Bhagat Puran Singh Jee

sall

Waheguru Je Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

I was given a book on Bhagat Jee "Garland around my neck " as a gift and recently had the chance to read it, I recommend it highly, to learn of who he was and his mission in life. As we lead busy lives in this age it's hard for one to find time and patience to read books, and it's because of that I thought I would share something out of the book. I was overwhelmed and never knew of Puran Jees' sacrifices even though my father used to send donations to Pinglwara , I never really questioned and learned about it till now,reading this book bought tears many a time , it’s remarkable and unbelievable how a man who had no one nothing from family apart from the love of his mother and his love for Guru Jee , of what he achieved in life and as we goto Siri Darbar Sahib his message is a content reminder and will stay that way for years to come for the sangat. Puran Singh Jee was a great visionary in his time and at his time more than 50 odd years ago he mentioned seven great dangers which he thought India faces::

1.Combination of soil erosin,destruction of humus, leaching out of minerals from soil, increasing overpopulation. This combination if not checked, can result in far greater starvation than has yet been experienced.

2. Violence, was and civil strife, physical violence through economic,political,social or religious oppression.

3.Grossly unequal distribution of power as between classes, castes, groups and individuals, between city and the countryside.

4. Overemphasis on size in organisations especially in the realms of politcs,finance,industry and commerce.

5. Failure, especially among leaders to realise that in every realm of activity the means chosen to reach an end must be consistent with the end desired.

6.The prevalent notion amongst the elite that government or corporations o other large organisations need not obey moral laws recognised as applicable to individuals and others.

7. The loss of faith among leaders and university-educated people in the existence and power of spirituality.

Bhagat Puran Singh Jee's view on Physical fitness:

" It's not good to lead an idle life. A person can remain healthy only if he is physically active. All humans must walk at least 8 miles a day otherwise they will become victims of high blood pressure,diabetes,arthiritis,pain in the knees, joint pain and other ailments"

Bhagat Puran Jee's favourite verses from Guru Granth Sahib Jee::

If one lives in a broken tenement, in tatters and has neither caste nor status, and wanders alone in the wilderness

Has neither has friends nor a beloved, nor beauty, nor riches, nor relatives to lean on

He indeed is the king of the universe if his mind is imbued with the lord's name.

One is saved by the dust of the his feet, because the lord is please with him. Guru Grant Sahib JeePanna 707

Says Farid, if you long for the lord you should be like straw on the floor

Torn by one and trod by another only then does one arrive at his door. Guru Grant Sahib Jee Panna 1378

He who has enshrined the name in his heart he who see the lord in every part

He who remembers the master with every breath says Nanak, such a recluse saves the rest. Guru Granth Sahib P.274

Only by becoming totally detached , and not through mere verbal jargon, can one become a true disciple.

One can be such a person only by standing up for truth and by over coming delusions and fears.

The true disciple is ever busy in the service of the master. He forgoes hunger,sleep,food and rest.

He grinds fresh flour for the free kitchen and fetches water for it as well.

He fans the congregation and washes the feet of the guru.

He serves with discipline and is neither woebegone no flippant.

Only thus can he become devotee at eh door of the lord and get blessed by the shower of love

He will be seen as the first moon of id,and will emerge a perfect man Bhai Gurdass // 3 Pauri 18

The above was taken from the book "Garland aorund my neck" The story of Puran Singh of Pingalwara by Patwant Singh and Harinder Kaur Sejhon

Waheguru Je Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

I was given a book on Bhagat Jee "Garland around my neck " as a gift and recently had the chance to read it, I recommend it highly, to learn of who he was and his mission in life. As we lead busy lives in this age it's hard for one to find time and patience to read books, and it's because of that I thought I would share something out of the book. I was overwhelmed and never knew of Puran Jees' sacrifices even though my father used to send donations to Pinglwara , I never really questioned and learned about it till now,reading this book bought tears many a time , it’s remarkable and unbelievable how a man who had no one nothing from family apart from the love of his mother and his love for Guru Jee , of what he achieved in life and as we goto Siri Darbar Sahib his message is a content reminder and will stay that way for years to come for the sangat. Puran Singh Jee was a great visionary in his time and at his time more than 50 odd years ago he mentioned seven great dangers which he thought India faces::

1.Combination of soil erosin,destruction of humus, leaching out of minerals from soil, increasing overpopulation. This combination if not checked, can result in far greater starvation than has yet been experienced.

