Restriction On Size Of Kirpan

mere man jap

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sangat Ji I Was Just Wondering Is Their Any Restriction On The Size Of Kirpan Your Can Wear To School Or College In U.K ??

There arent any written guidelines, however we must wear it under our clothes, a police officer once told me it must not be out on public display. As for size, there arent any lawful restrictions however its a bit impractical wearing a very large one. Unlike Canada there hasnt been any problems hear just yet. But recently many youth , non-amritdhari have been wearing it along with huge Kara. They claim it as religiuos articles of faith, but in reality they use it to attack others.

Sangat Ji I Was Just Wondering Is Their Any Restriction On The Size Of Kirpan Your Can Wear To School Or College In U.K ??

Unlike Canada there hasnt been any problems hear just yet.

Actually, my brother. In Canada, we didn't really have a problem before the Kirpan case as well, it was just in one province which was Quebec that the Secondary School Board didn't allow it, so the case went to Canada's Highest Court - Supreme Court of Canada. And the decision came out FULLY in the favour of Sikhs that they are allowed to wear there Kirpan at school with the exception that it is UNDER the clothing of the student. Remember this is only for HIGHSCHOOL or in other terms SECONDARY school. In College/University we are allowed to wear it outside, showing anybody our Kirpan, and same goes for the Public, and Public places like the mall, airport, offices, City Hall, etc.

Here is the link to that case: http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/kirpan/

Anywyas, to answer the question of the person who made this thread, I have no idea what the laws are like in England for that, it may vary Region to Region in your case, but in Commonwealth countries, Sikhs usually don't have any problems, considering that's where Sikhs settle outside of India, majority of the times in Commonwealth countries. :TH:

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki Fatehji

Harmeet Singh ji

You are right in that in uk there are no official guidlines FOR SIZE ETC.

Each local authroity coucnil are encouraged to formulate their own policy based on National guidelines. in some polcies there is a restrictionon size, others not. It normally depends on which' Sikhs' were involved in discussions etc

But one thing, what the police officer told you is legally wrong.

Legally speakign the offensive weapons act makes it clear that the kirpan can be worn pubilcally in the uk. (there is no mention or coverign it up or not).

The only' ambigous area of the policy is that, while publically, you can wear it, if you are on private grounds, the owner etc if they make a good case in terms of a possible health and saftey concern, then they have a case.

in uk there are a few cases happening. Recently Gursikhs from Midlands ensured that a kirpan can be worn into footbal lgrounds providing a policy is followed).

This took over a year to win, but with negiotiaion and making others aware, then agencies etc haven't really got a case to argue.

But recently many youth , non-amritdhari have been wearing it along with huge Kara. They claim it as religiuos articles of faith, but in reality they use it to attack others.

Now that really is an issue of beadbi. When they do that they risk bringing bad views on all Sikhs. Those people are so irresponsible and they make me angry. They try to make the kirpan an instrument of their 'gangster rap' lifestyle. Do you have any personal experience of this to share with us?

Recently Gursikhs from Midlands ensured that a kirpan can be worn into footbal lgrounds providing a policy is followed).

Do you have more details on that case and other cases??

That would be controversial, especially given the whole thing about football hooliganism.

Please provide links if there are any available.

Gurfateh

The case happened recently at a major football club in the uk. It was decided to keep it low profile (*i.e not go to the press etc) as the policy was initially for 6 months. Thus we didn't want to do anythign that could affect the short term policy.

Once a full time policy is implemented while still not goign to the press ect, we will use it as good practice guide for other situations.

If you do require more details. pls pm me

Gurfateh ji

Wutgwan

The whole thing should be done sensitively and non confrontationally. I know for a fact that if this gets to the press Sikhs will be put under pressure by the media as 'demanding' special priveliges. The whole thing about a football stadium is sensitive because of incidents of football hooliganism. The media would spin it as 'why are these Asians allowed to carry knives into a stadium whilst we are not'.

Paaji, I hope you understand the need to avoid all situations like that, for the sake of not letting misunderstandings arise. Being confrontational will bring unnessecary grief all around, when we should be focussing on goodwill to society so that they understand us, especially in the current climate of suspicion towards 'Asians' and over multiculturalism. I trust that you do approach these issues bearing that in mind.

Gurufateh

ino a person who goes to skool in london n they go if u amrit tari u cnt wear a kirpan if u r caught with one u wud get a perminent exclustion, n the teacher goes to the young youth to wear a lil neklace representing the kirpan:S. if the singh wears a kirpan if hes amrit shakt to skool does he hav a casee if they chuk him out? n would the police also b able to help him?