Naam simran in Kirtan?

akjforever

A few of us did kirtan at our Gurdwara this weekend. Afterwards I got into a discussion with one of the heads of the Gurdwara that naam simran should not be done in kirtan. He told me that it was wrong to insert anything into a shabad. Esp something of your own. I told him that saying Waheguru, and doing of Simran of Waheguru is not something that I made up. Its God's name. He said that I shouldn't make up my own stuff and insert it into a shabad. Then I asked that what about the countless tuks from SGGS that mention naam simran and repeating of naam. He asked me, How do you know that the word naam in SGGS means Waheguru? He said its not Waheguru. And at that point the discussion pretty much ended. How would the sangat respond? He said that if we are to have a discussion then I should back my view with tuks from SGGS. Also he doesn't believe that the mention of "naam" is Waheguru. What tuks can be used?

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remeber we had huge debate on this topic @ Americansikhs yahoo groups.. I think u was there too Akjforever veerjee.. :)

I see nothing wrong of having vaheguroo simran in between the shabad.. But there's no point in arguing with gurdwara ppls.. They are too much caught into the politics and stuff.. They would literally do anything just to be in Ego powered seat "aka Im in power".. So yeah best thing to do is.. Leave let them be the way they are ! They don't take any additional steps to bring the awarenes of sikhi in our community.. They only want to please the majority of sangat rather than pleasing the sacche patshah..

So yeah best thing to do is.. Leave let them be the way they are ! They don't take any additional steps to bring the awarenes of sikhi in our community.. They only want to please the majority of sangat rather than pleasing the sacche patshah..

Thats what I was thinking veera, makes sense to let them be...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

ok now here are some thoughts from a mahamoorakh (i.e Rochak Malang) ^_^

(1) bhai gurdas jee said "WaheGuru gurmantar hai, jap haumai khoi", therefore undoubtedly WAHEGURU is gurmantar. also Guru Gobind Singh made the panj pyaare say

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

on giving them amrit di daat. so i guess there shudnt be any confusion on name of God according to Sikhi.

(2) sometimes one is so full of love in the middle of singing a shabad while doing kirtan that he/she just starts singing WAHEGURU. as a mahamoorakh i dont see anything wrong in it.

plzz forgive me as i am a certified and authorized mahamoorakh ^_^

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Ask that bhai ji in your gurudwara sahib that when he got Amrit, wasn't he told about the gurmantar by guru saroop 5 pyaare??

And if he was not then tell him that guru sahib HUKAM on ang 1356 of Guru Granth Sahib ji maharaaj is

gur mMqR hIxs´ jo pRwxI iDRgMq jnm BRstxh ]

gur munthr heenusu jo praanee dhrigunth junum bhrusuttuneh

That mortal who lacks the Guru's Mantra - cursed and contaminated is his life.

kUkrh sUkrh grDBh kwkh srpnh quil Klh ]33]

kookureh sookureh gurudhubheh kaakeh surupuneh thul khuleh

That blockhead is just a dog, a pig, a jackass, a crow, a snake. ||33||

But I am not sure what is right and what is wrong... but gurumantar is waheguroo only...

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Guest balwinderkaur

vaaheguroo is our gurmantar....i dont see anything wrong with doing simran in the midst of keertan. not only akj does it..but even ragee keertanees like bhai anoop singh and bhai harjinder singh srinagar wala do simran in keertan. soooo you tell that blockhead man to go mind his business tongue.gif . or best still...DONT talk to him.---------> Moorakhai naal na lujhiyai

Even Bhai Niranjan Singh (Jvaddi Kalaan wale) also does simran in between shabads.. i dun find anything wrong by doing this... waheguru is our gurmantar... thats the basic that we learn.. about gurmantar and mool mantar...

anyway just leave this people ... as wut bhenjee said above Moorakhai naal na lujhiyai let them be..