parkarma

Guest SikhForLife
Along with giving our mun (mind/attention) to our Guru Ji, we also have to surrender our tan (body).

ya.. thats why we do matha teek.. do we really have to do the parkarma too..? when we already agreed to give our mind/body/soul/head when we do matha theek..

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parkarma around someone or something is done out of love and respect. This is a very old Indian tradition dating back to the Vedic age. I was reading Bhai Gurdas Dhia Vaara today and I came across a very interesting pouri related to this topic. It is about when Sudhama visited Sri Krishna after a very long time. The pouri goes like this:

bip sudhama dhaladhee baal sakhaee mithr sadhaee’eh

Sudhama a poor Brahman, was known to be a friend of Krishna since childhood.

lagoo hoee bamanee mil jagadhish dhalidher gavaeh

His Brahmanee (Wife) would beleaguer him, that he meet Jagdish(Sri Krishna), as he will surely take away his poverty.

chalia ganadhah gatteeaa(n) keo(n) kar jaaeeeae kaan milaaeae

(His heart did not want to go there to ask, but) after brooding over this matter he went anyway, thinking how he can get re-acquainted with Sri Krishna, who could help him meet Kaan (Sri Krishna).

pahutha nagar dhuarakaa singh dhuar khalothaa jaaeeh

He went to Dwaraka Nagri, and stood in front of the Singh-Duar (Royal Court of Sri Krishna)

dhooroh dhekh dandaouth kar chadd singhasan har jee aayaeh

Seeing (Sudhama) from a distance, Sri Krishna left his Singhasan(Royal Throne) and did Dandaouth (in veneration to his childhood friend and Guru Bhai Sudhama).

pehlay dhay pardhakhanaa pairee paikay lay gal laayae

First Sri Krishna did Pardhakhana(Parkarma) around Sudhama, touched his feet in reverence, and then embraced him.

charanodhak lai pair dhhoeh singhasan uthay baitaeay

Seating Sudhama on his Singhasan(Royal Throne), Sri Krishna washed his feet, then drinking the CharanAmrit.<

br>

pucheh kusal piyaar kar gur sevaa dhee kathhaa sunaaeay

With great love, he (Sri Krishna) asked about Sudhama’s welfare, and talked of their childhood when they lived in service of there Guru.

laikay thandhul chabioun vidhaa karay aggeh pahuchaaeay

Then Sri Krishna asked of the rice Brahmanee(Sudhama’s wife) has made for Sri Krishna and ate it, then he came out to see off Sudhama.

chaar padharath sakuch pathaaeay

Sri Krishna gave all the Chaar Padharath (four great worldly boons) with shyness, as though he has given Sudhama nothing showing his humbleness.

What I liked about this Sakhi was the way Sri Krishna showed great respect and love to his Guru Bhai, as they both had the same Guru (Rishi Sandipani Muni). Basically Bhai Gurdas Jee is writing this as a metafor as to how Sikhs who share the same Guru should show love and respect to each other, as Sri Krishna did to Sudhama. It’s interesting that Bhai Sahib writes Sri Krishan showed so much respect to Sudhama that he left his Singhasan (Royal Throne) as soon as he saw Sudhama from a distance. Then he did Dandaouth, which is a Matthaa Tek lying your entire body down in reverence and respect. Then he did Parkarma around Sudhama, in the end he touched Sudhama’s feet by bowing down (Matha Tek), and finally embracing Sudhama. I was taken aback when reading how much respect he gave to his Guru Bhai. I guess even in those days they had the concept of Parkarma and Dandaouth.

I’m not saying that we should be doing Doundhout and Parkarma around fellow Gursikhs, but the seva we do for fellow Gursikhs should be with no less then how Sri Krishna did to his Guru Bhai Sudhama. Seva of Gursikhs should be done with great love and affection. That is why I requiest the Sikhs here to forget petty differences and respect each other. Stop the bickering and complaining. We all should try our best to find Gursikhs, and do their seva as much as we can. We are all Guru Bhais after all…

Translations are b

ased on Bhai Vir Singh Jee's (not me!) translations of Bhai Gurdas Dhia Varaa.