How To Celebrate A Birthday Function The Gursikhi Way

jasmeet86

It's not necessarily a little kid, they didn't state that. Some people enjoy a lot of keertan! I'm not saying full fledged International, but a local one. My sister had one on her 16th birthday.. it's just a suggestion, since we are discussing the Sikhi related aspects. Nothing wrong with taking them out to a theme park or arcade as well, or even a movie. We usually have home-made cake as well. :)

ok i dont wanna ruin it lol (but u know i will lol) but i was listenin to a katha by Giani Sant Singh Ji Maskeen one time and they were talking about birthdays - how like when we fix the cake and we put candles and that up - we have bache blow the candles out....blowing the light out....i duno lol he was going proper in depth about how we blowing the bhuthee of that bache's din diyara out...its like SOME ghoreh do the whole blow the candles thing out but in our Dharm - in the olden jmanah we didnt used to have cakes and candles and wuteva...i duno if i made a point in this speech or not...but am sure someone here must'v heard that talk by Sant Ji...

so bascially it is jus that do a Akand Path etc...

well ive seen one gursikh family that i know, whoeva is having birthday; he/she will go to gurd 1st thing in the morn.. do sukhmani sahib there // go about doin their work after that.. in the evening they will have kirtan prog at home :) ... and after the kirtan.. they will have ardaas.. and den the cake will be cut during the ardaas (wif kirpan - no blowing candles) and at the end they will have langar after the ardaas.. u can have that all at home.. frankly speaking its reali awesome :)

Really, celebration of one's birthday is a bit egotistical. However, you can use it an excuse to express love for Waheguru. A bit like using Valentine's day to express love for your wife even though you love her all year round. So in other words, it's a bad idea that you can turn into a good.