Earthquake

DhadiMania

I heard on Panjab Radio this morning that many Sikhs in Pakistan have lost their businesses to the earthquake and have started to come to Gurdwara Sahib Panja Sahib for shelter. They leave behind areas that have no food or water supplies. Waheguru.

thumaree saran thumaaree aasaa thum hee sajan suhaelae ||

I seek Your Sanctuary - You are my only hope. You are my companion, and my best friend.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard on an Indian news channel that a Sikh village of 400 population called 'triboni' on the kashmir border has suffered heavily due to the earthquake. Even the village gurudwara has been destroyed.

125798[/snapback]

Unfortunately, you're right Raju paaji no.gif ........

NDTV Correspondent

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 (Tangdhar ):

Residents of the Tribuni village in Tangdhar, right on the LoC, are yet to receive any help from the authorities following the devastating earthquake on October 8.

It is the only Sikh village in Tangdhar with a population of just 500 people. The destruction is almost complete here with houses flattened and people lying on the road crying for help.

Such difficulties are not new for the residents of the village, which was first in the line of Pakistani shelling before the November 2002 ceasefire.

But hope is still alive. Seventy-year-old Tirath Singh lost his entire family during the 1948 Indo- Pak war but he did not give up and stayed on in the village to become the priest of the local Gurudwara which is also completely damaged.

"We are living here since years, how can I leave my motherland," said Singh.

Clearly the shock is intense and it might take some more time for the villagers to start their lives afresh again.

reminds me of Gujrat's mammoth quake that killed over 100000 ppl... no.gif

125007[/snapback]

AN interesting point no GURUDWARA was even touched by QUAKE

that is no imarat had even any crack even in bhuj (the worst affected area

0 BY THE QUAKE though all neaby building were reduced to dust

AND THESE GURDWARAS KEPT ON SERVING LANGARS TO AFFECTED PEOPLE FOR LONG TIME

SO DONT FEAR FOR HARMANDIR SAHIB

REST PRAY FOR THOSE WHICH FACED THE BRUNT OF QUAKE pray.gif

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA

WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Sikh bodies set up camps

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, October 12

The Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee has set up camps in Muzaffarabad and Badgram in PoK to provide relief to the quake-affected. Two truckloads of relief material, including food, clothes and other necessities, had left Gurdwara Dera Sahib in Lahore for relief camps in PoK, a PSGPC statement said.

It said a base camp was being established in Gurdwara Panja Sahib, Hasanabdal, where the donations from Sikh community and Gurdwara committees from across the globe would be received and sent for further distribution.

The PSGPC president Mastan Singh said America Gurdwara Committee and DSGMC had offered to send donations.

Meanwhile, United Sikhs — a non-profit organisation working amongst the Sikhs across the globe — said it had deployed Ghanala earthquake relief teams in the affected areas of both India and Pakistan.

The organisation, in an email, said a Ghanala earthquake-relief base camp had been set up in Uri, Kupwara district.

Another base camp was being set up in Pakistan at Gurudwara Panja Sahib in Hasan Abdal, about 45 km from Rawalpindi, with the help of Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (PSGPC) and the American Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (AGPC).

Efforts were also being made to set up similar base camps in other affected areas of Pakistan.

The earthquake, which occurred on October 8, 2005, caused unprecedented damage to life and property in northern parts of Pakistan, India and Afghanistan. More than 40,000 are feared dead, thousands remain buried and millions have been made homeless.

Quoting Kuldeep Singh Bali, president of Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, Srinagar, United Sikhs said 13 Sikh families lost their homes and suffered injuries in Uri while another 150 Sikh families suffered damages in the Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir. Victims immediately needed dry ration, langgar, blankets, tents, medical supplies, and financial help.

He further said the walls of the historic Parampila Gurdwara (Pathshahi Chheween) had collapsed and the Legaima Gurduwara had been completely destroyed.

Incidentally, United Sikhs was purchasing emergency supplies such as high-altitude tents and woollen blankets from wholesale markets in Lahore, Delhi, Ludhiana and Amritsar.

Jang Bahadur Singh, a professional chef, was heading the Langgar (free community kitchen) camps for the affected people.

Bad roads were a major obstacle in the delivery of supplies to the remote areas.

United Sikhs had also sought assistance from the Punjab Government.