Poem Thread

heart

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh,

Although it seems that way, i wasn't trying to get the thread stopped or anything i just wanted to find out for my personal peace of mind, how is peotry okay. Yes it is inspriring to those who are younger, or don't understand or read gurbaani that well but could something like this(and countless other quotes) not be posted:

True, True, True is God, our Lord and Master.

By Guru's Grace, some speak of Him.

True, True, True is the Creator of all.

Out of millions, scarcely anyone knows Him.

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful is Your Sublime Form.

You are Exquisitely Beautiful, Infinite and Incomparable.

Pure, Pure, Pure is the Word of Your Bani,

heard in each and every heart, spoken to the ears.

Holy, Holy, Holy and Sublimely Pure -

chant the Naam, O Nanak, with heart-felt love. ||8||12||

• Again, i'm sorry i know this looks like i'm saying no you're wrong, don't write poetry cause look what the guru ji's already did. BUT I'M NOT i don't really have a way with words i'm not that gifted, but in my own foolish way i'm just trying to debate and actually, hopefully, get someone to prove that it's okay to write your own poetry.

• Again this is for my peace of mind, i went to sikhpoems.com and read a random poem (tera darbar), but again it seemed to me like something the guru ji's already wrote in gurbaani and this was a person writing it in his/her own words which is where i notably have a slight problem.

• At the same time i feel bad because i can understand where people are coming from but to an igorant person like me it just seems like - there are english translations/meaning of gurbaani all over the web which sound similar and yet other poems are being written.

I'm really sorry if i've offended anyone who feels strongly about writing poems i don't mean to throw a dampner on things, as i say i just want to clear some things up.

I actually think it's okay to write poetry about our history and stuff like dhadhi's do, i just can't get my head around making a reference to akaal purkh or his kala in your own poetry (probably cause my understanding is pretty poor).

Could i have your views on that please and again i apologise if i've offended anyone with my koarre bol sangat bakhshan yog hai bakhash laina. d_oh.gifd_oh.gif

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

i have no idea what just happened and i am too lazy to read it so im just going to post my poem lol

Your love has made me dance allover.

Falling in love with you

Was like drinking a cup of poison.

Come, my healer, it's my final hour.

Your love has made me dance all over.

Vaaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Please forgive me for all the mistakes I’m sure to make in writing even this little bit

poems that the sangat have written are sooo amazing... they are an expression of the love hidden inside these premi Singh, Singniaahs. Just by reading them, prem rises inside of daas, and sometimes tears begin to flow too. How daas wishes he could be even a fraction of what they are.

not only does daas think that they are ok according to Sikhi, but it seems Guru Ji loves them . If you look back in history, Guru Gobind Singh had 52 poets in his Darbaar.

Even in recent times, some really amazing Sikhs have wrote Poetry including Bhai Veer Singh Ji and Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh Ji both Singhs in really high spirits.

poems sometimes seem like they are made from the pain of separation inside the heart, which sends its sharp arrows of prem to the eyes which then drop tears onto the papers forming letters and words.

Daas being the kookar (dog) he is, tries to copy them in his ignorance, hoping to be like them, but what comes out still sounds just like barking tongue.gif

Oh I Hope Maharaj will do kirpaaaaa on this one too : )

Vaaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

bhaji 'har ka daas' i apologise for the previous long winded post i guess the question i was trying to ask was - should we be/is it ok to write about akaal purkh by describing him and his kala?

I think it's ok to write about history and worldly things but i was wondering unless you have realised akaal purkh should we be writing our own 'bani' about him. As guru ji says:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਬਿਨਾ ਹੋਰ ਕਚੀ ਹੈ ਬਾਣੀ ॥

Without the True Guru, other songs are false.

ਬਾਣੀ ਤ ਕਚੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਹੋਰ ਕਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ॥

The songs are false without the True Guru; all other songs are false.

ਕਹਦੇ ਕਚੇ ਸੁਣਦੇ ਕਚੇ ਕਚਂ​‍ੀ ਆਖਿ ਵਖਾਣੀ ॥

The speakers are false, and the listeners are false; those who speak and recite are false.

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਿਤ ਕਰਹਿ ਰਸਨਾ ਕਹਿਆ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਜਾਣੀ ॥

They may continually chant, 'Har, Har' with their tongues, but they do not know what they are saying.

ਚਿਤੁ ਜਿਨ ਕਾ ਹਿਰਿ ਲਇਆ ਮਾਇਆ ਬੋਲਨਿ ਪਏ ਰਵਾਣੀ ॥

Their consciousness is lured by Maya; they are just reciting mechanically.

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਹੋਰ ਕਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ॥੨੪॥

Says Nanak, without the True Guru, other songs are false. ||24||

i apologise if i'm wrong, i just don't know.

sangat bakhshan yog hai bakhash laina.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh i agree with u (the above person posts)

I would write poetry but somehow, i personally, don't feel it's right to write such things and do vaheguru's upma because guru ji has already done it in gurbaani and so how can we find words to describe vaheguru when guru ji has used every word possible and they were as one with vaheguru.

thats exactly how i feel... whenevr i sat down to write something...i would find it in gurbani but written way better thn i evr could express myself.

but my question is ...why do u feel that the panji/veer jis who write poems on sikhpoems shuldnt write poems? i know the panji who writes poems in that site...and she asked me if she should take the website down after reading ur post...cuz thats not what she intended to do(teh feelings that u have expressed). it actually nevr crossed her mind.

she checks this website as well and she is very down to earth...nevr met her but i chat with her almost evryday when time permits to share some words.

i have heard many songs (punjabi, hindi, english...) that kinda sound like someone using words from Guru sahib. i can even pinpoint the words from the lyrics to where it is located in Gurbani.

so what im tryin to ask is ..is it wrong? why?

is it because guru sahib says the bani other thn Gurbani is false? or is there some other reason?

we read books and poems ...and thats bani too...but not gurbani one can say is also false? the books we read etc etc?

bani=words that are spoken i think? thus one can written whtevr they feel like. we have a freedom dont we to express our selves freely?

u should talk to the panji who writes the poems nd kinda help her see ur view point.im not sure how many people feel the way u feel though. but i think it would be wonderful to talk to the person who writes those poems and ask them if they write them as they come to them, just kinda get inspired by gurbani or are they tryin to do something thats against Sikhi?

bhull chuk muaf karni

and i know im here and there right now...can;t even think straight (sorry if this confuses anyone)

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

vaheguruji ka khalsa vaheguruji ki fateh

forgive me for the late response....iv been thinking about what 'muurakh (forgive me)' has said n whethr its okay to write our own poetry.... forgive me but i cant answer that... i hav no knowledge.... i am merely the dust of ur sweet charan.... i have too many avguns.... u selected a random poem from sikhpoems.com - tera darbar poem.... uhm i actually wrote that poem n if it comes across as wrong then i humbly beg the sangats forgiveness but can i pls try n explain how the actual poem came about.... in no way, shape or form was there any attempt to write my own 'bani'.... vaheguru.... i actually had tears in my eyes when i read that bit.... wen that poem came about....i was at a very dark n low place in my life... i didnt consciously sit there n think im gona write a poem... the words jus sort of came.... as a person i struggle to articulate my thoughts when it comes to speaking to othr people... i genuinely struggle... but wen i pick up a pen the words n feelings flow... forgive me again... after a few learned gursikh brothers n sisters read poems that had been written they wanted them to be accesible to sangat... i wasnt sure.... but after a few years with guruji's kind grace the project really came togethr in the form of www.sikhpoems.com.... the thought behind the site was to inspire those younger brothers n sisters who were at the beginning of their quest for Sikhi... nothing more than that.... if the general concensus of the sangat is that that the poetry is underming bani then pls pls pls forgive me and understand that that was nevr the intention and be rest assured the site will be shut down.... forgiveness for my endless flaws

dust of ur everso sweet charan

kaur

vaheguruji ka khalsa vaheguruji ki fateh

wjkkwjkp!

with regards to muurakh (forgive me) i'd just to like to make a few points if this is acceptable...

firstly, im no writer, however when i read the poems i feel inspired to reach out to Guroo Saahib... please dont think that the authors or poets are trying to seek self gratification, because i personally dont think this is the case... as "dust of ur sweet charan" said

i didnt consciously sit there n think im gona write a poem... the words jus sort of came
poems come from the heart, not with the intention of inspiring others but it acts as vent to release ur inner most thoughts and emotions. Thats the case for "Tera Darbaar" (i think).

No one can replace or compete with the power, strength, poetical form and rhythm of Gurbani and i believe no one intends to... like i said its a way to put your thoughts and feelings into words and express yourself, whether this is done personally or put into the public domain is irrelevant as the main essence is to express one's feelings.

No one can compare anything that we write to Gurbani as they are both on different planes... Bani coming from Dhur (Akaal Purakh) and these poems coming from our minds or hearts... however, it can be said that they too come from Akaal Purakh as They make us do everything (Hukamai Andar Sabh Ko...) dont get me wrong... im not saying this IS the case im just stating some may argue the point.

I think ive rambled on a bit too much now so im going to end it here... we need to see things in such a manner that we have a little more acceptance. We need to try to judge the intentions and see whether they are pure or impure, that will then give us the understanding to see the good in all...

Im no one to dictate how to live ur life do so as u please, however, the Lord makes us do everything we do so all is Good, nothing is bad, all is True...

Satguroo Raakhaa!

wjkkwjkp!

I actually agree with a lot of what you said i'll give an in depth reply later today, sorry i have to go. I'm going to try and get in touch with sodhi ji tmorrow and see what they but personally i hope the site isn't closed. I got a pm and replied to dust of your sweet charan asking the site not to be closed i'll explain later. Thanks for your views and trying to enlighten a fool like me to be a bit more humble and understanding.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh,

Please read this it took me nearly 2 hours and i know it shouldn't, sorry, but it does annoy me when the post is ignored just cause it really long, i have a slow brain. and i've tried to give answers but have questions as well.

In reply to taksali singh,

• you wrote "firstly, im no writer, however when i read the poems i feel inspired to reach out to Guroo Saahib..." do you not feel as inspired by bani, if not more, or...forgive me, i don't know...but i guess this would be directed at everyone, maybe you don't understand/can't read bani that well in which case an effort should be made to do so and maybe read translations on the net rather than saying, i don't understand bani so i'll just read these poems. Also if you do understand bani and maybe the understanding of gurmukhi is lacking and you don't feel inspired by gurmukhi (???) then i think you should listen to katha and understand it and listen to and read translations as well reading gurmukhi. Forgive me if i'm wrong or lacking in knowledge in my reply.

• secondly "poems come from the heart, not with the intention of inspiring others but it acts as vent to release ur inner most thoughts and emotions. Thats the case for "Tera Darbaar" (i think)."
    i agree with this and and i guess i have no problem with the poet writing poems for his/herself to express their emotions. But i think poems which are about vaheguru or his kala should be kept personal and not be made public for others to read and then possibly contemplate on those words which are about vaheguru this is what makes it, in my humble opinion, wrong(sorry). This is where i believe when someones trying to get closer to vaheguru, they should read and understand bani and not say i don't understand it and therefore read someone's interpretation, forgive me, but that's what it is a PERSONAL interpretation.
  • But again this is MY OPINION i don't know for sure if it's right or wrong, and i'm just being ignorant and not very understanding and maybe it is actually ok to write such poems i don't know and therefore would like to know why it's ok and why my opinion is wrong so that i can change it.

• following that - "No one can replace or compete with the power, strength, poetical form and rhythm of Gurbani and i believe no one intends to..." I totally agree
  • "like i said its a way to put your thoughts and feelings into words and express yourself, whether this is done personally or put into the public domain is irrelevant as the main essence is to express one's feelings."
    Well i said what i think, above, about it being personal and shouldn't be public etc. please tell me what you think and maybe why i'm wrong

• "We need to try to judge the intentions and see whether they are pure or impure, that will then give us the understanding to see the good in all..."
    I know it might not've come across that way and i was writing with too much hunkar but i do understand that the poet had very good intentions and the good that was intended. Also i don't have a problem with historical poems like the one about 1984, it's just the one's about akaal purakh that i don't know whether they are right or not.

"Im no one to dictate how to live ur life do so as u please,"

Yeah thats right, i will (only joking) if you can tell me how to be a better sikh then please do.

"however, the Lord makes us do everything we do so all is Good, nothing is bad, all is True..."

