Arranged Marriages Vs. Love Marriages

canadian_sikh

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wjkk wjkf

wat do u think of arranged marriages vs. love marriages. which do u feel r better n y? i no my answer, i just wanted 2 see wat the sangat felt

bhul chuk maaf,

wjkk wjkf

charan sharan gur ek pinda jaey chal

satgur kote painda agay hoey layt hai

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

One cannot expect to live a happy life if you marry someone who does not share the values and beliefs that you hold. The most obvious is a sikh with a non-sikh, but as there are many types of sikhs too, you MUST get to know the person before moving forward. Arranged marriages, even as they occur now, are a farce. Parents call them arranged, but most of the time the couple get to know one another before they commit.

For example, if I am a strict amritdhari (taksali rehat, etc.) and I try to marry someone who I later find out doesn't care much for sikhi, the marriage is in for some trouble, because to compromise, both have to give up some of their beliefs.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Fateh

das kinda confusin cuz ya see i alwayz thought dat love marraiges wer agenst sikhi yet wat if two really strict amrit-dhaari's wanna marry and they're both in to sikhi?....yet woudnt that be wrong cuz they suppose to be bro and sis?.....duz it still stay da same bro and sis way for sikhs who are ready to get married?some parents are betrayin their children by doin arranged marraiges either for money or to get rid uv da kid....mostly daughters.......its pretty confusin.....can i have some more details bout this pleez...thnx!

Fateh grin.gif

wjkk wjkf

wat do u think of arranged marriages vs. love marriages. which do u feel r better n y? i no my answer, i just wanted 2 see wat the sangat felt

bhul chuk maaf,

wjkk wjkf

As a 30 something who had a "love" marriage you would expect me to say love marriage is better. This is not the case. Either marriage is acceptable provided people go into them with eyes wide open.

I got married to a Sikh woman, and it was a conscoius choice because I knew my values and would more likely be shared with a Sikh woman. This however, should not be the end all and be all for choosing a relationship.

Sikhism says:

"Recognise the Human Race as One"

and that is what you should do when selecting a partner and not prejudice cloud your judgement. However, this should not also be used as and excuse for dismissing all Sikhs as a potential partner either...........

Guest Joke

wjkk wjkf

bhul chuk maaf,

wjkk wjkf

Here's a joke i recieved on sms few days back, I thought it fits well in this topic:

Q: What is the difference between love marriage and arranged marriage?

A: One is a perfect suicide, and the other is a planned murder.

diepig.gif

kick.gif

lol @ above

das kinda confusin cuz ya see i alwayz thought dat love marraiges wer agenst sikhi yet wat if two really strict amrit-dhaari's wanna marry and they're both in to sikhi?....yet woudnt that be wrong cuz they suppose to be bro and sis?.....duz it still stay da same bro and sis way for sikhs who are ready to get married?some parents are betrayin their children by doin arranged marraiges either for money or to get rid uv da kid....mostly daughters.......its pretty confusin.....can i have some more details bout this pleez...thnx!

hmm u confusing it up now. Sikhi does not say anything about arranged/love marriage. It shouldn't really mater who you marry..

wjkk wjkf

bhul chuk maaf,

wjkk wjkf

Here's a joke i recieved on sms few days back, I thought it fits well in this topic:

Q: What is the difference between love marriage and arranged marriage?

A: One is a perfect suicide, and the other is a planned murder.

diepig.gif

kick.gif

BaAaahahahAhAaHahahaaHAhaahahaaHahahahaAhaha LOL.gif

hmm u confusing it up now. Sikhi does not say anything about arranged/love marriage. It shouldn't really mater who you marry..

that's true... one style and concept does not neccesarily fit all. I will probably get into a 'love" relationchip than a planned relationship. i don't see myself meeting someone and then being with them for the rest of my life that quickly.