Militant Singhs And Punjabi Culture

SardarDholi

Thank you for your replies that has cleared up a lot for me.

lok geet is still around and always will be...as lok geet is just (as Baba Bulleh Shah said) "Words from the common tongue".

i dont see the new wave of "punjabis" having any relivane to punjabi culture...its all crap...the new modern songs, culture and attitude is a disgrace to everything that pnjabi culture stands for.

the punjabi culture iam talking about is pind life, doing the rounds on the keeth, drinkin lassi in the morning, driving the tracktor round the keeth. the life is a pind sardar, that part of culture.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhh i think u came on the wrong forum buddy, if u expect Sikhs to accept your kanjar culture that u call punjabi culture then youre highly mistaken.

Punjabi culture isnt boliyan, it isnt punjabi music and it isnt bhangra, punjabi culture is the history of punjab, the language of punjab and the amazing stories of the people who lived in punjab. You wanna learn about punjabi culture learn about the raj of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, learn about Udham Singh. learn about the great poets and scholars who were from punjab, learn about bulleh shah or the invasion of Alexandra the great.

And whats with this whole "militant singh" concept u got going? I think most of punjabi music is garbage, i dont walk around with a freakin ak47 strapped around me.

As for dancing, there is one true way to dance, where you dance not for yourself, but in the defense of others.

Fateh.

the problem is younger people tend not to have grasped the whole concpet of sikhi, they thing because guru gobind singh ji gave us shaster and made us warriors that we can use these all the time. they thing that using bad language or intimidating others is okay aslong as they think its for religion. but thats not the case, these people of misguided, sikhi flourishes by showing love and compassion and leading by example, no one in the world has suceeded by forcing or oppressing someones views....alot of us lack this understanding

What you are doing is completly wrong.

You talk about singhs telling you what you're doing is wrong, and now you are finding people who support your manmat lifestyle? These so called Sikhs who just said what you're doing has nothing wrong with it are same like you, manmant pakandis.

You also seem to look like you have a lot of josh, I will break your dhol and use your sticks to play your head to match the lyrics to my latest kavishree brampton/malton singhs wrote.

You talk as if you are singing boliyan about sikhism and about the great shaheeds of sikhism. Why don't you type out with translations some of the boliyan you sing and play bhangra to? Maybe that will give us a better idea of what kinds of things come out of your mouth.

You ask everyone thinks you're doing good and are proud of you. Everyone looks the same once they are covered with mud.

and KFI, i didnt disrespect anyone on here, im not here to disrespect anyone...but if you disrespect the dhol again then god help u.

the dhol was used as a battle cry before our sardars went into battle...so never EVER disrespect the dhol again

they thing because guru gobind singh ji gave us shaster and made us warriors that we can use these all the time. they thing that using bad language or intimidating others is okay aslong as they think its for religion. but thats not the case, these people of misguided, sikhi flourishes by showing love and compassion and leading by example, no one in the world has suceeded by forcing or oppressing someones views....

Excellent points ParwinderSingh! This can never be said enough.

Guru Fateh

You talk about singhs telling you what you're doing is wrong, and now you are finding people who support your manmat lifestyle? These so called Sikhs who just said what you're doing has nothing wrong with it are same like you, manmant pakandis.

You also seem to look like you have a lot of josh, I will break your dhol and use your sticks to play your head to match the lyrics to my latest kavishree brampton/malton singhs wrote.

You talk as if you are singing boliyan about sikhism and about the great shaheeds of sikhism. Why don't you type out with translations some of the boliyan you sing and play bhangra to? Maybe that will give us a better idea of what kinds of things come out of your mouth.

You ask everyone thinks you're doing good and are proud of you. Everyone looks the same once they are covered with mud.

and KFI, i didnt disrespect anyone on here, im not here to disrespect anyone...but if you disrespect the dhol again then god help u.

the dhol was used as a battle cry before our sardars went into battle...so never EVER disrespect the dhol again

Listen singh, dont come on this forum making empty threats. Bhangra is your choice, but the culture that you talk about sometimes inteferes with sikhism or at least to attempt to and then this causes problems. So the singhs that say "this is not right" are warning you of something bigger. One day say for instance you enter a band, you become that band, that band have decided to do bhangra at a nagar keertan. What will you do, join them or desert them. It is these issues that the singhs are thinking. Singhs that tell you about it being wrong are only hoping you will ask them questions and discuss with them. More often thatn not you probably didnt probe you probably showeed signs of egotism that even i have noticed you do here.

Guest Glasgow Singh

Oi sardar ji, stop being a keyboard gangster, KFI, i like alot of your posts, but tell me - why get engaged with people who come onto this forum with their minds already setout on kicking up controversy.

Look at the pettiness of this, Sardar - u wish to go bang your drum about to dirty lyrics and have people jump about forgetting maharaj, tis your funeral mate, read your posts an tell me who the real militant is...

