Sikhisim Class.

hey guys, i'm taking this sikhisim class, and well its tought in a scholarly fashion, and not in terms of th ehistory we know.

its tought more analytically.

ne ways

one thing that is wierd is my prof keeps reffering to guru gobind singh ji as guru gobind das...

i thought thtye hwere guru gobind rai?

and he goes onto to say that

Bhai Gurdas ji in his vaars says that guru hargobind ji maharaaj feels burden of sangat? as in bha gurdas ji is critizising guru ji.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend, there's plenty more to come in your "Sikhism class"...just you wait.

The prof will have you questioning EVERYTHING you believed to be true.

In the end, these scholars can read boat loads of books on sikhi, in the end they are still zero if they haven't DONE the most essential thing...Naam Japna. If you tell this to your prf, he'll probabaly giggle.

Anyway, take the class so you can see what nonsense they spew, don't believe a word they say if it's attacking The PERFECT SATGURU!!!

-About Bhai Gurdass ji's vaars....no Bhai sahib is not criticizing Guruji. Bhai sahib ji, in his own poetic way, describes the differences in the Style of Guru Hargobind sahib ji and previous Guru sahibaan. How the changes have surprised many Sikhs. Before it was all Bhagati and Peace, but now talk of Shakti and Shasters, Hunting, is going on. BHai sahib states that "Guru Arjan has changed his body and taken the form of Guru Hargobind"...

-Guru Gobind Singh ji often uses "das" as a sign of humility in Bani..."Gobind das tuhaar". Maybe your prof thinks Guruji is usng "das" as an actual name.

haha .. like jai tegang said .. this is only the begining and there is plenty more to come ..

at our university (waterloo) .. we have one of the few sikhism courses taught all around canada, and i believe its to be the first. But the prof is all controversial and like veerji said she questions everything we believe to be true in sikhism but yet she still says she loves sikhism. (wouldnt everyone if they dont wana start beef wit us ?)

Her name is Dr. Doris Jakobsh .. she recently wrote a book published i think by penguin books, shes very scholarly educated a lot of ph.d's, and she learns everyone from the all well known controversial sikh scholar hew mccleod. Her main thesis has always been on women and their role in sikhism and other religions. Her new book is all about women, and if your in toronto area its available at sacha sauda and its probably available almost everywhere, i even seen it in india i think. The book itself is like another version of mccleod you can say since he has been her teacher, and its all questioning on about key events in the sikhi past targetting this time at women.

A word of advice is try not to get all high tempered while listening to your prof. I know i have but the best way to go is hit them back with what they are hitting us and that is the power of your voice. Show them, do your research, and prove them wrong in what they tell you and show them that no, look, heres proof against the point you made.

Doris Jakobsh's book on women's place in Sikhi is harsh...she goes beyond even Mcleod...mind you I think Mcleod tries to remain respectful most of the time...but this lady just goes berserk....

i started reading it, but had to put it down...it felt like i was listening to someone doing nindyia of my Guru...i mean i've read Mcleod and Oberoi's books aswell...but this lady is very harsh with words...

one of her accusations (from a huge list of accusations) was that Guruji only banned female infanticide and sati becasue the Guru's own extended family practiced it ...she said Guruji felt embarrassed about this problem in their own family and called for it to be stopped...

she also tried to rip apart the Mai Bhago sakhi...

so if you have her as your teacher,please don't start believing what she says.find intelligent ways to counter her points,that's the way it works in academia.

Ya i read all that in her book plus the many death threats she has told me about ever since she wrote the book .. like what did you except !?

Trust me bro i had like debates wit her in every one of our classes, she would not just except the simple true facts of our history. If only there was someone else that i can work with to write a book/paper that would counter all the things that she has written or in fact any other scholar that downgrades our sikhi!

Sat Sri Akal:

"If only there was someone else that i can work with to write a book/paper that would counter all the things that she has written or in fact any other scholar that downgrades our sikhi!"

Well, you have the Sangat here...start posting eh? If anything, give out the general points that are irritating and I am sure that the Sangat here can assist in countering them.