Reciting Gurbani

Dear brothers & sisters,

Fateh araj karo ji - Waheguru Ji ka khalsa, Siri Waheguru ji ki fateh.

I would like your opinions on the value of reciting gurbani without understanding the meaning.

Do literal translations do gurbani justice?

How can the 'true' meaning of Gurbani be understood?

Thank you for your time.

Satinder Singh

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I feel that understanding is key, without it, gurbani is just words. If we are trying to transform our soul, our soul needs to hear the truth from Gurbani.

As for literal translations, I believe that those would be BETTER than the translations that we have now. For example, I read a lot in english, and I would like to see direct literal word-by-word translations of Gurbani, so that I can read it like it was meant to be read, leaving open some room for self-interpretation and understanding. The english translations that are available now are quite bad, as they are really "explinations" not really translations, with random words "expanded" as the translator sees fit, irrespective of the fact that those lines of Gurbani make no reference to it.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

When a doctor gives us medicine, do we bother what ingredients it contains? All we know is that its for our betterment and we take them. The same is for Gurbani. Its best if you know the meanings, but to start with, even if you don't, its alright. Learn the meanings slowly but keep doing Bani. Don't worry about the meaning, they will come as well.

I heard that from Bhai Pinderpal Singh Ji's katha.

Considering recent scientific research showing that even WATER has a result on it's crystalls when words like 'love' are used, and when 'swearing' is used (Some Japanese researcher had a Zen buddhist say stuff, and some other stuff9 which showed how the crystalls changed according to the vibrations sent by the person. Considering we have quite a lot of water, what woudl the effect of Gurbani be on us?

Although unconsciously it will definetly have an effect on us and our mind, but application of Gurbani is also EXTREMELY VITAL.

i read sumthing on mrsikhnet blog, it was sumone asked one of our Pyaare Guroo Sahib Ji's (forgive daas for forgeting which) is it still good to do paat when u dont understand it, Guroo Ji said that as grease sticks to the pot, so does gurbani stick to the heart, or sumthing similar (sorry for not exact)

Sat Sri Akal:

One cannot expect to understand and become fully versed in Gurbani on the first read. It takes Almighty knows how many times before something is understood. The effort is still required to read. Bhai Raghbir Singh Ji in his book, Bandaginama, states that when he did paath, he would come to certain verses he was unable to understand. However, as he kept doing paath, the means to understand those verses was also presented to him.

Guru Sahib does not abandon a Sikh who makes an effort.