Listen singh, dont come on this forum making empty threats. Bhangra is your choice, but the culture that you talk about sometimes inteferes with sikhism or at least to attempt to and then this causes problems. So the singhs that say "this is not right" are warning you of something bigger. One day say for instance you enter a band, you become that band, that band have decided to do bhangra at a nagar keertan. What will you do, join them or desert them. It is these issues that the singhs are thinking. Singhs that tell you about it being wrong are only hoping you will ask them questions and discuss with them. More often thatn not you probably didnt probe you probably showeed signs of egotism that even i have noticed you do here.

Yaar...your views on the people im surrounded by are completely screwed up....who the hell in their right mind does bhangra at a nagar kirtan. and whats all this crap about my ego...i made this forum to find out why people thought what i do is wrong..that was the whole point of it. but when someone disgrespects an instrument of my culture than that isn't on.

saying:

that is completely disrespectfull...i dont need coments like that..like i said i want to understand why..not get cussed out by a yahoo.

buddhasingh
On this last note, people are aware that “militant” is a racially charged label. It is thrown around to oppress ALL Sikhs by those outside of Sikhi. To claim to be a Sikh, yet resort to a pejorative use of “militant” is utterly shameful uncle tommery

You actually have a good point in certain situations and expressions of prejudice. However, the term 'militant' is used with pride by some Sikhs -- just on this forum alone there are two people who have 'MILITANT' in their name and use it as a term of pride! So where do these people fit into this? Surely they must be the Uncle Toms who have absorbed the prejudice to such an extent that they bandy it about for themselves with some pride! Amazing. However in certain circumstances, like when KFI expresses his desire to carry out violence against those he disagrees with, I don't see what is innacurate or wrong with the term!

Guru Fateh

Prem,

You missed a simple point, yet managed to make unfounded leaps of logic.

In quoting my post, you left out the part reminding us that our guruji's could be described as "militant". As a Sikh, I am also militant if you wish. However, there is nothing wrong or uncle-tom-like here as the use is not PEJORATIVE. You will note that I said "resort to the PEJORATIVE use...". There is an unmistakable difference, i'm not sure how you can confuse the two.

For example, consider the difference between a black man talking to another black man with pride and playing on the word N*****R and someone else using it in the pejorative as an insult. Unmistakable difference!

If you wish to refer to KFIs means of communication, call him militant, 1. if he is carrying an AK47, 2. you are giving him a hug at the time, or 3. if his internet post is literally making you pi** your pants. However, for the purposes here, I am sure that you can put any of his inappropriate expressions in thier rightful place using the vocabulary you have at hand.

Thank you for your replies that has cleared up a lot for me.

lok geet is still around and always will be...as lok geet is just (as Baba Bulleh Shah said) "Words from the common tongue".

i dont see the new wave of "punjabis" having any relivane to punjabi culture...its all crap...the new modern songs, culture and attitude is a disgrace to everything that pnjabi culture stands for.

the punjabi culture iam talking about is pind life, doing the rounds on the keeth, drinkin lassi in the morning, driving the tracktor round the keeth. the life is a pind sardar, that part of culture.

Sdholi, keep your cool here bro. Even though, bhangra for the most part, I consider a caveman culture, I appreciate many types of music in their place. Some of these may be offensive to others. However, I still suggest you listen carefully to those who are suspect of what you are doing. They views are worthy of respect and reflection. It is likely difficult for many to grasp how a young person may participate in bolyan and dhol and not offend humanity like most of bhangra does.

It sounds like it's a message you are open to hearing, then good for you. If you have in the past sung about things that would be inappropriate as a Sikh or human being for that matter, it does not mean you can not develop as a person and artist.

As an artist, you are connecting through your medium to your audience. If your audience is making erroneous assumptions about what you are doing, then integrate a humble explanation into your performance.

Tell your audience before or after your performance that this is an issue that has arisen and tell them who you are and who you are not. If you have developed and learned and overcome a bhangra caveman past, tell them that.

ONE CRITICAL CAVEAT. If you are not prepared to have respect in your heart for the message from those you at one time called militant, then you are not prepared to do this. You must be very humble and very sincere and be prepared to have your art be consistent with your message. That means no b.s. whatsoever. If you turn out insincere, you will have even bigger problems.

Oi sardar ji, stop being a keyboard gangster, KFI, i like alot of your posts, but tell me - why get engaged with people who come onto this forum with their minds already setout on kicking up controversy.

Look at the pettiness of this, Sardar - u wish to go bang your drum about to dirty lyrics and have people jump about forgetting maharaj, tis your funeral mate, read your posts an tell me who the real militant is...

...lol singh ji i wish you've read the posts.. he's not supporting dirty lyrics or forgetting maharaaj. He didn''t want to create a controversy. He could've easily said something like "i hate khalistanis" etc if he wanted controversy.

and the comment about keyboard gangster.. no comment rolleyes.gif