Guruji's Dastar

Gurfetah!

Sangat jio, just a little experience I would like to share...

The other day I was walking through town after work. As it was 5.30pm town was busy with plenty of people walking about as usual.

I had my ipod on full blast so was in my own world until I noticed an old asian women who looked very distraught rushing towards me in the far distance (I say asian because I really could not tell religion she was). She stood in front of me and told me that she had lost her purse and has no money for her bus fair back home.

I told her not to worry and gave her the money she needed for her bus fair. She thanked me like a hundred times and said things like "may God bless you with a loving husband" (lol) and even offered to come to my house to pay me back.

Anyway, the point is that there where plenty of different people walking around including Indians but I obviously stood out from the crowd for all the right reasons. From everyone - in an instance she chose to ask help from the person wearing a dastar.

Just goes to show how much pyaar and compassion all our Singhs and Singhnees have lived in the past. That's why there are people from other different faiths who hold so much respect and trust in people who wear dastars.

I think each one of us who is blessed with wearing Guruji's dastar needs to always remember that we are representing him and Sikhi. Be the first to smile at people. Be the first to ask someone how they are. Be the first to offer help to people. Be respectful to people. Never give a reason for anyone to think bad of a Sikh. If the going ever does get tough...just hold your head up high and stay in Chardi Kaala. :TH:

Sorry if I said anything wrong.

spot on penji!

i love the fact im easily spotted in a crowd, and love it when i get comments like 'you look like a princess' - ok they mite be cheesy comments lol rolleyes.gif . but im soo grateful tht mahraj has dun kirpaa on his sikhs, they are unique and distinct.

may mahraj bless all his sikhs with naam di daat.

vahiguroooo!!!

Guest Narinder Singh

Very true panji, I myself have had similar experiences. The most recent was an old white lady who needed her flat tire replaced, she could've easily asked all the people around her but she spotted me from far away and went out of her way to ask me.

Guru Sahib has blessed us with such a beautiful roop, its Akal Purakhs roop, no wonder so many people know they can rely on Sikhs for help.

Fateh.

Gurfetah!

Sangat jio, just a little experience I would like to share...

The other day I was walking through town after work. As it was 5.30pm town was busy with plenty of people walking about as usual.

I had my ipod on full blast so was in my own world until I noticed an old asian women who looked very distraught rushing towards me in the far distance (I say asian because I really could not tell religion she was). She stood in front of me and told me that she had lost her purse and has no money for her bus fair back home.

I told her not to worry and gave her the money she needed for her bus fair. She thanked me like a hundred times and said things like "may God bless you with a loving husband" (lol) and even offered to come to my house to pay me back.

Anyway, the point is that there where plenty of different people walking around including Indians but I obviously stood out from the crowd for all the right reasons. From everyone - in an instance she chose to ask help from the person wearing a dastar.

Just goes to show how much pyaar and compassion all our Singhs and Singhnees have lived in the past. That's why there are people from other different faiths who hold so much respect and trust in people who wear dastars.

I think each one of us who is blessed with wearing Guruji's dastar needs to always remember that we are representing him and Sikhi. Be the first to smile at people. Be the first to ask someone how they are. Be the first to offer help to people. Be respectful to people. Never give a reason for anyone to think bad of a Sikh. If the going ever does get tough...just hold your head up high and stay in Chardi Kaala. :TH:

Sorry if I said anything wrong.

d_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gif

"For men and women alike, this projective identity conveys royalty, grace, and uniqueness. It is a signal to others that we live in the image of Akal Purakh and are dedicated to serving all. The turban doesn't represent anything except complete commitment. When you choose to stand out by tying your turban, you stand fearlessly as one single person standing out from six billion people. It is a most outstanding act. The turban on a physical level protects our Kesh, covers our head (and dasam duaar, spiritual gate on top of head) and creates a physical reminder to oneself and the world of who's son and daughter you are and how you live an admirable and chardikala way of life."

take from Manvir Singh's blogspot http://manvirsingh.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_archive.html

I

think each one of us who is blessed with wearing Guruji's dastar needs to always remember that we are representing him and Sikhi. Be the first to smile at people. Be the first to ask someone how they are. Be the first to offer help to people. Be respectful to people. Never give a reason for anyone to think bad of a Sikh. If the going ever does get tough...just hold your head up high and stay in Chardi Kaala.

awww, this brought a smile to my face. It's so true! Before I kept my kesh, I could push in queues, not bother to hold doors open etc!!, but now I have responsibility from the dastaar on my head to try and act as best as possible to be a Sikh of my Guru.

just the other day i was walking around skool (n i am quite noticable coz i tigh a reli tall dhurmalla) and a song popped up into my head!!! it was a very old song (hip hop) by dr dre, iv 4gt wat its called now, but there's this 1 line where he says

"representing all the gangsters across the world!"

n i sang it in my mind as

"representing all the Sikhs across the world!!" lol LOL.gif:)LOL.gif

its so beautiful wat Guru Ji's Dastaar dus for u!!

This is the roop that mahraaj has given to us. its just so important that when we are in the outside world we try to hold up the reputation of it. its so easy to give a bad name to sikhs. I think even simple things such as trying to have daya in our actions is so important. holding doors open for people, being redy to serve others, let people remember that, that was a sikh person that treated me that good, so next time they c Gursikhs, they know they are there for humanity. this is parchaar in itself. i never used to realise the value of dastaar and sikhi roop when first come into sikhi, but as times gone by, i c it is such an important factor and plays big role when in normal society.