Just Trying To Improve My Life

SikhWitIt

Yea, first of all ive been coming on these forums for the last month but decided to join today because i need some help. Firstly, Im 17 live in queens, ny and dont consider myself to be very religious although i have my hair, havent done any drugs or any other of that bad stuff. What is bothering me is all these temptations though for cutting my hair and getting into that <admin-profanity filter activated>. I was also a very good student but im cutting many classes, and not doing my work. Its senior year and im going to college and I want to be something succesful like my parents planned for me to be. I bought a gutka around 3 years ago when i went to India which was my first time. Well i heard that praying in the morning is good and does wonders. I have no idea whts in the gutka or what to do. Please someone tell me what to do, and i have the english version so can i read it in english because i cant read it in punjabi. Will this set my mind straight and help concentrate on my work and stop procastinating? I also need to start studying for sats but i havent. Im really worried about my future now but is doing paat in the morning the answer? Plz someone help and sorry if i disrespected someone or something

Anything related to God, whether that involves doing paath or simran (meditaton) is a good start. If you are tempted to cut your hair or get involved in bad things than doing more simran and paat will definetely help you. Waheguru always finds a way to help his children. You'll find that as you do more simran and paat, your mind begins to be at peace and all worries that you had seem to just go away. But remember that you shouldn't be doing naam simran and paat just to get rid of these thoughts that you are having. Don't get be wrong...this is a valid reason but you should also be doing it to bring you closer to God. When you do paat, try to understand the meaning instead of just reading it for the sake of reading. It becomes more meaningful that way. You can actually get english translations (translations of the meaning) of the whole gutka off the internet. Try www.sikhitothemax.com

hope this was helpful! blush.gif

It’s all about the love man, straight up

We all are at different stages in the journey

Some go to God/Guruji cause they having some life issues

And that’s fine cause at least we’re showing we believe

Maybe this time in your life, all this confusion and what not

Maybe it’s just a tool you’re being given…hear me out….

You have a need, and you turned towards gurbani…so don’t you think there’s

Something special about that? I think so man

Guruji has givin you this need, and Guruji is gonna fill it for you

At first you’ll just concentrate on the need (getting into a good college)

But then you will see there’s more,

Stuff you only heard about but never believed

So yeah man, go ahead and do the simran

Cause that’s the best thing you can do for your mind

Read the English translations, that’s nice

Also set aside some time in the morning or whenever

Go into your room and just close your eyes and start saying vaheguru

It might take 10 minutes cause at first you’ll be forcing yourself

Eventually your crazy mind goes silent and starts listening to what you’re saying

Then the sound of “vaheguru” sounds sweet…

Pretty soon, you wanna do the simran, not for anything

In particular, but cuase it feels good

And that’s the point we’re all trying to get at, where doing simran and paath feels good

We all got needs, just talk to Guruji, go to the gurdwara and just sit there with your eyes closed and ask him, ask him that he's all you got, and you're turing to him in need...but do it with genuine love man

Good luck man, hope this odd post helped somewhat

You are already on the way to improve your life. The first and the most difficult step is to admit that you are moving toward wrong way. If you want to do good in studies, then keep really strict amritvela; try getting up at 5am with no questions asked, take bath and do Naam simran. Just doing that you will suddenly see the positive change in yourself.

The below quote is the preface of Bandgi Nama book by Bh. Raghbir singh.. i posted the same quote in several blogs and it helped to understand basic situation of having dukh and so on...

Man, in his arrogane, makes plan and depends for his happiness upon their fulfilment. If his plans succeed there is no end to his desires. He becomes greedy and selfish. It adds to his lust. Lust is an animal passion. If his plan fail he bemoans his lot. The result is there is tension, anxiety and fear all round. Finding noway out he runs after shadows. He feels frustrated and realizing the peace of mind evading him, in spite of eonomic euphoria, he begins to wonder and wander, and eventually through trial and errors, realizes that there must be refuge somewhere else. And that "Somewhere". Bhai Raghbir Singh Bir tells us through his book, "Bandgi Nama" is in the "Name of Merciful." wherein exists comfort, peae and happiness, unalloyed by woe and worry.

waheguru

awesome replyes

umm ....i hve heard many people tellme that it has helped them in studies. nd sure it does! and as Jai Teygan has beautifully put it...its a process..prolly the first step for most of us!

Bhai Randir Singh (if im not wrong)was given Gutka by his dadji and was instructed to do Japji sahib and Rah ras(i think) when he was studyin...doing his BA at that time!

and rest.... most of us know what happend after wards :nihungsmile:

jus trust Guru sahib!

its easy to be tempted to cut ur hair...but once u start doin simran u will realize the value of ur Kesh! just stay away from people who say "oh u should try this hair cut..it wouldlook goo don u..." etc but mostly dont let ur mind think of cuttin ur hair! u have the will power...Guru sahib ji is always with us..Akals everywhere.

no one can make us cut our hair or do something...it only happens when we are ignorent...dont kow much..and fell pray to the talk/excuses and think oh he/she is right!jus msake ur self aware of the reason of why u keepin kesh...and what it means to be a Sikh

(wow...i talk so good...lwish i could apply this to my self more offten LOL.gif )

be in sangat of Gurmukhs!

bhul chuk muaf karni

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru jiki fateh

i once did a big essay while at university and while i was doing the work i always had waheguru simran on in the background on a tape player, i got an excellent result and on the comments the teacher was meant to type "a GOOD piece of work" ... however instead he wrote "a GOD piece of work" ...this taecher never made typo errors, so it made me think how much waheguru helps if you remember him

the answer is "ADVISE"

LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif

124432[/snapback]