Alcohol

Ishna

Hello,

I'm after the sangat's opinion and knowledge regarding Sikhi and alcohol.

Obviously becoming intoxicated is not within Sikhi, but is it okay to have, say, a glass of wine with dinner, or to share a drink with your friends (champene at special occasions, etc) with the solid intention of not becoming intoxicated?

I ask because I know that I can have half a glass of wine or mead without becoming intoxicated, and I am aware of the health benefits from red wine.

If it is definately against Sikhi then I am prepared to give my little bottle of mead to my mead loving friend over here. Teehee.

Thanks!

Ishna.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sister Ishna,

The sikh traditions have always advised complete abstinence from alcohol, drugs, and intoxicating substances. That also includes intoxicating habits that hurt our body and put bad thoughts in our mind.

For all initiated Sikhs the consumption of alcohol, drugs, and meat is not allowed and instead in Gurbani the message is given "Oh Dear One (human being), make your mind high on the nectar of the true naam. With intuitive ease, you can be drenched in its (naam's) beautiful colours."

Naam refers to the Name of God, or the essential truth and reality of the Creator and Creation.

I know, we all know, and the Guru knows, that your intention is not to get intoxicated - but that is the purpose with which alcohol was created. It was not created for any other purpose but to provide that "temporary fake high." Furthermore, on the path of devotion to God it is very easy to be distracted by materialistic things, and in order to keep your body clean, your mind clean, it is important to start with your diet, because your diet can influence your atmosphere, mood, and health, which in turn can influence your actions, thoughts, and attitude. :)

All the best in your Sikhi path. I am inspired by your dedication to embracing the Sikh lifestyle :@

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa,

Vaheguru ji ki fatheh!

Sat Sri Akal:

None at all.  The Rehat Maryada does not stipulate intoxication, but rather any intake of intoxicating substances.

146711[/snapback]

I do not drink, but I just had medicine for a chesty cough....it had alcohol....this would mean I am dammed surely. grin.gif

The logical question one must oneself is is the intoxicant doing more harm than good.

My own personal view is that there are some people who can consume a moderate amount of alcohol and get health benefits e.g. one glass of wine. Me personally, I say stay away from booze, because it is a disease destroying our young Sikhs.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

The rule I follow is to never take anything that could be intoxicating unless absolutely required medically. Like cough syrop for example is OK.

But taking alcohol for your entire life (a glass a day) to hope to realize a 10% reduction in chance of heart disease in your life isn't really medically necessary, and frankly you'd get more benifit if you didn't eat that ladoo once a day.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

when my gora mate had a party and got initiated into this thing to protect the city i went with him and i was probs like the first sikh ever ther lol n all the goray were like starting at me and thinkin whats he doing here.

anyway to the point, when we went bk to his house, his family was there and they poured a lil bit of champagne into the glasses and gave it to everyone, n my mate knew i dont touch the stuff n he took my glass to n got me some apple juice lol

then we had this disscussion about alcohol and they said does you religion ban u from alcohol and they said "a lil bit wont get u drunk," "thats wat we are doing just having a lil bit."

but i was like even if Sikhi says dnt drink it i personally chose not to before i was into sikhi, id rather not even hav a bit, becos thats where it starts, if u hav a bit then u cud have a bit more or someone wud say to you its only the once and eventually even ifs its after a year of this one day you wud give in, its like playing with fire, and then wher do u draw the line of whether u drink or not.

take meat for instance (just to get a point over), if someone ate it only at very special occasions then cud u say you dont eat meat?

or drugs?

anyway by the time i left ma mates whole family was drunk and i left.

Thanks for your responses.

It looks like this is a topic that is easily agreed upon by most Sikhs.

Personally, I find that alcohol does have more disadvantages than advantages, and intoxication of any kind is dishonourable and usually leads to embarrisment. And at the end of the day you're intoxicated because you're poisoned, and where is the all-important logic in willingly poisoning your body for "fun"? *grows pointy Vulcan ears* joke!!!

Now for the awkward task of telling my friend who just last night brought a very nice bottle of white to my house (of which I admit I did have half a glass) to share over a game of Lord of the Rings Risk with my housemates and I. Even after hinting at her that "I shouldn't be drinking this" she has still told me that if I want some more she can get it from her workmate cheaply (and it's very high quality), and then invited me to a winery with her next weekend. Then she offered to leave the unconsumed half bottle at my house for me, to which I politely insisted she keep. I showed no interest in these offers, but she's very pushy with these sorts of things.

*takes a deep breath*

But I've got to take that step, and approach this matter with my friend. Luckily she is the only friend of mine who sees me regularly and brings alcohol (we've never been drunk together, mind you). I've a history of declining drinks in the past so most of my family don't bother! It took them 19 years to get me to take my first sip!

Anyway, enough rambling, I'm going to do some research on this and create a nice little informative e-mail about my decision.

Thanks again,

Ishna.

PS. Simmal Tree: :)

ParwinderSingh,

I posted my reply right after you posted yours!

It is interesting just how quickly a whole house can get drunk! And often it leads to fighting, and things get broken, and people get sick everywhere. Iiew.

But I'm with you on the snowball effect thing. Personally I've been drunk I think five times in my life, and three of them were most dishonourable... the first time I exposed myself, which is very embarrising in hindsight, and I can only remember it very faintly... the second time I ended up cursing someone (for a good reason, but still the wrong way to handle the situation), which I then tried very hard to reverse--these things were part of my previous religion... and the last time was in August, where I was crawling around on the floor because I wasn't sure I could walk without falling over, and then my housemate tried to take advantage of me....

And the most distressing part of it is that after that first incident I told myself I'd never get drunk again. Six months later, and the past event doesn't seem too bad that far back in hindsight, so why not try again? Same thing happens, and again I tell myself, "I'm not going to get drunk again!" Aaaand guess what happens six months later?

Alcohol is not good. I don't know why I asked this question here in the first place now, I already knew the answer!

• 1 month later...