Maharaj Jee's Saroop At Home...

Heera Singh

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

I jus wanted to kno everybodys thoughts towards having maharaj jee's saroop at home... I was discussin wit a singh, and he had da feelin dat sometimes he feels wrong for havin saroop in da house... reason bein 'cause sometimes we sit on da computer or watchin t.v., or have our friends over etc... and dat seems like disrespect, 'cause for example if Guru Gobind Singh Jee was sittin upstairs in our room, dere's no way we'd ever leave dat room... although they are an amritdharee family, and parkash n sukhaasan are done daily, as well as nitnem n stuff, he still feels dat dey probably don't deserve havin Saroop in da house, mostly 'cause dem nah spend too much time in the Baba Jee's room..

wha are peoples thoughts towards havin Saroop in da house?

n please keep da posts respectful and give your reasons behind ur thoughts..

Chardi Kalaa!!

I jus wanted to kno everybodys thoughts towards having maharaj jee's saroop at home... I was discussin wit a singh, and he had da feelin dat sometimes he feels wrong for havin saroop in da house... reason bein 'cause sometimes we sit on da computer or watchin t.v., or have our friends over etc... and dat seems like disrespect, 'cause for example if Guru Gobind Singh Jee was sittin upstairs in our room, dere's no way we'd ever leave dat room... although they are an amritdharee family, and parkash n sukhaasan are done daily, as well as nitnem n stuff, he still feels dat dey probably don't deserve havin Saroop in da house, mostly 'cause dem nah spend too much time in the Baba Jee's room..

wha are peoples thoughts towards havin Saroop in da house?

n please keep da posts respectful and give your reasons behind ur thoughts..

Chardi Kalaa!!

I understand what you are saying and have been thinking like that lately too. I was at someones house a few weeks ago and we were sitting in the lounge downstairs, chatting away. It was about 8 pm when the Singh (whose house we were in) turns around to me and said that he needed to do Maharaj's Sukhasan. I was pretty shocked, not to mention upset and angry with myself that if there is Guru Ji's parkash in this house, how come we don't act like we are in the Gurdwara Sahib.

Firstly the Singh, whose house it was, should have informed all guests that there is Guru jis Parkash in the house and secondly if Guru Ji's parkash is in someones house then there is no difference between being in a Gurdwara Sahib and entering that house. You wouldn't sit and watch TV all night in the Gurdwara or sleep on beds etc.

Looking after Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji's pavitar saroop is a BIG sewa and we should really think about our actions and protocol all the time!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Interesting points raised ...

Even when most people (including me) go to Gurudwara, we don't necessarily treat Maharaaj "Haazar-Naazar" all the time - only few Gursikhs with Kirpaa and Kamaiye can do this.

If people do have Maharaaj da Saroop at home, maybe they should make people who visit pay respects to Maharaaj everytime they enter the house?

I know a few families who have Maharaaj da Saroop at home, and they do so much seva and respect of Maharaaj and there's so much Bhagtee going on (especially compared to what paid Gyanees will do in a Gurudwara), that when you visit Maharaaj in their house, you can really feel Maharaaj's presence. The Shabad "Tan Man Ho-ae Nihaal, Ja Gur Dekha Saamnae" comes to mind.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguroo

Hmmm....

I'm wondering, if Guru Sahib wasn't in the house, we would go on chatting away and watching TV and all that, right?

But isn't Vaheguru always there? We don't think twice about that though.

Technically we are all walking gurduaras. Our bodies are the gurduaras, and our aim is to have Parkash of Guru Sahib wthin.

We respect so much the gurduaras that we have built, but we don't think twice aboout ignoring the gurduaras that Akal Purakh has built.

So even if there isn't a sarup of Guru Sahib at home, should we just pretend that Guru Sahib isn't there at all?

Hmmm....

I'm wondering, if Guru Sahib wasn't in the house, we would go on chatting away and watching TV and all that, right?

But isn't Vaheguru always there? We don't think twice about that though.

Technically we are all walking gurduaras. Our bodies are the gurduaras, and our aim is to have Parkash of Guru Sahib wthin.

We respect so much the gurduaras that we have built, but we don't think twice aboout ignoring the gurduaras that Akal Purakh has built.

So even if there isn't a sarup of Guru Sahib at home, should we just pretend that Guru Sahib isn't there at all?

