Nagar Kirtan And Mela

nanaksar.org

VJKK VJKF,

Vaisakhi Nagar Kirtan and Mela tomorrow (30th April) in Wolverhampton starting from Guru Nanak Satsang Gurdwara, Cannock Road, Wolverhampton and then passing all Gurdwaras in Wolverhampton reaching West Park and Approx. 1pm.

A feature of this years Mela in West Park is the "Sikhi Tent" for the youth aimed specifically for our youngsters. The Tent will include:

* multimedia presentations

* Lectures

* Sikhi Arts

* Martial Arts and Gatka Displays

* Sikhi competitions

and lots more.....

The aim is to reach Sikh Youth at the mela who are otherwise unreachable....ie never come to the gurdwara etc.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should be good. I went a few years ago and the smell of the meat from some of the food stalls was really nice.

Towards the end of the day all the young blood blocked Dudley Road so they could do bhangra with their kesri flags (with khanda on them) whilst holding bottles of sharab. no.gif

Considering the funding the organisers receive the event in the park was pretty poor. The organisers are really clever they get funding and money they do not use they manage to keep for next years event and for the next event they get more funding. Wolverhampton Council must employ some stupid people.

Perhaps- that's why you should go along Kurta bhaaji because then if the sikhs outnumber the mice it looks better. Shows them how it is really done.

Mind you every Nagar Kirtan I have known of abroad has self invited bhangra dancers.

That's funny, as there is no meat allowed in the mela the smell must be coming from *****

The Nagar Kirtan/Mela is organised by sewadar, the funding never covers the total cost and many people put money in from their own pockets.

If you think the Sikhi Tent is not a good idea do you have any better ones to bring Sikhi outside of the 4 walls of our Gurdwara's?

You're quick to out down the sewa that goes on but do you have any better ideas? If you think you can do this better please contact me and I will personnally take you to the next Council Meeting to see how you can make a difference.

This is a problem with our Sikhi, when someone takes a step to do something for our religion there are 10 people (also our Sikh's) doing the opposite.

Pinku_sikh

That's funny, as there is no meat allowed in the mela the smell must be coming *****

I think I may have been standing ****

I have not mentioned the Sikhi tent so why are you getting worked up ? grin.gif Do you simply like jumping to conclusions ?

Yes I have a problem with the bhangra and other badmashi type behaviour of those that attend the mela and see it as a good opportunity to get together and cause damage to the reputation of Sikhs. Maybe you could address the problems that have occured on Dudley Road after the event with youngsters acting like little hoodlums.

As for meat, I have said I went a few years ago and I am pretty sure there was some bloke selling meat Maybe things have changed since then or I have got the mela mixed up with the one in brum.

The Nagar Kirtan/Mela is organised by sewadar, the funding never covers the total cost and many people put money in from their own pockets.

So do you audit everything ? Ask the organisers for all the past accounts and check for yourself and you will see they have had surplus funds for some of the mela.

You carry on attending your council meetings and enjoy the mela. I will be at my local Gurdwara enjoying Kirtan :TH: .

The best part is when the PA speaks in his limited english on the big stage. Considering all the young educated and well spoken Sikhs in the Wolverhampton area it is rather sad that certain people want to maintain a monopoly on the microphone. The speaches from the local MPs made me sleep and the VIP guests on the stage looked as if they had been forced at gunpoint to attend the event. All in all a very boring day.

The birmingham mela is no better. Several years ago you had Baba Takhur Singh Ji attending part of the function on one side of the field and on the other side you had jazzy b singing about jawani etc. At the end the young loafers tried to block soho road so they could do jugni.

Guest militant singh

Should be good. I went a few years ago and the smell of the meat from some of the food stalls was really nice.

Towards the end of the day all the young blood blocked Dudley Road so they could do bhangra with their kesri flags (with khanda on them) whilst holding bottles of sharab. no.gif

Considering the funding the organisers receive the event in the park was pretty poor. The organisers are really clever they get funding and money they do not use they manage to keep for next years event and for the next event they get more funding. Wolverhampton Council must employ some stupid people.

smell of the meat was gd Hello dis a gursikhi type of website so dont big up meat

Kurta **** Ji,

No meat, drinking, smoking has or ever was allowed at Wolverhampton. You may be confusing this with other mela's

I agree there is a problem with the youth on Dudley Rd etc. The point I'm trying to make is that there is more good than bad at the mela for Sikhi.

If some idiots want to block Dudley Rd then that is up to them, this is nothing to do with the people organising the event. Most of these idiots are from down South anyhows. This year the Sikh Council has been instructed by the police that anyone who honks there horn or attempts to block a road will be arrested. So I hope the police backup this statement with action.

People devote a lot of their personal time to this function. Youth who have never entered a Gurdwara attend here so if we can reach out to them here and bring them into Sikhi is this not worth a try?

Instead of putting the Mela down we should be getting more involved so that we can educate our youth in Sikhi. Do you have any other ideas on how to make it better?

What I do know about the funds is that every year they struggle to raise enough money for the Nagar Kirtan/Mela. I will ask for a full audit of accounts for this years event and post it here. If you want more then feel free to attend the next Council Meeting. Contact me for further info.

Seriously if anyone has any ideas on how to make this a better event for Sikhi then please reply and get involved yourselves.

smell of the meat was gd Hello dis a gursikhi type of website so dont big up meat

No meat discussions are allowed on this site. So I just follow what the 1980 (or was it 1979) Hukumnama on the issue of meat consumption. According to that it is good and according to Sikhs I met in Pakistan it is good so who am I to disagree. d_oh.gif