2. Violence, was and civil strife, physical violence through economic,political,social or religious oppression.

3.Grossly unequal distribution of power as between classes, castes, groups and individuals, between city and the countryside.

4. Overemphasis on size in organisations especially in the realms of politcs,finance,industry and commerce.

5. Failure, especially among leaders to realise that in every realm of activity the means chosen to reach an end must be consistent with the end desired.

6.The prevalent notion amongst the elite that government or corporations o other large organisations need not obey moral laws recognised as applicable to individuals and others.

7. The loss of faith among leaders and university-educated people in the existence and power of spirituality.

Bhagat Puran Singh Jee's view on Physical fitness:

" It's not good to lead an idle life. A person can remain healthy only if he is physically active. All humans must walk at least 8 miles a day otherwise they will become victims of high blood pressure,diabetes,arthiritis,pain in the knees, joint pain and other ailments"

Bhagat Puran Jee's favourite verses from Guru Granth Sahib Jee::

If one lives in a broken tenement, in tatters and has neither caste nor status, and wanders alone in the wilderness

Has neither has friends nor a beloved, nor beauty, nor riches, nor relatives to lean on

He indeed is the king of the universe if his mind is imbued with the lord's name.

One is saved by the dust of the his feet, because the lord is please with him. Guru Grant Sahib JeePanna 707

Says Farid, if you long for the lord you should be like straw on the floor

Torn by one and trod by another only then does one arrive at his door. Guru Grant Sahib Jee Panna 1378

He who has enshrined the name in his heart he who see the lord in every part

He who remembers the master with every breath says Nanak, such a recluse saves the rest. Guru Granth Sahib P.274

Only by becoming totally detached , and not through mere verbal jargon, can one become a true disciple.

One can be such a person only by standing up for truth and by over coming delusions and fears.

The true disciple is ever busy in the service of the master. He forgoes hunger,sleep,food and rest.

He grinds fresh flour for the free kitchen and fetches water for it as well.

He fans the congregation and washes the feet of the guru.

He serves with discipline and is neither woebegone no flippant.

Only thus can he become devotee at eh door of the lord and get blessed by the shower of love

He will be seen as the first moon of id,and will emerge a perfect man Bhai Gurdass // 3 Pauri 18

The above was taken from the book "Garland aorund my neck" The story of Puran Singh of Pingalwara by Patwant Singh and Harinder Kaur Sejhon

A true Bhagat and a Saint. I regularly send money to Pingalwara. The ONLY charity I support.

Bhagat Puran Singh is not to be confused with Puran Singh Dhanjal (of Big Gurudwara's on Soho Road fame and GNSSJ)................these two men are miles apart.

ok make sense, I thought it was Puran Singh Kericholwalay, how come they wide apart? I thought they were the same person, my bad!

Read the story of Bhagat Puran Singh and Puran Singh Dhanjal (GNSSJ)....................you will seee for yourself why they are miles apart in everyway.

For me Bhaghat Puran Singh is a true modern Sikh hero.........there are very few of these. He is not interested in Jathas, Dera's or anything. Just helping people.....disabled poor etc.

ok make sense, I thought it was Puran Singh Kericholwalay, how come they wide apart? I thought they were the same person, my bad!

Read the story of Bhagat Puran Singh and Puran Singh Dhanjal (GNSSJ)....................you will seee for yourself why they are miles apart in everyway.

For me Bhaghat Puran Singh is a true modern Sikh hero.........there are very few of these. He is not interested in Jathas, Dera's or anything. Just helping people.....disabled poor etc.

I have read the story of Baba Kerichwal waley! I have even seen him, but I got confused with the two.

I think there isnt anything wrong with having a jatha, but against a dera. Jatha can be all the sikhs aka Panth who helps the needy etc. Dera is like your own gurdwara and a sect? no?

However saying this, there any many divisions in sikhism now, so many its unbelievable and where have they started from. Ah well each to their own.

Bhagat Puran Singh is my role model !!!

We owe him a lot !!!

thank you for the book!(funny how whenever we meet u always buy me a book and the weird thing is i always finish those books with in three days of getting um! being "superstitious": i should always have u buy me books that way they dont jus sit in my room nd collect dust tongue.gif )