Office X mas Parties

I know a lot of your are still bachay, but when you start working (especially in an Office environment) you will find that you are being invited to 'Company/Corporate Events'.

With X-mas around the corner, I am likely to be requested by my company to attend some of these parties. These parties have open bars where there is unlimited alcohol. This is an excuse for everyone to get legless.

Previous years I would get drunk with the Goray. However, now I have discovered Sikhi and am aiming to chak Amrit, it's a different matter. I have avoided going to bars for office events for over 10 months. It hasn't been a problem. But with X-mas do's, it seems to be an expectation that everyone must attend. I feel uncomfortable in that environment. I feel that I will be doing Guruji's beadbi by sitting in that environment even though I don't drink or smoke anymore.

So, should a GurSikh in full roop attend these X mas parties?

virji i myself am a working and hanji at times i do come across this situation myself when all my working mates go out to chill in bars and pubs. Well i will usually tell them that im not into all this and i dun like goin to pubs.. well they respect my decission..

it all actually comes down to you.. do u really wanna go in this kinda place.. where all ur gonna inhale is smoke.. and all u gonna see is rubbish???

i know its hard at first but be strong and you will realise that ur workmates will eventually respect you for ur decissions.. so just hang in there :) and waheguru will of course help you out too

IWannaBeAGurSikh Veera if you dont feel comfortable then dont go.

But if your also going to feel uncomfortable staying home then my advise is to go. Dont feel you will be doing Guru Ji's beadbi by sitting in that environment. Remember the Guru in 'antherjami' and therfore knows whats going through you. Aslong as your faith is strong and Waheguru Ji is in youre heart, Waheguru would forgive you.

Also treat it as a test from waheguru. I believe you want to take amrit. If you cant control your mind in the party environment then maybe youre not ready to take amrit yet. And if you find its not to be a problem in remembering waheguru in that environment- then maybe it is time to take amrit.

By going to this party you would find out how strong you are and maybe you can change your screen name from IWannaBeAGurSikh to GurSikh if you pass the test.

Good look veera

Docotr_Mani wink2.gif

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

my advice, paji is dont go. Its really your choice. But guru sahib adivises us against galt sangat ( drunks, druggies, etc). He said we should stay with sadh sangat, people like amritdharis and bhagats and stuff. By going to parties like these, or pretty much any party, our mind does get involed with some of the 5 ks, and our thoughts arent sometimes sikhi related, and are related with bad things, which in turn might make u do somin bad which youll regret later. just go to the gurdwara. I mean whats better, a party or gurughar. Anyways paji, its your choice.

BHULL CHUKK MAFF

:e: :nihungsmile:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!! :)thumbsup.gif

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!! grin.gif

no!!!! because going to an office x-mas party is not going to help you with your naam simran.

If I was u I would stay at home and listen to some kirtan or go to the Gurdwara to meet the true guru who will lead you to salvation.

It's your choice!

Bhul chuk Maaf.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!! grin.gif

IWannaBeAGurSikh Veera if you dont feel comfortable then dont go.

But if your also going to feel uncomfortable staying home then my advise is to go. Dont feel you will be doing Guru Ji's beadbi by sitting in that environment. Remember the Guru in 'antherjami' and therfore knows whats going through you. Aslong as your faith is strong and Waheguru Ji is in youre heart, Waheguru would forgive you.

Also treat it as a test from waheguru. I believe you want to take amrit. If you cant control your mind in the party environment then maybe youre not ready to take amrit yet. And if you find its not to be a problem in remembering waheguru in that environment- then maybe it is time to take amrit.

By going to this party you would find out how strong you are and maybe you can change your screen name from IWannaBeAGurSikh to GurSikh if you pass the test.

Good look veera

Docotr_Mani wink2.gif

Gur Fateh!

I agree with Doctor Mani Sahib, if one does feel uncomfortable, then don't go -I know the challenge that such environments pose working in the corporate sector myself.

There are many levels of such events, some which are blatant no-go for any decent person, let alone

a Sikh (strip joint et al), others hit the middle ground depending on the situation (office parties et al) and some can be reasonable (such like lunch/dinner with the team -unless you're particularly stricy about your bibek, but there are ways to incorporate this too*).

Me personally, will attend lunch and dinner with my team no probs (see below*), as per x-mas parties and such like, I'll make the appearence for the first few hours and leave at a decent time (i.e. so it doesn't interfere with my Nitnem, I don't smell of cigar smoke -as that usually kicks off later or get involved with the Drunken Shenanigans)...

...basically, the 'not-so-great' aspects of these parties tend to kick off later, in my experience they usually begin with a meal or canapes and are quite civilised -a good opportunity to engage meaningful conversation and in most cases, being present as Singh is an added bonus -it's usually at times like that I have folks approach me with the 1001 questions they've been meaning to ask -and in most cases are quite receptive to my objection to cigar smoke et al.

...some may feel that this is worthless, as the same folk will later drink and do everything else anyway, but hey, things don't change overnight, it is precisely in these occasions, that I've personally benefitted from Senior Management advice on matters and also raised awareness of Sikhs be it simple things to more practical things (everyone in my office, whether they know me personally or not, now knows I'm a strict lacto vegetarian and will always take due consideration of this in organising events, similarly they all know about the Dastaar, basic Sikh lifestyle and what not...rumours are part of the office culture -rather than fear them, use it as a means to increase beneficial awareness and curiosity)...

...I know this won't sit well with everyone and I appreciate their views, however, in my experience, being present, if only for the initial couple of hours goes a lo

ng way in demonstrating that you're approachable however have some decorum about where you you keep company and so on...in short, I've had people, who've met in this these scenarios, themselves, take a more conservative approach to such events, quit smoking, give up drinking (or at the very least cut down considerably) to more tangible things like taking up more religious activity, meditating and making serious lifestyle changes...

please forgive my foolishness....

-forever at the feet of the sadh sangat-

*as per eating out, this can be remedied by establishing a rapport with the venues, explaining your requirements and reasons to ensure good order for your needs... can be tricky, but worthwhile...

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

veerjee... daas is working for last 4 years and we have parties every month or so, i understand your situation... but i try to avoid as much as possible... and my manager understand me and so do colleagues... but sometimes there is a situation that we have to go... like there is a launch or any other event where you have to do presentation, and then mebbe have to stay for dinner also or sometimes we have meetings as lunch or dinner meeting :@... i think its ok but try to do simran all the time you are there then nothing can affect you... chaugird hamaare ram kaar dukh lagge na bhai :(

There will be kaar of simran along us so nothing will affect us... but yeah if you go then come back early so that you dun end up doing Amritwela in the party :) coz these parties goes till 3-4 Am in the morning tongue.gif ... but try to come back after having dinner or a while later

[font=GurbaniWebThick

span stylefont-size14ptline-height100]vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!![/font][/font]