Student Camps

harshjeet

Education. Sangat. Enlightenment.

Camps help people either

A: Come into Sikhi...

or

B: Help those already into Sikhi to progress further.

They give people a chance to learn more about what our Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee ACTUALLY says, as an oppose to that "make it up as you go along" method that a lot of parents and the older generations use.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ke Fateh

A great question and I think anyone involved in a camp should reply here with their thoughts for organisers to further improve the camps they already run.

Camps should happen as mentioned above with a couple of goals with vision in mind so the campers walk away thinking:

1. Positive

2. They centre Gurbani techings daily in their life or begin to this .. applying learned skills.This doesn't mean doing nitnem and that's it this mean to everything in life in every second that's passing by the indvidual.

3. It was great it gives them a new way of thinking that makes them feel proud their Guru sahiban and purataan sikhs.

4.Camp organisers should focuse on purratan sikhs on how they took on challanges in life daily in history e.g 1984, 1978, or any period prior to that. We have countless black days in sikh history, countless shaeeds in the panth, they should be talked about at lenght by the oragnisers.

5. How to portray themselves in the wider world as sikhs which projects a positive image for sikhe in genreal.

Overall the campers and their organisers should think in similar thinking of large multinational companies who are successfull, for e.g a key line for IBM has always been " THINK GLOBAL ACT LOCAL"

WaterlooSSA just recently had a camp for the kids this past weekend..

I would have to say, camps are NEEEDED !

Kids neeeeed this.. we need to inspire them or else it would be too late as we see in some youth today involved in gangs/drugs/violence etx..

After our first camp with these kids in such a small community (kitchener/waterloo), we still managed to sign up 60-70 kids for the camp.

I think this question should be asked to those 6 yr olds.. 8 yr olds.. and some were asked and in reply they just wanted to know "when are you guys coming back .." Its just a bond that these kids need that some may not be getting at home, or their friends, elders..

Some didnt even know what true sangat is .. some didnt even know what simran is .. or what is amritvela .. what a proper gursikh should do ..

Kids need inspiriation and im sorry to say .. elders of our gurdwara committee.. or others straight from india cant bond well with kids of today better then kids/youth that are born and raised here ..

I dun have any younger simblings or cousins .. and the hugs and love i got from these kids from just 3 days .. is just priceless! Over that we spent all 3 days at gurdwara sahib chillin wit guru sahib .. there was no other place i would rather be !!

vaaaheguroooo !! pray.gif

when i was small i used to go to the camps like i think 2 times i went

this was a while ago

this is where i learnt the basics of sikhi the name 4 sahibzaddai 5 pyarai, 10 gurus etc...

you think the little kids like 6 or 8 years old arent learning or listening but it acctully they are

but i want to stress... that the teaching of shri guru granth sahib should be taught and only shri guru granth sahib ji and what the panth says...