Sikhisim Class.

Challenge these proffessors to bck up their so called claims with hard evidence.

Refer to the GurBani (seeing as it is the "Divine Light that dispells the darkness") to challenge their silly lil claims.

BTW do these so called professors have any knowlege of gurbani seeing as its the Guru.

theyre critisizing sikhi, gurbani is essentialy sikhi itself.

it would be quite stupid to critisize something that you have no 'First hand' knowledge of.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya i read all that in her book plus the many death threats she has told me about ever since she wrote the book .. like what did you except !?

Trust me bro i had like debates wit her in every one of our classes, she would not just except the simple true facts of our history. If only there was someone else that i can work with to write a book/paper that would counter all the things that she has written or in fact any other scholar that downgrades our sikhi!

149939[/snapback]

I'd love to work on something like that, with Maharaj ji's kirpa.

I think the best way to go about it is pick one of her accusations and debunk it to the max, then move on to another point.

Even debuking 2-3 of her accusations, it will severely undermine her credibility.

Jaspaul Singh, I was wondering if you could post more of your expereinces with her as your prof. How other students (Sikh and non-sikh) reacted to her. What her style of teaching is. Does she sound like she has a chip on her shoulder, or is it just a case of intellectual ego?

If we can make a strong points, perhaps her department heads will pressure her to change some of her stances.

To tell you the truth and looking back at my own posts i didnt say one good thing about her. Truly speaking, she is like one of my best profs i had at university. Ya she says all this stuff but shes just telling me there is no written proof of everything she counters and thats the only reason she asked those questions and raises points. And also to mention that her whole Phd is on this specifically on women. Shes really entertaining, likes to get the whole class involved, great with group discussions, has a very decent approach to teach the class. One thing i really hated was the textbook she uses was of hew mccleod and i ask her why not another book and eventhough the answer was that this is my mentors book, she would say there is no other scholarly enriched text for sikhism that would be good to use for a university stage class. She uses many arrticles of mccleod, khushwant, oberoi and others that she sees as 'scholarly' classed and not the ones that are just planting history and stating facts but more of those that are actually debating and critisizing events/key figures in sikhi history.

Last year (first year of her new book) couple of people wanted to get her fired and well she wasnt concerned since these profs are on contracts and shes a phd there was no way they can get her out but ya she was just fustrated because she would get calls, threats and hate mail etx..

To tell you the truth and looking back at my own posts i didnt say one good thing about her. Truly speaking, she is like one of my best profs i had at university. Ya she says all this stuff but shes just telling me there is no written proof of everything she counters and thats the only reason she asked those questions and raises points. And also to mention that her whole Phd is on this specifically on women. Shes really entertaining, likes to get the whole class involved, great with group discussions, has a very decent approach to teach the class. One thing i really hated was the textbook she uses was of hew mccleod and i ask her why not another book and eventhough the answer was that this is my mentors book, she would say there is no other scholarly enriched text for sikhism that would be good to use for a university stage class. She uses many arrticles of mccleod, khushwant, oberoi and others that she sees as 'scholarly' classed and not the ones that are just planting history and stating facts but more of those that are actually debating and critisizing events/key figures in sikhi history. 

Last year (first year of her new book) couple of people wanted to get her fired and well she wasnt concerned since these profs are on contracts and shes a phd there was no way they can get her out but ya she was just fustrated because she would get calls, threats and hate mail etx..

150054[/snapback]

Agreed wit Jaspaul Singh Veerji, she wuz my prof for two courses(my first yr and second yr at waterloo), we;ve had our fair share of debates and arguements, but they were professional and mature

I don't blame her for raising points and questions, thats how ppl learn, i don't think we shud b so quick to judge her and go to the extent of sending her hate mail and even death threats, i dun think she deserved that

and mehtab singh veerji LOL.gif

Okay, given that people learn by asking questions...but she's teaching it!

She should be aware of the impact her "points and questions" can have on new non-sikh students....that's my main concern.

For example most non-christians are very fimiliar with basic christian beliefs even if they haven't read a single book on it. Controversial points about christianity aren't going to create "mistaken views" in non-christians.

But most of the world doesn't know two things about Sikhism. And if their most reliable source happens to make sensational points, then their view of Sikhism is going to just that.

Thanks for those interesting links. Very nice articles indeed and good arguments against her.

I do agree that Harjot Oberoi and Mc Leod have done a lot of "beRa Gark" for the Sikhs. It is extremely sad that their work is the most well-known in the western world. I do think that we should all make sure we write letters to our local libraries that these authors are anti-Sikh authors and thier books should thus be rmeoved (preferably replaced by Sikhi Socities or associations such as COSS; Jakara etc)

Something interesting I saw -

P. S. Please be advised that in a recent decision by the Supreme Court of India, it has declared the Holy Book of the Sikhs as a Juristic person. Anybody making derogatory statements about the Holy Scripture can be sued. Commonwealth laws can be reciprocal. (See attached.)

Although it it extremely good that anyone making derogator statements about Guru Granth Sahib Ji should be sued without doubt - but is decleaing Guru Sahib a "juristic person" the right way?

This is BOUND to be mis-interpreted by non-Sikhs.

Bhull chukk maaf