Interesting. Some food for thought.

Hmm, this is an interesting topic.

I've been blessed enough to have Maharaj present in my house since I was born, and I can't imagine life without being able to see my Guru at 'leisure' - as bad as that sounds.

My father gets up at 3.30am and does Prakash and takes the Hukunama before anything (obviously after taking a shower.) We all pay our respects and do our 'little' bhagti before leaving the house in the morning, and then I do the evening Guru Sahib brajman, and Kirtan Sohila at night, during which time I place a blanket over Maharaj and make sure the temperature (etc) is right in the room.

Anyway, obviously we have our own separate room, but there's certain guidelines which we follow, and although we're not in the presence of Maharaj every-second of every-day, there’s a subliminal consciousness that lets your mind be there while you're downstairs or doing whatever.

Here are some simple guidelines which we (and all guests) follow...

1) A separate room is REQUIRED...

2) No meat, alcohol or any other intoxicants can enter the house at any time.

3) Before going downstairs/leaving the house, pay your respects to your Guru.

4) Before eating, wait until you've offered Maharaj your food first (bhog!)

5) Sewa HAS TO BE DONE at certain times... no flexibility, someone has to be home at a'X' time to do sewa.

Umm, as for the guests... we have people come over our house just to matha-dek all the time, which is great. But, then we also have friends who dont, and that’s understandable too.

Finally, lets not forget how the GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI is Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharajs body/soul (atma/sareer) and how our fifth NANAK himself used to sleep on the floor and do SEWA of Guru Ji on his bed.

• 4 weeks later...

bigs ups to Heera Singh fo startn dis thread.. i remeber talkin about dis wit u a while ago before i went to india (but i know it wasn't because of ma comments dat u started it).. jus wanna say dat i feel madd guilty n stuff too wit mahraj in the house, especially wit all the "non-sikhs" in the house

no one else buh maself n ma grandfather are inta sikhi (both at our respective levels)..with guru's kirpa im the only amritdhari in the house, so with everyone else there is meat eating downstairs..i actually tried giving maharaj back to the gurughar enuff tymez, but something keeps going wrong whenever i try

i feel that maharaj should only be kept in the gurwara... this way more sangat comes and more pyaar is there.. it makes guru granth sahib ji actually look and seem like a guru.. no beadbi happens this way and anyone who wants maharaj's darshan just goes to a gurughar and visits him

this is instead of every second house having maharaj saroop.. this way sangat, keertans, akhand paaths etc all get split up and sangatan get split up.. so there is less ronak at guru ghar.. mississauga gurughar gets 100 people/sangat a week if dey get lucky whereas dixie gurughar gets 100+ a day.. from wut i noticed is dat the peeps who aint inta sikhi and are far from it have mahraj saroop in dere house, but the real gurmukhs don't... from wut i've noticed is that da real gursikhs go to gurusahib's home, gurughar to do bhagti cuz if dat were guru gobind singh ji, u wuldnt make him come to ur house to learn from him.. u wuld go to him..

i noticed that most upperclass people less into sikhi are in sauga, dey have maharaj parkash and say we dont need to go to gurughar, we have guru sahib our house, so our house is a gurughar.. but then when u say cover ur head ur in a gurughar, or take out the meat ur ina gurughar or dont drink or swear ur in a gurughar, they say dont take it literally. be practical ur not in a gurdwara..

so i mean thats just ma opinion.. the less mahraj saroops that are printed the better .. this keeps the sanctity of maharaj.. i personally think maharaj saroops should be made of real gold (i've seen a pure 24K gold maharaj saroop in india) its AMAZING ....the akhars n everything are in gold

its so amazing.. it really seems like yurr lookin at sumfin special... i think all saroops should be dis way, plus its really expensive whereas in canada u can get a saroop for free or in india starting at like 100 rupees, which is a really cheap price to put on ur "guru" i wud say...

dis is gettn kinda long, ma bad..

vaheguru

from wut i noticed is dat the peeps who aint inta sikhi and are far from it have mahraj saroop in dere house, but the real gurmukhs don't... from wut i've noticed is that da real gursikhs go to gurusahib's home, gurughar to do bhagti cuz if dat were guru gobind singh ji, u wuldnt make him come to ur house to learn from him.. u wuld go to him..

