Religious Clothing To College?

Guest sikh gyal

Wearing Bana is part of identity. People all seek an identity of some sorts. Some people dress up like "skaters" others like "goths" and so many other ways to express what they believe in and what is important to them. We all try to express who we are at least to some extent, through our clothing.

Sikh Bana (religious clothing) is an expression of faith in Sikh teachings and the principles of the Sikh faith. It stands as a constant reminder to the person wearing it that they are committed to certain principles like meditation on naam, mercy for all, staniding up for what's right, honesty, etc. It's like wearing a uniform. When you are wearing Guru Gobind Singh jee's uniform you try to be always on your best behaviour so you don't disgrace it at all. You realise you are representing more than just yourself; you're also representing your Guru.

For others who see this uniform, it is a sign that the person believes in certain principles and people with bad ideas won't even bother approaching them. For example it's unlikely someone's going to invite a person wearing a chola to a gig or to go out drinking or to a club. People know that this person doesn't believe in that sort of thing.

On top of all that, fashion is always changing and a person is a slave to society when it comes to clothes. A person has to buy the latest styles to stay up to date. People look back at their fashions from 10 years back and laugh at how silly they look. A Sikh who wears bana can look back 50 years and it's pretty much the same things they wear now. You aren't a slave to what 'people' think looks nice. The main concern becomes what will look nice to Guru Sahib and other Gursikhs.

Other benefits: relatively cheap clothing that doesn't need to be replaced often, MUCH more comfortable and suitable for all situations be they in the home, school or anywhere else.

Hope that helps.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Khalsa Productions

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

^^ well said Singh132

and if you still dont know why then please ask the Gur Sikhs who you have seen wearing them.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I think i know who your talking about. very very close brother of mine. they wear it as it allows them to remember what they are, and who they belong to. personally when i see this person i feel so inspired. they also wear it so people will c that they are a sikh of Guru Gobind Singh. its the same principle of a dastaar (turban). it takes alot of courage to get to the ability to wear things like that as there are always the odd few that will do nindia, and say oh luk hes wearing a skirt.... but Guru Kirpa they keep chardi kalla

well penji jus like ur comfortable wearin normal clothes...they prlby feel comfortable wearin bannah and whaz rong in wearin ya guruz bannah???? and i reckon it takes lotsa gutz to wear those kinda clothes to college in western countries.. so respect.gif

bhul chuk maaf jio

wjkk..wjkf

many propz for those people bc not many would do so... this shows their love for their religion rockon.gif

sikh gyal there is ur answer

ps. im hungry man.

thats it im off to the fridge

Guest sikh gal

one of them used 2 drink and smoke and cut hair i have been told by a friend ??

what makes them change? what makes them want to be religious when most people see it as a burden??

one of them used 2 drink and smoke and cut hair i have been told by a friend ??

what makes them change? what makes them want to be religious when most people see it as a burden??

We all been at that stage once in our lives

..well I have..

living my past life.. i was empty. I was in such a state of mind - Life became meaningless..

..Then i got into Sikhi..

Stuff like 1984 and Sikh History inspired me soo soo much. How much Sikhs fought in World Wars, How Sikhs helped most for independance (proportion wise) and how Sikhi hasnt been proved by science!!

I dont see as myself being "religious".. when I see that word i think of Christains/Muslims/Hindus..Sikhi is beyond all that.. Its a way of life.. Khalsa is a nation.. Its a discipline like a soldier.. With the devotion of the Saint.

on that note, i remember teling a Budhist convert how Sikhi is about being Saint Soldiers and he was like "wow that sounds so sexy" :D lol..er... anywhoo...

Khalsa is so amazing.. its so perfect.. I yearn to be up there.. the perfect Saintly Warrior

..My point is, Sikhi isnt a burden of rituals like other religions, its more about.. love, compassion blended with warrior-hood. Sikhi is practical in so many ways.. How can it be a burden when we've had so many Singhs/Singhnis sacrificed for us to BE here and call ourselves Sikhs?! (personally i find it kind of annoying when people see Sikhi is a "burden".. they dont admit to their weaknesses and then blame Sikhi for it!)

Sori i sometimes go on and on about this blush.gif

On the other hand.. What i see nowadays are not Khalsa (just looked on SS news panel and sees a pic of Badal lol)

its realising purpose 2 life. and realising how fortunate we are to be born into sikh families to even come across Guru Granth Sahib ji. try searching into translations and meanings of gurbani on

sikhitothemax.com

i think you'l find you answer on any ang of mahraaj. the banis so great. cant comprehend how this aint truth. i used 2 ask many questions on things like, what d hel is d point of all dis, goin school, goin old, marriage, kids or wat not. its realising that the life we are living is fake. and theres so much we dont know, but Guru Sahib gives the answers to any question you have.

Being just a regular person living life without a purpose and feeling forced to act like others is the real burden. Take a look around you. Are people really being who they want to be? Is what you see really "them" or is it just an appearance they're putting on because that's what they think people want them to be?

In society we end up trying to be what we think others will like and will make them admire us. It's true if you really sit down and reflect. Why wear make up? Why pluck out your hair? Why pierce yourself? Why wear uncomfortable and super-tight clothes? These aren't pleasant things. Most people wouldn't do it if they were alone or just at home. It's done because you want to fit in. Because you need others. It's so sad that even the way we talk and what we say is just to fit in sometimes, not what we really believe.

That's where Sikhi comes in. You know who you are and you don't try to change for others. People are looking for "fun" and "love", who'd think that you can find the ultimate for both in Sikhi? Most people can't even think for a moment that it might just be fun to do kirtan and naam. But if you've tried everything else, why not give this a chance?

On the whole, the most content, satisfied and happy people I've met are all Sikh and follow Guru Sahib's teachings. When you get that feeling you start to change by yourself and don't care what others think. After all, who are they to judge and why would you want to be like them anyways?