Why Isnt That Against Sikhi?

Guest guest

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUPT_

as there are different point of views coming from people, i thought ill add mine in aswell hehe.

i do understand as Simu Kaur bhenji said that God didnt make us born with clothes on... but at the same time im confused aswell because we werent born with education...does that mean God wanted us not to be educated? :@

umm i think clothes are worn to cover ourself up as far as my thinking goes... but wearing clothes to cover yourself up, and to look good are two different things in my view. as there are two completly different intensions behind them,

...but as some people say that if teeth are causing problems with your every day life such as eating etc...then they might think it'll be right to have braces.

lol you no what there are soooo much stuff that you could say like..yh but this n that n this n that! it will just carry on...i think people just do what you think is right in your view AND in sikhi term aswell :TH:

well hope i didnt offend or hurt anyone with my comment..if i have then im sorrryyyy :wub:

fateh jee

Guest Guest

haha interesting stuff, thought i d share my opinion as well...

if they unnaturally grew crooked, or you have having tough time eating, then braces would be ok hunna?

Now isnt it obvious its mainly for cosmetic reasons? Trust me, you can straighten yours but the trend of crooked teeth genes from your parents will still pass down to your kids. Its just like having a unibrow.. INIT? Its Nature, its the way God made you.

BACK in the days... did you see Shaheed Singhs smiling with their Braces?? if you know wat i mean...

just mee 2 cents

I'll give you the simple answer.

Guruji told us to not cut any hair on our body, so that's the end of that argument. It's got nothing to do with looking/not-looking attractive.

Some rehitnamas mention that jewelry and makeup is not appropriate, so that is why we don't do that. But I must comment here, the “makeup” back in the day, when the rehitnama was written by some gursikh, meant something very visible (surma in the eyes is very visible, and so are the colors used to paint the lips). Makeup now a days can be very minmal, In fact not change the color of the lips or skin at all. So that just might be something to think about.

The rule of thumb is if the clothing/ makeup arouses certain “emotions” and “feelings” then it’s best not to wear it.

Guruji never told us to not look attractive, that’s not true at all. Just don’t be attractive in the sexual way that our current society expects.

I don’t think wanting straight teeth is any sexualy driven cosmetic practice.

I'll give you the simple answer.

Guruji told us to not cut any hair on our body, so that's the end of that argument. It's got nothing to do with looking/not-looking attractive.

Some rehitnamas mention that jewelry and makeup is not appropriate, so that is why we don't do that. But I must comment here, the “makeup” back in the day, when the rehitnama was written by some gursikh, meant something very visible (surma in the eyes is very visible, and so are the colors used to paint the lips). Makeup now a days can be very minmal, In fact not change the color of the lips or skin at all. So that just might be something to think about.

The rule of thumb is if the clothing/ makeup arouses certain “emotions” and “feelings” then it’s best not to wear it.

Guruji never told us to not look attractive, that’s not true at all. Just don’t be attractive in the sexual way that our current society expects.

I don’t think wanting straight teeth is any sexualy driven cosmetic practice.

157387[/snapback]

But obviously there is a reason why he said that right? Like for example. If I let you borrow a few sweaters and said to you not to get the green one dirty, would it be alright for you to go and damage all the other ones? NO! You're only looking at what he said at face value.

:T: WJKK WJKF :T:

See the way i think about it is that Say that your getin to an accedent (i really hope u don't but...) and u break one of ur bone won't u try to get ur bone fixed well that exactly how its with ur teeth. I think there is nowhere in SGGS Ji that u can't get ur any of ur body parts fixed. BUT the people that have plastic serjury done who r for the sake of apperace r changing their body parts is wrong but for medical reason i think it is ok to wear braces if ur trying to fix thr shape of your teeth

P.S. I dont wear braces lol LOL.gif

bhul chuk maf

sorry if i ofended anyone this is only my opinion

:T: WJKK WJKF :T:

Yeah I think that the reason why you get braces is the key.

If the crooked teeth are making it difficult to brush or eat then yes...braces are justified as they will improve your dental health.

More commonly people want braces to appear more attractive (research shows that unattractive teeth have a negative effect on potential partners, employers etc) and to improve their self-esteem. If this is the reason for braces then I don't think they are allowed in Sikhi.

By the way I want to point out that crooked teeth are quite normal. They are not a disease that needs to be 'fixed'.

• 9 years later...
Guest Talaina

There really is no reason for braces, other than to make your teeth look nice. And I don't get how you can justify it by saying things like "braces are to heal or correct teeth that have come in the wrong way" How are they being healed? And why would one consider it to be a 'wrong way'. Its just the way it is...I just think that society is pretty twisted. Putting metal into your mouth to move your teeth so they look straight. Think about it, its sounds almost as twisted as those people who grow cats in boxes. But cats in boxes isnt accepted in society ....yet.

I totally agree with the last post. Very few people require braces to improve their dental health. Generally braces are for cosmetic reasons. Why do people want straight teeth? Because straight teeth are thought to be attractive.

Agreed. I was forced to wear braces for 12 years along with three surgeries to change the alignment of my teeth. My mother, who was abusive in many ways, kept saying it was "important for my health" but when pressed she eventually admitted it was primarily cosmetic because I was ugly with my natural teeth. I still have nightmares about the horrible things I went through during those years. No loving god would want that for anyone. If you are in pain or unable to eat properly without having some straightening of the teeth done, bless you, do what you must...but no more than that. You were born perfectly beautiful, otherwise you'd have been born differently to begin.

I remember to a sant ji of a different religion giving a discourse about not to use makeup and lipstick in particular. The main reason for that was that lipstick is manufactured using the dead parts of some animals. So was makeup. so he recommended that you can use besan instead to clear up your face.

Praying to God with dead animals parts smeared upon your face was likely to cause prayers not get heard.