Bone Cattle In White Sugar!

no.gifno.gif

http://www.askcarla.com/answers.asp?QuestionandanswerID=534

http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj97mar/973sugar.htm

Bone char, which is used to process sugar, is made from the bones of cattle from Afghanistan, Argentina, India, and Pakistan. The bones are sold to traders in Scotland, Egypt, and Brazil who then sell them back to the U.S. sugar industry. The European Union and the USDA heavily regulate the use of bone char. Only countries that are deemed BSE-free can sell the bones of their cattle for this process. Bone char—often referred to as natural carbon—is widely used by the sugar industry as a decolorizing filter, which allows the sugar cane to achieve its desirable white color. Other types of filters involve granular carbon or an ion-exchange system rather than bone char.

Bone char is also used in other types of sugar. Brown sugar is created by adding molasses to refined sugar, so companies that use bone char in the production of their regular sugar also use it in the production of their brown sugar. Confectioner’s sugar—refined sugar mixed with cornstarch—made by these companies also involves the use of bone char. Fructose may, but does not typically, involve a bone-char filter. Supermarket brands of sugar (e.g., Giant, Townhouse, etc.) obtain their sugar from several different refineries, making it impossible to know whether it has been filtered with bone char.

If you want to avoid all refined sugars, we recommend alternatives such as Sucanat and turbinado sugar, which are not filtered with bone char. Additionally, beet sugar—

—though normally refined—never involves the use of bone char and Edward & Sons Trading Company has developed a vegan confectioner’s sugar which should be available in health food stores soon.

It would be virtually impossible for PETA to maintain information on the refining process used for the sugar in every product. We encourage you to contact companies directly to ask about the source of their sugar.

Yeah my dad told me this. He said in India they used to use "DOG BONES" to whiten sugar in the factories. Apparently its common knowledge. However, in this country I thought they used BLEACH or COLOURING AGENTS and not animal bones? Chalo, Rab Jaane... My family and I have switched to BROWN SUGAR (known as "GuR" in Panjabi) a while ago.

Brown Sugar:

1. Its healthier

2. Tastes better.

• 3 weeks later...

is this true for brown sugar as well?

what doesn't contain sugar....nothing

what does:

bread, cereals, cheese, yogurt (ski etc), baked beans, frozen vegetarian foods, soy milk, margarines, most canned foods etc

basically iv listed my whole diet...except roti & fruit/veg

virtually everything

BTW...does bread require a pasting of egg white? cuz i said to someone i don't eat egg products N they were like...you dont eat bread either then? ohmy.gif