Sikh Being Forced To Remove His Hair

this is absolutley shocking................................we cant let this happen.........does anyone know why hes in prison??

Sikhs protest against forced removal of prisoner's hair

By SSNews, timesofindia, Sikh Coalition

Mar 31, 2006, 19:02 Email this article

Printer friendly page

In a massive campaign to safeguard the religious rights of a Sikh prisoner in the US, Sikh organisations worldwide have lodged their protest against the jail authorities' move to cut his hair against his will. The Sikh Coalition, a US-based organisation initiated the move, and a petition has been addressed to Florida Governor Jeb Bush, secretary department of corrections, James McDonough and deputy secretary of corrections, Laura Bedard, to stop federal authorities from forcibly cutting Satnam Singh's hair and removing his turban.

Satnam Singh (pictured) who is currently in a federal jail may have to face having his hair forcibly removed after he is transferred to the Florida State System Jail on April 9.

The Florida Administrative code notes, "Male inmates shall have their hair cut short to medium uniform length at all times." The section further states that "All inmates shall be clean-shaven, provided, however that an exemption from this requirement shall be granted on the basis of a medical diagnosis."

If an inmate refuses to adhere to these grooming standards, even for faith-based reasons, the officer in charge "shall direct staff to shave the inmate or cut the inmate's hair", the rules state.

As an adherent to the Sikh faith, Satnam Singh’s most fundamental religious belief (rahat) is being violated by the Florida Administrative Code. Should he be forced to cut his hair and part with the most important aspect of his religious identity, this would be a large blow to Sikhs all over the world.

The petition and more details can be accessed at:

http://www.sikhcoalition.org/petition_florida.asp

Please ask your local Gurdwara and other organizations (both Sikh and non-Sikh) to co-sponsor this petition. To add an organization as a co-sponsor, we need the following information:

Name of the organization:

Address:

Contact Name:

Phone:

Email Address:

Fax:

Please return the information to:

The Sikh Coalition

P.O. Box 7132

New York, NY 10150-7132

Email: satnamsingh@sikhcoalition.org

Web: www.sikhcoalition.org

Time is of the essence on this matter. It is now critical that we act swiftly and launch this campaign without further delay as Satnam Singh is to be moved to the Florida prison on April 9, 2006

If his religion meant that much to him did he not take this into consideration when he was commiting the crime he is accused of?

159228[/snapback]

You have a valid point if those indeed are the facts. However, much happens in the American justice system that would shock you as to how people end up in prison in a so called progressive country. Nonetheless, I have no specific reason to doubt his verdict, so unless something is raised, lets assume it's true.

It is absolutely critical that we realize the significance of protecting someone's religious rights. Progressive countries don't believe in torturing people who have been found guilty of crimes. It's something that's against universal human values (i'm sorry to say that in America, it's a bit of a live debate).

In some faiths it is a religious duty to try to remove the person’s faith if different from one's own. Contrary to this a Sikh has a religious duty to guard the freedom of all faiths as evidenced in our Guru Granth and the history of our Guru Panth. When Sikhs gave their heads, it was not for a label or a uniform, but the humanitarian values that were represented by those. Hence Guru Teghbahadur Ji’s stance. This is why it is critical for Sikhs to protect the right to Sikhi.

This is not simply about an individual. It is about Sikhi. America should hang its head in shame for not having addressed this conclusively half a century ago.

I thought like the topic starter before but then you have to think that passport fraud may be very much against Sikhism but it does not seriously harm anyone, it is a way of making money and that is what he is doing no matter how much we disagree with the crime.

However, he would not have thought he would end up in prison and that too in Florida.

If someone is a murderer then I may agree with you but he has committed a close to harmless crime and for that he is not deserving of such a punishment as that which awaits him in Florida. Like has been said before, this is equivalent to the death penalty or worse.

I thought like the topic starter before but then you have to think that passport fraud may be very much against Sikhism but it does not seriously harm anyone, it is a way of making money and that is what he is doing no matter how much we disagree with the crime.

159277[/snapback]

A crime is a crime regardless if what we may think! Yes i agree with it not being the most heinous of crimes but, he has to pay for it.

Many sikhs want to draw attention to this case. What about France and the new law introduced not long ago, was such a protest seen then? Not to my recollection.

If his religion meant that much to him did he not take this into consideration when he was commiting the crime he is accused of?

159228[/snapback]

Contrary to this a Sikh has a religious duty to guard the freedom of all faiths as evidenced in our Guru Granth and the history of our Guru Panth. When Sikhs gave their heads, it was not for a label or a uniform, but the humanitarian values that were represented by those. Hence Guru Teghbahadur Ji’s stance. This is why it is critical for Sikhs to protect the right to Sikhi.

159239[/snapback]

True!

I'm not aware of how many sikhs that are imprisoned in the USA. For example say a man is murdered for no apparent reason, and the culprit happens to be a sikh with a beard and dastar, and the same thing happens to him, do sikhs say 'we won't allow it' It makes no sense if he pays no regard to his faith before and whilst commiting the crime, in my book he loses all his rights!!

Just my opinion. But then again i've not been in that postion and i hope i never will!

159277[/snapback]

A crime is a crime regardless if what we may think! Yes i agree with it not being the most heinous of crimes but, he has to pay for it.

Many sikhs want to draw attention to this case. What about France and the new law introduced not long ago, was such a protest seen then? Not to my recollection.

159331[/snapback]

FAteh ji

I understand that if he has commited a crime then he has to face the consequences and so that is a debate , but america supports freedom of religion so it is not being practised here........ i just dont want to see a singh having to have his kesh removed to me that is the highest punishment a sikh can be given, if he had killed/attacked/raped someone then i would reconsider my opinion.

regarding the issue in france........where have you been hibernatiing the last year or so..........lol sikhs all over the world have been protesting, weve been presurising mp's , tony blair and indian government with the help of other organisations to tell the french gov to make a change the law.....

bhl chuk di kima

regarding the issue in france........where have you been hibernatiing the last year or so..........lol sikhs all over the world have been protesting, weve been presurising mp's , tony blair and indian government with the help of other organisations to  tell the french gov to make a change the law.....

bhl chuk di kima

159335[/snapback]

Well as you can see by my handle being a pakandi baba i have very little time for news of what is going on. :T:

Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think the protests had the same coverage as this issue, am i right?

BTW feel free to send any donations of money. :wub:

regarding the issue in france........where have you been hibernatiing the last year or so..........lol sikhs all over the world have been protesting, weve been presurising mp's , tony blair and indian government with the help of other organisations to  tell the french gov to make a change the law.....

bhl chuk di kima

159335[/snapback]

Well as you can see by my handle being a pakandi baba i have very little time for news of what is going on. :T:

Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think the protests had the same coverage as this issue, am i right?

BTW feel free to send any donations of money. :wub:

159343[/snapback]

dhan dhan pakandi baba ji d_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gif

can you u bless my cuzins family with a boys, can u make me rich and can u make me pass my exams ................ill pay you lots of money

ur such a wonderful pakandi baba, can u do a magic trick plz?

the main reason why the internet has had more coverage for this problem and people made such a big effort to tell everyone is because here we had a deadline before he wud be taken to florida and stripped of religous rights, whereas in france the law was made and we had to change it bk but people didnt hav to cut their hair, they cud live with it for a little while, we wudnt be able to reverse his kesh being cut........

anyway how much are you charging for the services?