Marriage With Pind Da Munda/kuri

Guest Jaspuvanjyot Kaur

WJKK WJKF

I am very surprised at very respected seniors members saying that intra-pind & marriages among people with same surnames all wrong . .

I agree that one is not allowed to marry his siblings , but i see a scientific reason to this . . It is because of genetic reason . .Siblings have many matching genes , marrying one's sibling may lead to complications for their child ,as if Dominant Genes have a problem in both the parents it is assured that their child will develop that defect on birth.

I know my answer is not very convincing , but i would love to hear some medical doctor on the forum to comment on this. .

WJKK WJKF

i dont think so its genetic reasons ... as genese are not just related to humans but all living beings and if we see animals living in jungles they mate in kinda family only and they are healthy ... its a social issue not a biological as far as i can think ...

WJKK WJKF

In the case of humans i have found some relevant stuff . .

I am quoting this from this web-link : http://eccentricscientist.wordpress.com/2007/04/12/why-shouldnt-you-marry-your-sister/

Take for example a hypothetical disease characterised by a genetic fault on gene d. Humans have two copies of each (non-X/Y sex) chromosome, and thus each gene. Most people in a population (say 99%) will have two copies of the healthy D gene (DD). One percent, however, will carry one copy of the diseased gene (Dd).

The disease is recessive. That is, people are healthy unless they have two copies of the diseased gene (dd).

If your mother carries one copy of the gene (Dd), you have a 50% chance of inheriting it. So does your sibling. If you marry a random person in the population (who has a 1% chance of carrying the disease), the probability of you both carrying the defective gene is 50/100 * 1/100 or 0.5%.

If you were to marry your sibling, the probability would jump to 50/100 * 50/100 or 25%.

I have found even more relevant matter on http://www.slate.com/id/2064227/

Anyways , i don't want to spend more time discussing this as i think it is not a relevant topic for me . .I just commented because i thought i could shed some light on the medical reasons also( others had already discussed the social reasons)

WJKK WJKF

If i were to marry a guy from my pind it kinda means we have the same background and we could possibly related like my greatX20 father could be his greatX20 fathers brother thus are family treees are branched from the same root, so its just one of those things u dont do cuz its not healthy because the blood of the mother and father should be different!

THUS dont FALL IN LOVE WITH A PINDU

cuz its GROSEEE EWWWWW cuz thats ur second-cousin

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :p

• 5 months later...
Guest Guest

Hi all

i know this is a little late after the topic has been started but just to clarify marrying someone with the same surname isn't doing wrong when it comes to sikhi is it???

to be honest i feel that if they are for definite not related to you and if it isn't against sikhi then it should be allowed

it's really annoying how culture dominates religion at times!!!

Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharajh's Muktee Nama states that a Sikh must refrain from marrying into the two surnames , namely Dhadka (paternal) and Nanakay (maternal).

The ebook version of the Mukhtee Nama can be obtained from:

www.scribd.com/mokhamsingh

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

My husband and I had the same last name eg. Gill but we werent related at all, his family was from ropar and ours from amritsar. even though we have same last name it is soo common name that it doesnt mean that we are related like second cousins, we had even traced back our family tree as far as possible and there was no link between our families and who knows its possible that we one of us wasnt a gill from the start as one of our great great....grandfathers could of changed his last name which was very common thing to do in the old times.

marrying him was the best thing i could have ever done because marrying someone who is your best friend also is the most wise thing you could ever do. yes at the start our families had an issue but they slowly came to realise that there was absolutely nothing wrong as we were marrying a sikh and that technically we are all singhs and kaurs, thus we are brothers and sisters in that sense! i say yes go for same last marriage as long as your are very sure that you arent related and not from the same pind either from mothers or fathers side