Six popular restaurants and nightclubs owned by a Pittsburgh, Pa., chain have amended their "no hats" dress code to allow turbans and other religious head-coverings, according to a press release issued Sept. 29 by Sikh Mediawatch and Resource Task Force.

SMART had teamed with attorney Ravinder Singh Bhalla and the Anti-Defamation League of Cleveland, Ohio, to protest the way club staffers treated Harpreet Grewal, 27, a turbaned Sikh who was turned away twice from night spots owned by Tom Jayson, a local Pittsburgh entrepreneur.

In July 2002, Grewal and his wife, Gultaj, had tried to get into Donzi's Restaurant to celebrate Gultaj's birthday, but were turned away because Grewal was wearing a turban.

In July 2003, he and his wife tried to get into Touch, a nightclub also owned by Jayson, and were again denied entry.

"While my wife and I were in line, we were approached by an employee of the club who told us I wouldn't be allowed in unless I removed my turban," Grewal told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I explained that it is an article of my faith and I couldn't comply with such a request."

Grewal is a graduate of Stanford University and the University of Michigan Medical School, and he is now working as an intern at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

Preetmohan Singh, a SMART spokesman, told India-West Sept. 29 that Jayson's new policy will help "allow Sikhs to go about their everyday business without having their deeply held beliefs equated with a fashion statement li

ke baseball caps."

As of Sept. 29, the Web site for Touch states the following dress code: "no headwear, athletic wear, baggy clothing, t-shirts, shirts with logos, or shorts (subject to manager's discretion)."

SMART publishes a free brochure in PDF format entitled "Know What to Do," outlining the civil rights of turbaned Sikhs or anyone else who faces discrimination, hate crime or harassment. Visit www.sikhmediawatch.org to download the brochure

a nightclub is a morally wrong place for a sikh.

a sikh should not be in the area of sharab in the first place.. after that people do bring drugs, get high.. then they go on the dance floor and "freak" basically having sex with clothes on.. is this an environment for a gursikh?? NO.

Guest mehtab

i m 24

been in USA for 5 years

the # of times i have seen such an atmosphere is less than 7

shud i say shame on me OR Gurujee's meher on me ??

any1 can think whatever they want :umm:

i know what it is :umm: