Sarab Loh

Niranjana

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i was bitten by some insect in the jungle durin trekkin .. i just used my sarbloh kara and rub on the bite and tadaaaaa it was okay after few hours... the itchiness was gone :)

GUR FATEH!

Bibi Jkaur Sahiba Ji, nice story, but was this because of the Sarabloh or the few hours since the bite? Sorry, just asking...it'll be nice to understand the relationship between the two a little more that;s all...

On the topic of Sarabloh, what are the thoughts of the Sangat on the Sarabloh Avtar?

-forever at the feet of the Sadh Sangat-

Sat Sri Akal:

Sikhism places its faith in the Almighty and the Guru Granth Sahib.  Sarbloh, and for that matter, any Avtars are not given any importance.  And why should they be?  :)

Sat Sri Akal!

Thank you for reminding me of our faith in Vaheguru and the Sri Guru, however I am not seeking to undermine this or move outside of this. The question of Sarabloh Avtar arises simply because it is widely mentioned in the Sarabloh Granth...I am not looking to give any importance to this or any other avtar in the manner you seem to be alluding to...

...whatever the status of the Sarabloh Granth maybe, the fact is that it forms part of our heritage, just like the Dasam Granth and all other historical writings...(pracheen panth prakash, suraj prakash...etc)...the fact that the contents of some of these may for some be anti-gurmat, does not change them as part of our heritage...

...so, it is in light of addressing our scriptural heritage that I mentioned Sarabloh Avtar... I could ask about Chandi Di // in the same manner, the reason for Sarabloh Avtar is 2 fold, firstly since this is a Sarabloh thread and secondly I have never heard of such an Avtar before (i.e. unlike the Chandi Pa

ath or other references in both the Sri Guru and the Dasam granth to the various avtars) this one in particular appears to be unique to this scripture -or am I mistaken? Please could someone shed some light on this?

-forgive my foolishness and lack of understanding-

Sat Sri Akal:

You requested thoughts...I gave them... :nihungsmile: Forgive their abrasiveness...

The thing is that Sarbloh Granth is not quite easily obtainable, so to get views on it are tough.

The thing in this Granth that attracts the most attention is the praise of Khalsa by Guru Gobind Singh. This is also the Granth in which the 41 Vaar of one Gurdas Singh is found (or so I believe). Besides this, the contents of it remain a mystery to most Sikhs (again...only recently available to get from Bhai Chattar Singh/Jeevan Singh I think...).

Otherwise, you are correct. This Granth seems to contain the tales of this Sarbloh Avtar. Besides this, little information is out there about it...

Sorry to not be of more help...

Bhai Sahib ms514 Ji,

Thanks for your response, I agree you you that "Sarbloh Granth is not quite easily obtainable" and I myself have only seen very limited amounts of it, it's just that we happen to have quite a few Sarabolhi proponents on this forum which is great and it is in this light that I asked the forum for their advice on this matter...as I myself don't know much about it...

...apologies again if I have offended anyone...

Gur Fateh!

As no one has touched on the Chandi/Kali aspects of Sarabloh, I’ll offer my two pennies worth and apologise in advance should this upset anyone’s sentiments –these notions do not coincide directly with my personal views, I present them here as information that I have come across from my readings, discussions and conversations of varied sources....

I welcome all feedback and stress from the outset that these are simply notions that I have come across, supported by some scholars and texts (both positively and negatively) and in no way are presented here to cause offence or reflecitve of my personal opinion on this matter.

GUR BAR AKAAAAAL!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tradition of respecting Sarbaloh does appear to be a legacy from Shakat/Tantric aspects that can be found increasingly since the 18th Century amongst the Sikhs, particularly the Nihang Dals.

The devi/goddess/feminine attributes of God (depending upon your personal stance) have been worshiped by various names (Durga, Kali, Chandi, Bhavani, Bhagautee etc) one of which is Sarabloh, referring to a Kharag, Khanda or any weapon without a wooden handle or non-iron components i.e. "all iron". (Take a look at the pictures shasters using the links on this forum, under the pictures section, and one can see an assortment of such weapons in common use by the Nihang Singhs).

Iron ore, Iron metal and weapons made from Iron in the Indian sub-continent have been and are worshipped as manifestations of Chandi/Bhagautee, this trend is in particular popularity with the Rajputs.

<

br>This legacy has continued for Sikhs, albeit under different reasoning, as manifestations of Akal Purakh’s power through the use of terminology in the Dasam Granth (Sarabloh, MahaLoh, the Shaster Naam Mala etc) and in more common occurrence with the weapons adorning Dhumalas, Dastaars and Maharaj’s Darbar, aside from their other uses).

Iron and iron weapons are termed ‘Asi’ with Bhagautee/Kali described as the appellation of the Kharag weilder (Asipan, Kharagkhet). Sarbaloh is hence considered as another name for Kali in classical Shakat scriptures.

Prior to the Singh Sabha reforms, the majority of Sikhs in 18th century, particularly the Nihang dals, as per Bhai Daya Singh's Rehatnama, Bhai Rattan Singh Bhangoo’s Panth Parkash and Santokh Singh’s Suraj Parkash, strongly believed in the invocation of Bhagautee by Guru Gobind Singh during the Naina Devi incident and as such, iron weapons being manifestations of bhagautee, were worthy of worship as Shastar Guru. This is symbolically explained through the use of Chandi, where Chandi (the weapon) rides the Singh (Lion) and accordingly, it is the Weapon and hence Sarabloh, is the wielder of the Singh and not the other way around as well as the invocation of Bhagautee during the Ardas, Chandi Di // (and other Chandi compositions in the Dasam Granth), Sarabloh Avtar etc etc.

Similarly many exclusive aspects of Nihang practice can be seen to have Shakat/Tantric roots and undertones of which some have continued to prevail in subsequent panthic movements who have proximity to ‘Nihangta’, albeit these movements are not necessarily Nihang by lineage or indeed aware of the origins of the Sarablohi bibek and maryada in terms of the wider elements of Chandi Puja.