Bhatra Sikhs

Big_Tera

tera I guess you dont eat from which you serve.

If you did was it after you were done reading the Early morning Banis or was it just a broken fast for no reason?

the only time meat is served. ie bacon and eggs full english is in a sepertae building. this is for the guests. who arrive from the boys side on the wedding .

apart from that. vegetarian langar is only served.

May i ask why this is practiced? Is it a custom? It's the firtstime i've ever heard of it to be honest! :T:

Edit - oops i forgot to mention that there are or rather WERE gurdwaras in uk where meat was served in weddings no.gif so it is not people making stuff up to badmouth bhatras.

I have heard of this but never seen it with my own eyes, i'm glad to say! pray.gif

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

""""""""""""the only time meat is served. ie bacon and eggs full english is in a sepertae building. this is for the guests. who arrive from the boys side on the wedding ."""""""""""""

Discrimanating the women and make them eat from somewhere else?

""""""""""""the only time meat is served. ie bacon and eggs full english is in a sepertae building. this is for the guests. who arrive from the boys side on the wedding ."""""""""""""

Discrimanating the women and make them eat from somewhere else?

lol

if you want some information i can give it you.

theres no need to ask inl a sly way lol.

rolleyes.gif

anyway.

No. the women and men eat together.

what i meant by the boys side. is the janj which includes men and women. basicaly the people related to the boys side.

dont tell me the next question is. are the kids locked in a cellar. while this takes placee lol

rolleyes.gif

Just a quik comment

Southampton is quite famous for having one of the largest "bhatra" sikh community..

They have their own gurdwara - Infront of it, the board says "Bhatra Sikh Sangat"

and inside, i can confirm, meat IS served. My friends have witnessed this during weddings.

And Anand Kaaraj at 7pm?! wacko.gif that was a bit mindboggling..

That aside, most of my friends have been Bhatra during my teenage years, but sadly I only know of about 2 who are amritdhari.. The rest used to be kesadhari and cut their hair.. My "friends" tried to convince me too!! Waheguru.

Hope Guru Ji gives them bakshish..

But i feel, that by isolating them even more on this invisible dividing line, we are just FUELING this problem!!!!

SSA, fellow Sikhs

i am a Bhatra Sikh.

bhatra sikhs do not serve or eat any kind of meat in the gurdwara. also they do not drink sharaab in the gurdwara and have never done so. however there is a horrible rumour that we eat meat.this is false. what is true is that we serve bacon and eggs etc at weddings for the janj but this is served in a different building from the actual gurdwara. as bhatra dont mix with other sikh castes that much hence you can see how the meat issue can become confusing.

Eh, what ju saying willis? Don’t be bothered so easily by what others think or say …

Well from my personal experience here is what I can confirm, I guess my best friend (whom I have known for few years) happens to fall under this category … as I can see you all like to itemize ppl in Sikhi. So if I can clear up any misconceptions I will certainly try. Contrary to the general word of mouth gossip (i.e. BS) on this community, my friend is super active with the involvement in and around the Gurdwara and so is the entire family. LANGAR IS KOSHER. Men in the family wear pugh (keshadhari?), my friend supported me 110% in becoming vegetarian .. in fact we supported each other and are healthy grass eaters blush.gif I know more about my religion now than I ever did cuz my friend was/is the driving motivator.

So what if they are slightly different from another society (i.e. having breakfast before weddings)? What about all those who get drunk after the wedding at the reception? :| @ No one is perfect. Learn to live your life as an individual before pointing fingers at others, look at things from a macro view. So just like how Portuguese are hooligans and Italians are dooshbags, Sikhs are hypocrites! Only a handful lead a peaceful life of Sikhi. Listen, this caste business is embedded in your brains – it invites nothing but hardship – so you can either choose to follow in your parents footsteps (caste-point of origination) or be an educated young adult and learn to mingle w/o censoring.

ppl that are hypocrits are not sikhs

bani makes that clear

jsut because people claim to be sikh does not make them sikh

exactly, only geenae chunae bundeh are genuine Sikhs. The rest are all hypocrites, including myself who answers Sikh when asked "what is your religion?" Errmm but thats not what this post is about ..

guru gobind singh da hukkam aa jo sikh dujje sikh toon ohdi jaat pushda oh mera sikh nahi .... guru gharch ek dujje di jaat pushni we manna ... te apni jaat da hankar .... app sochlo guru di nazarch appan kithe kharde aa ...

maffi

gurbur akal