Why Isnt Sikhism A Missionary Faith?

Dear Sangat ji,

Why do Sikhs restrict themselves from doing missionary work.... wasnt what Sri Guru Nanak Ji doing can be classed as a form of missionary work? By spreading the message of the divine. Travelling from place to place enlightening people to the light and truth where there was darkness and dispair?

Shouldnt we as Sikhs do our bit and enter debate and reason with non-sikhs why Sikhism can offer them a path to God?

Apologises for any mistakes.

sikhi is a missionary faith...

sikhs were sent all over india by guru sahib to set up manjis to preach the Truth...

it's a different type of missionary faith...where noone is being told to convert to sikhi..but the principles and fundamentals of sikhi should be told to the world...and if people want to adopt them into their lives they can without converting...and if they feel to adopt sikhi fully then that option is also open...

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Yeah, I agree with JSS. We just don't force others to convert, but we are supposed to "spread the word."

But we don't do it with the rigor that our Gurus did (some, like Harbajan Singh Yogi did).

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

156973[/snapback]

And a lack of resources and knowledge - there are millions of potential sikh out in the world that can be awakened, why we havn't tapped into the masses is slightly strange.

For converts who enter sikhu on their oen, trying to go into a punjabi dominated sangat, it can get a bit overwheling and lonely. With no one else to relate too, why would anyone want to join?

It's a catch 22 for converts, we have to double jobs - trying to fit in and trying to learn in often different ways.

sikhi is a missionary faith...

sikhs were sent all over india by guru sahib to set up manjis to preach the Truth...

it's a different type of missionary faith...where noone is being told to convert to sikhi..but the principles and fundamentals of sikhi should be told to the world...and if people want to adopt them into their lives they can without converting...and if they feel to adopt sikhi fully then that option is also open...

156968[/snapback]

fully agree bro.

In India it is a case of too many fat blokes wanting to eat pudding. The SGPC big wigs sit in the office eating varities of barfi that most people have never seen.

The SGPC have the money but have never bothered speniding it wisely. The number of Sikhs in India could have been doubled if they had bothered to help our Sikilgar/Vanjara brothers.

If you ever get a chance have a look at how your local SGPC Dharam Parchar member works (if you can find him and he is usually out cruising in his Dharam Parchar car) . They will not give religious sermons to educate people, instead they give political speaches to get people to vote for Badal backed candidates in SGPC elections. They get cars and a fuel allowance to do parchar but the car and fuel is used for family social trips. No one audits the work they do.

We get others who like to tell people they have encouraged XYZ thousand people to take amrit but you never see these people, every time you go to Punjab you see more and more youngsters with their kesh cut. You can gauge how many people they encourage by the fact that the Sant Samaj backed candidates for varous elections usually lose their deposits.

Simply put we have very few people capable of doing real missionary work.

This is underpinning a wider problem with Sikhism at the moment, espicially in the western world. Many say Sikhism has no problem, but it HAS MANY problems.

It is so difficult to get the youth nowadays (me included) to get up and fight for something they belive in, aka SIKHI.

With alll the corruption going around (we all know it happens, we just chose to ignore it), I don't understand why we don't speak out/shout and make some noise and actually do something about it.

We need some pro-active youth forums, not just Sikhi camps and socities. We need something more proactive that will give us a voice and make the older generation hear what we have to say.

How we go about that, I don't know.

I raised this point months ago, but we need to be open and transparent with the Sangats donations within our Gudware firstly and foremost. This is often the cause of much corruption and mistrust. We next need to dissolve all committe run Gudware and have a Sangat lead and organised centre for worship.

It sometimes seems to me that we are edging closer to a 'civil-war' to some extent, within Sikhi, but we just need a little push to get it there.

I use the word civil-war very generally, but I don't see any effect of the current youth in the Gudware i've been do.

Things will change, and when our elders retire from services in committess, what then? There isnt enough youth to are keen or interested in Sikhi nowadays to continue their seva....so what then?

Some will say Sikhi is strong and will survive, of which I have no doubt. But how it will compare to the current incarnation of Sikhi is anyones guess.

Do not worry.... history has tested Sikhi many times.... and we are still...when things get real bad Sikhi flourishes because people know what they have lost out on.

And things will have to get worse before it gets better.... all in the hands of waheguru ji whatever his haukum is so shall it be.

Fateh!