i noticed that most upperclass people less into sikhi are in sauga, dey have maharaj parkash and say we dont need to go to gurughar, we have guru sahib our house, so our house is a gurughar.. but then when u say cover ur head ur in a gurughar, or take out the meat ur ina gurughar or dont drink or swear ur in a gurughar, they say dont take it literally. be practical ur not in a gurdwara..

interestin comments..

i'd have to disagree on da part where u said 'only peepz dat aint into sikhi' keep saroop at home... i kno many GURSIKH families who have Guru Jee at dem homes, and keep fulll respect and live gursikh lives demselves... buh dat bein said, we ARE seein more and more families havin saroop at home... maybe peepz are gettin too lazy to go to gurdwara? .. i dunno.. dat mite be one reason.. buh there are some genuine people who have guru jee at home because they WANT guru jee at home.. they want to read bani, and progress in their sikhi... they WANT to do their sehaj paath at home and do contemplation of bani..

as for da meat/alcohol issue... we had dat issue at our house a while back where sum1 in da famz was bringin dat crap into da house... caused a LOT of rukus to say da least... it basically came down to mi tellin mi momz either to tell dat individual to stop bringin dat nonsense, or I leave n tek Guru Sahib wit mi... now obviously da's nah an option for many people, and i's not sumtin i'd recommend everybody to do... buh, dere are options to take when dis kinda stuff happens... talkin wit da famz wud be one.. and if u REALLY feel i's disrespect, takin maharaj jee's saroop to da gurdwara mite jus be da right option for u..

as for callin (punjabi) people 'non-sikhs', i tink wi shud refrain from labellin others.. 'cause wi nobody to label nebody else.. da's for Guru Sahib to decide...

sorry, i meant (i know) more people who aren't into sikhi that keep maharaj's saroop at home than the gursikhs who you mentioned that actually want to progress their sikhi.. i been to nuff peoplez house dat i feel like im in a gurughar, the vibes are mazing.. feel like want'n to do simran all da time, but those nuff people are 1% of the amount of other people that keep maharaj's saroop at home

im jus tryn ta say that look, gursikhs know their duties and responsibilites and they go to the gurughar besides the fact that guru sahib is at home, they dun make nun excuse seyn we have guru sahib at home so theres no need for going to a gurdwara..

i was tryn to say that the "not so into it sikhs" tend to make excuses that guru sahib is at home(although they dont even bother to take advantage of that) so we dont need to go to the gurdwara. they only go on fancy occassions where dey get all dressed up like dey hittn up sum jam o sumfin (gurpurb, new years etc)

my view may be different furm errywun else's, i dun wanna offend anyone.. i used to be one of those "not so into it sikhs" myself so i know that errywun is on their own path, and sooner or later maharaj will bless dem wit kirpa, its a matter o time. im just stating things that i have noticed from different friends/families' houses

i beleive if we kept maharaj just to the gurdwara, the respect, sanctity and everything can be kept properly, no doubt.. plus the more sangat the better. it can always add to the laha.. it just makes guru jee look more like a guru cuz if wherever we go we see Maharaj da saroop, to some it becomes a joke n they loose the "russ" or "excitement" or iunno how to phrase this of meeting their guru.. if we really treated maharaj like a guru then everyone wuld be quiet and listening to keertan in the darbar hall.. no stupidness wud happen in gurughars.. buh if we have a maharaj tha saroop being a big joke, everyone having one, then where's the sanctity of maharaj..

its not like one can sit with maharaj in guru sahib's room at home for the entire day, i mean come on Guru Nanak Dev Ji is sitting upstairs, wut r u doing watching tv... thats wut i mean.. jus keep mahraj at a gurdwara n maharaj just seems more like a guru.. n for me one of my biggest problems and i know its for a lot of people... its truly believing and ur heart taking Guru Granth Sahib Ji as ur guru and really being about to give ur head for ur guru, really being able to cry to ur guru, talk to ur guru about everything and anything in life.. one of the hardest things in sikhi for anyone is to really from the heart believe guru granth sahib to be guru, act in front of Guru Granth Sahib Ji as u wuld in front of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, i know i don't...

srry for offending anyone.. (im kinda a hypocrite cuz i have maharaj da saroop at home) but im looking a the big picture of the whole panth, n its not only my decision.. i can't imagine a day without seeing my guru whenever i feel like it, but then again do i really take Maharaj as my guru?