Respecting Guru Jee... Toon?

Nama Singh

VJKK VJKF

Here is a tukk from Gurbani

rsnw jpqI qUhI qUhI ]

rasanaa japathee thoohee thoohee ||

My tongue chants Your Name, Your Name

I have been wondering for a while, why, in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, Maharaj is referred to as "toon"? Like if i was talking to my mother, i say "tussee theeka?" rather than "toon theeka?" coz its deemed as disrespectful if i use "toon". So i wonder if anyone knows IF there is a proper answer to this question?

I had the theory that maybe it was because our Gurus and Bhagats etc who contributed to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee had a "personal" relationship with Maharaj and so they were kind of on-par with them? Or something to do with the different languages?

Punjabi language has since changed a lot so i think the word Tuhi/ Tuh would have been a perfectly normal way of refering to elders and respected people.

Ok if "Tuhi" is disrespectful then why not "Tuhada"

Tuhada naam kee hai? (Respectful)

Tera naam kee hai? (Not so polite)

And you are right , Guru jis and Bhagats did have a personal relationship with God, i mean Bhagats Refered to God as Yaar i think so yup there is that as well.

yup... its true bhagats have seen GOD... they have a personal relationship... there's even a shabad (i dont know the wordings) by bhagat naamdev ji.. who described GOD's look.. i guess its halle yaara halle yaara.. !!

moreover ..if u consider hindi "tu" in some cases is considered respectful... cuz my schooling was in delhi ..so i know more hindi than punjabi no.gif

maharaj considered paramatma as a friend. you say to your friends "tu kidha" not exactly "tusi kidha paji, sab theek? tuhada parvaar kidha, sab theek, acha bohat vadiya" you say "oh kidha, theek thaak ya? aho mei be theek ya! teri pamily kidha? bohat badhiya sagaa ti"

as maharaj considered parmatma as a friend he wrote "tu" instead of "tusi"

how did he consider him as an old mate? did they play football? did they study together?

probably did, probably didnt, but the relationship between maharaj and guru is so unique that god himself descends his word into these very few chosen folk.

for this reason, maharaj wrote in dasam granth "tu mera pita, tu hai mera mata, tu mera bandhan, aur tu mera bhraata"

a close relationship goes with mother and son, father and son (and daughter) but to elders you say "tusi" however, maharaj considered parmatma as one who looked after him, as well as one who was a very good and dear friend.

gustaphi maaf

There could also be the issue regarding confusion of duality. The word tun as opposed to tusi may have been used to emphasise the singular nature of God, as the term tusi could be mistaken as a plural refrence.

In this way, the use of tun ensures it is clear that it is one entity being reffered to in Gurbani, and thus the oneness of God is forwarded.