Marriage With Pind Da Munda/kuri

Guest Jaspuvanjyot Kaur

dont marry in your nankeh/dadkeh pind.. thats like ewww! haha i'll give you an example ages ago when i was even younger some penji whos a relative wanted to do a history of our pind... and she figured out that all the original founders were somehow related, and thus all the vasis of our pind that come from these 3-5 families which nearly all do and thus can be traced to be relatives!

ohda cuturally society put this rule into place so boys and girls wouldnt see locals with buri nazar according to elderly auntyji thats at my house sat next to me right now.

and when my parents got married their relations were traced back.. and before when theyre parents got married there relations were raced even further then nanis familiy before marriages were confirmed

• 3 months later...

I really need help guys! i really like this guy and we have been together but the thing is i have the same surname as his grandma before she was married...he goes that this might be an issue! he hasnt even got the same surname as me :( so would this be an issue if we were to get married?

This has nothing to do with rituals or against Gurbani or Sikhi, this is common sense and very important.

You must not marry persons from your nankay or dhadkay or who have same surname as your dad or your mums maiden name.

This is to do with genetics, if you start marrying people of your own distant family then there are possibilities of genetic disorders

just look at what is happening to the pakistani community, they have a very high proportion of genetically related illnesses.

If the surnames mix but you can check that the families are from different parts of the country etc then it may be okay.

This is a brilliant process to make sure we do not marry our kin, it really works, it is sad that the pakistanies do not take this up,

alas but they are all in denial.

Surnames should not matter if there is not relation.

You say that it is to do with genetics but if there is not linked and this can be traced then what should it matter. There are too many rules in society these days to do with caste, surnames etc....

If the mother or grandmother has the same maiden name and as long as it can be proven that there is no relation then i say you should go ahead...the most important thing is happiness and if your family put all these cultural things before your happiness then thats not right. Well that is my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest just me

okkkkkkkkkk.. wht i've heard is the actual surname originate from one ancestor many centuries ago... n therez somethin to do with the genes.. like if u guyz have the same surname.. u could both be carryin the same kind of genees... n there r some genees which r harmful but r not so dominate to harm u... but when u guyz decide to have kidz and if the kid inherit those harmful genees from both of uz.. thn there could be a birth defect

• 1 month later...

I heard about this one case where a girl whose surname was Sandhu (her Dhadhkeh in India were also obviously Sandhu too) couldn't get married to the son of her prospective in-laws because they were Sandhu too. Problem was the boy's family were Sandhu's from Kenya!!! :lol: The elders from the girl's side insisted that it was like marrying into the same village, etc, even though both Sandhu's were not related by blood AND resided on different continents! You gotta love Punjabi elders....:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sath Sath Sath Sath

Hi,

The old cultural thinking has very strong base reagrading incestuous relationships. There is the four name rule that you must abide by to avoid marrying a blood relation.

-1st of course you should not marry any one with the same surname,

-2nd you should not marry any one with your mum's maiden name,

- 3rd you should not marry any one with your mum's mum maiden name (your grandmother’s maiden name)

-4th you should not marry any one with your dad's mum’s maiden name.

These rules a were basically set up for non intellects (villagers) to understand about incestuous relationships and children that will be produced will have a higher chance of genetic defects and mental disability.

• 8 months later...