This is true for us and true unfortunately for people like nakali nirankaaris and nangs grin.gif . The thing is maybe they have not been educated or gained the wrong education and sangat like me, or actually Vaheguru wrote their lekh in such a manner. But they can be helped by others like yourself and be given the right education.

And especially if it's their first joon and they're human beings and have started doing vikaar

Sorry i have this theory which , forgive me, i am going to explain and it's not even complete so i'm gonna sit here for ages getting it complete as possible before i write.

right i heard someone debating and saying we don't know whether like karam are first or lekh or if certain things are not set. So i got to thinking

I reckon the first time you come to earth akaal purakh has either

• written your lekh but you have no karam ( koi karam kumae ni hale) so you come on the earth and your lekh are set but your everyday karam arent. I don't have an in depth understanding or explanation to that but i hope you understand what i'm saying. eg it's written that you will go to the gurdwara, but what you do there is not concrete so you go there and cross paths with a chardikala singh who says come on lets do this seva for 5 mins then you can go or i need help with something which turns out to be seva and it makes those gharrean in your life safal (sorry with the mixed english-punjabi). I guess in my understanding lekh are things such as your age, how many children etc but i don't know, and then you do your own karam. In this case you do your own karam, as it mentions in gurbaani so many times and therefore set your lekh and your bhag and joon for the next life. This theory this goes for all life forms, if a sant touches a flower or an animal, it is saved or at least will have better lekh next time.

• OR your good lekh and karam etc are written from Vaheguru he makes us do everything but on earth you are battling against the five thieves who make you do the bad things and therefore when you back to akaal purakh your next lekh are written depending on how much you've managed to remember god and how much you've indulged and been controlled by the five.
    I got a few quotes from Guru granth sahib ji (there were loads more obviously):
    "ਹਉ ਹੋਆ ਮਾਹਰੁ ਪਿੰਡ ਦਾ ਬੰਨਿ ਆਦੇ ਪੰਜਿ ਸਰੀਕ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥
    I have become the Master of my body-village; I have taken the five rivals as prisoners. ||4||"
    ਮਃ 5 - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok
    "ਸੋਈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਨਿ ਪੰਜੇ ਦੂਤ ਕੀਤੇ ਵਸਿ ਛਿਕੇ ॥
    He is the True Guru, the Primal Being, who has totally conquered his five passions. "
    ਮਃ 4 - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok
    "ਪੰਚ ਦੂਤ ਮੁਹਹਿ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥
    The five enemies are plundering the world.
    ਮਨਮੁਖ ਅੰਧੇ ਸੁਧਿ ਨ ਸਾਰਾ ॥
    The blind, self-willed manmukhs do not understand or appreciate this.
    ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੁ ਅਪਣਾ ਘਰੁ ਰਾਖੈ ਪੰਚ ਦੂਤ ਸਬਦਿ ਪਚਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੨॥
    Those who become Gurmukh-their houses are protected. The five enemies are destroyed by the Shabad. ||2|| "
    ਮਃ 3 - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

[*]or sends you down (the first time) with no lekh which explains a lot, you come on the earth and do whatever you do of your own free will and if you're lucky enough to gain sadh sangat or just good sangat it stands you in good stead for 'the next time'. and if you do bad things then you have bad lekh next time.

i'm putting this bit in that other thread as well to which i wasnt gonna reply to but seen as i've just gone on and on and on and on (lol sorry as if it's not long enough already).

so anyway make of that what you will people just some crazy ideas from a misguided person.

Forgive me if i missed the initial point completely and went off on a tangent and forgive me for my mistakes, or if i've offended anyone or said anything against gurmat. sangat bakhshan yog hai. Fateh parvaan karni.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh.

• 2 weeks later...

Tired

Tired of thinking about things of no use

Tired of being too blind to understand the Truth

Tired of the tears and bottling them all in

Tired of the artificiality outside and within

Tired of being far too proud to be honest

Tired of disappointments, the hurt and mistrust

Tired from obession of this body of dust

Tired from fear of asking for help

Nothing to do apart from write these words

Too tired to fight, too tired to search

Too tired to knock on the temporary doors

Too tired to dream, too tired to scream.

We think the world revolves around us

But for us it does, because that's our world.

- By Someone Tired.