What Is Lohri?

SikhSpeak

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Lohri Annoy's Me!!!

1) Sexism - This festival is blatant sexism, it celebrates ONLY the birth of a boy. Reiforces stereotype that people should have boys.

2) Insensitive - Causes peer pressure on women who do not have boy's or cannot have children. Comment's are often made at such event as "I hope God will bless you with a boy"........and to one childless couple "I hope you will have a child soon".

3) Sikh Relevance - what has this to do with Sikhism? Nothing.

4) Excuse to Drink - Most Lohri I have witnessed is just an excuse for proplr to drink (not that we need one).

5) Malice - some people use Lohri in a malicious manner to belittle others (usually without boys).

The Good Point's of Lohri

1) Cultural - Reminds us of a cultural heritage rior to Sikhism.

2) Enjoyment - Most people seem to enjoy themselves.

3) Historical - there are historical event's that are linked to Sikhism (that have been pointed out by others) involving Lohri.

I have heard a different story to lohri

Something along the lines of a rich king and queen in India were really religious pray.gif (sorry can’t remember what religion they followed) but they didn’t have any kids :sady: , after ages of praying for one they had a son. :) As a sign of happiness they gave out (seasame seeds and ghor) til wali rewadi and from then on the name has just developed – tillohri and now its lohri.

i dint no the rest of the stories I think every1 is confused about what was the original story???

anywayz aapa ki lehna!!

Isnt Lohri day the Actual Day the 40 Liberated ones became Liberated!? If that is so, then I believe it is a better reason to celebrate a great day and event than Lohri, should go Gurdwara and contemplate...I think there is supposed to be name for this day.

Am I chattin bob?!

The first day of magh, which is one day after the lohri day. On my SGPC calender, they call it Magh da Mela-Mukhtsar. Funny how we have forgotten that!!

well 40 singhs shahidi who wrote bedawa to guru sahib that ur not our guru and we are not ur sikhs didnt took place on first day of magh .... it was in summer season .... but its celebrated in magh .... reason was in older times there was lack of water in this area ... and in summer season this sarovar almost gets dried up so our forefather singhs decided to celebrate this day in winters ....

Isn't the actual lohri when a birth of a boy has taken place in the home you distribute rehriyan and mufali?

I just thought it was the Sikh new year. We had saag and mukhi di roti in the morning. Which has nothing to do with births.

Although I'm against ladoo vanding when a boy is born, but not when a girl is?

Anyway, does anybody even know why we celebrate it? It seems not. Guru Nanak Ji says, do not follow rituals blindly, find out what they mean.