France

Guest balwinderkaur

wel france has NEVER been a "full of freedom". I lived and studied for 10 years in France (Paris), and beleive me i had some very very tough difficulties to come accross. I was not allowed to wear Dastar at school, forget about kirpan. But i was lucky because my father was a very influencing person. He had some friends who were french-sikhs and they helped me go through my graduate studies. It early 90s, when a guard on the road would see you and you do not look like a black or white person, they would ask for your ID card-passport. Meaning you had to have your passport with you all the time, And I liket he rest of my familly were french citizen. My father and another singh (P. Singh) were the very first dastar dharee-amritdharee sikhs who received french citizenship after years and years of stuggle because the interior minitser would not allow them to keep dastar for passport pictures. After that many indians-punjabi started coming to France, and had no problem of such but of course would be stopped in public to verify Identity. Recently, since the european coutries got together, The ministry, again, does not allows sikhs to have their picture on passport to be with head covered. You have to uncover your head in order to have your french passport, otherwise, forget it. Most people living in france took off their dastar for a couple of minutes to be photographed for their passport, there are only about 2 singhs who have filed lawsuits over lawsuits, to let them have their photos with covered head, but nothing is happening, no changes. And now this. French are very stubborn people. Its their way or the high way. Situation of sikhs living in france is very bad.

I have been living in Quebec

city (french city)for the last 7 years now. I retured over there, last month for business. and i went to the gurdwara. And guess what you could count on your fingers how many dastar dharee people there were. Not many. Most are monay-clean shaven. So sikh society needs to get together and help the "SIKH CAUSE".

thank you.

Kampreet Kaur

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Kampreet Kaur Bhainji

Firstly welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your personal experiences in France. It is nice to have a personal viewpoint when discussing matters that are in the news and which concern countries where many of the members are not resident.

It is sad that Sikhs in France now have the fight for rights in a country that claims to have been the first to recognise the rights of the individual. The Sikhs in the UK fought this battle over 40 years ago and with the closer integration of the European Union, the Sikhs in the UK who are numerically stronger than the French Sikhs should use their resources to help the French Sikhs. This is where the Sikh political organisations such as Sikh secretariate and Sikh Federation can make their mark. Already some discussion on this issue is being done on the Sikh agenda mailing list.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

Guest balwinderkaur
When I went to Norte Dam, I was asked by the guard to take of my "CAP"  (I had my PATKA ON 

oooooooo that is very bad. luckily when i went into notre dame, i managed to slip past the guards to enter without much fuss. sikhs in france should speak and do somethign about it before things go out of hand.

Guest SikhForLife
C'est rassurant de voir qu'il a des personnes parlant Français dans ce forum. Merci du bienvenue.

Enchanté.

Mais que peut-on faire, ce monde périt à chaque instant. Nous le périssons en fait, ou le regardons périr.

oui.. je parle francais mais peu. hehe i took 3 years of french in high school... i still remember :St:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Personally I think that with the rule allowing EU citizens from one EU country being able to live in any of the other EU countries, the Sikhs from France should come and live in the UK. Leave the Frence to their snail eating and dodgy toilets. Come over to here and at least you can wear the 5 K's without discrimination.

GurFateh

Bikramjit