Kirtan, a proper way of playing

DeSingh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

After reading the discussion about Namdharis doing Kirtan in Gurdwaras a question have come to my mind. I would like to know if is correct to do Kirtan in a Gurdwara if this is not in the right raag.

I understand raag as a musical note/way of playing. Am I right? If not, can someone explain this?

I'm sorry if this seem to be silly questions but I will apreciate your answers.

Sat Siri Akal!

Since the times of guru nanak dev jee bani has been sung in simple tunes. think about the illiterate peasants in punjab during those times. Most of them had no concept of raags but still had love for guru sahib and his bani. They sang bani in simple tunes while working in fields etc..

one such tune which has been around for hundreds of years that a lot of people seem to know is "uchadar babae nanak da" (This tune is used a lot by akj, taksal, dodhra, sants)

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I would like to explain why I asked this question. I live in Mexico, in this city, Xalapa, there no are Gurdwaras or Sangat.

We have a Gurdwara once a month in a house of a Sikh family in a city near from here. None of us know how to play kirtan. So we used to put some kirtan cds for the Gurdwara. But I dont want to do that anymore. So I want to play a keyboard (cause don't have a vaja) and Im practicing at nights. However, the Shabads that Im practicing are mostly played in a western style (guitar, piano). Since Im not a musician and only have a very limited knowledge of music, I find very difficult to copy the sounds of the vaja when is played in a tradicional way.

That's why I asked this, because I dont want to play like this if this is incorrect.

Sorry about my bad english.

Desingh: i think the idea is excellent. the step should definitely be made to do "live" keertan :):( i personally applaud your efforts... as well, i personally dn't see any problem with using a keyboard or singing simple tunes... MKhalsa is right... as far as the singing of raags goes, i think that he's got it straight up. raag should be stressed, but it's not a one way ticket to hell if you don't. after all, singing baani is primary, method is secondary... hehe jus that raag method is 2(a) and simple method is 2(B) hehehe....

my opinion only

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I hope that i may one day join in with you to do keertan.

I've rescently been listening to some westernised shabads and i have to say that there is a lot of pyaar in the way the shabads are sung. The keertan can be listend to on www.sikhnet.com or you could purchase the cds on www.spiritvoyage.com

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Waheguru jee ka khalsa

Waheguru jee ke fateh..

Awesome effort De Singh jee.. Here's my thought.. It doesn't matter whether kirtan is done by western musical instruments or by traditional sikh instruments (vaja etc.) All matter is to recite gurbani with your mind open.. It's the love from ur heart which will connect to waheguru thru his praises (keertan/gurbani). Practice is main key :) and u will get it .. And who knows.. one day u mite be on Keertan tour all around world :e:

Gurfateh !

Since the times of guru nanak dev jee bani has been sung in simple tunes. think about the illiterate peasants in punjab during those times. Most of them had no concept of raags but still had love for guru sahib and his bani. They sang bani in simple tunes while working in fields etc..

one such tune which has been around for hundreds of years that a lot of people seem to know is "uchadar babae nanak da" (This tune is used a lot by akj, taksal, dodhra, sants)

Gur Fateh!

MKhalsa, please could you provide the reference for this statement "Since the times of guru nanak dev jee bani has been sung in simple tunes".

Anyone who knows about the Rabaab, knows how intricate it is to play...anyway, without getting into technicalities...why does everyone think that Raag has to be complex...listen to some of the ligther folk styles payed by Prof. Surinder Singh, Bhai Balbir Singh, Baljeet and Gurmeet Singh Naamdhari et al...

...you'll see that they still use the correct raag, (as per the Hukam of the Guru) and not some 1950's hindi film tune as is the case very often with the many sikhs and jathas today...not a criticism, only an observation...although I personally always prefer kirtan in Raag, not necessary heavy classical...but in raag, it has a certain magic about it, which lacks elsewhere...

Forgive any foolish comments in the f

oregoing,

-I remain the Charandhoor of the Sadh Sangat-