Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

SaRpAnCh

He is singing Gods praises in whatever way he feels is correct, just ‘cus you don’t like the clapping it doesn’t take anything away from what he is singing, its all about the message at the end of the day.

You, I or anyone else can’t say how much pyaar or dedication he is singing with so why not listen to it if it works for you or don’t if it doesn’t. We all don’t have to like the same stuff you know –someone may like raag whereas another may not, I may like simple tunes whereas you may not.. Get the idea..

lol i agree

hey u know what i think this whole "debate" started becuase i 'bad-mouthed' this Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - so am sorry ok i was jus sharin my thoughts on him thats all :TH:

that is probly one of the nicest things to be shown nowadays. a muslim marasi singing devotional songs about god in a gurudwara with everyone appreciating it...why doesnt that happen nowaydays. Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan...one of the greatest Qwalls of all time.

And the whole thing about clapping...In qawalli clapping is the way of showing devotion to god. so if thats the qwall way of showing devotion..whats rong with it? nothing...

We use tabla,dholki etc to connect to the gurus word...doesn't that come under "code of conduct"?? does that distract us?

He used clapping for the same purpose.

If hindus also do clapping ...does that automatically make it wrong? I don't understand the logic?

Only one thing counts....and that is devotion and love. It doesn't matter whether u dance or clap.

Bulle shah says:

Dil wich taan ishq di wajdee..te nallee wajdi khanjri ee,

Asan nach ke yaar mana lena, bhanvee lok kehan bhherri kanjari ee.

Guest Hardeep_S_Khalsa

The only way you can show dovotion to god is through naam, by seeking the Guru's guidence. Do you even see hazoori raagis at Harmander Sahib clapping or even the sangat? If they did, they would get stopped. Yes it is good hearing blessed individuals singing guru's praises!!

Blessed are those d_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gif

The only way you can show dovotion to god is through naam, by seeking the Guru's guidence. Do you even see hazoori raagis at Harmander Sahib clapping or even the sangat? If they did, they would get stopped. Yes it is good hearing blessed individuals singing guru's praises!!

Blessed are those d_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gif

who said that showing god devotion was only through naam, seva is another way, therefore there are many ways in which we can show our devotion to god. Guru Nanak Dev Ji said taught us to reach god by what ever means possible (by that i mean logical means) therefore if clapping is wrong then so is singing and music!

Singh veerji,

saying that harmandir sahib should be the rolemodel is a load of BS...i'm sorry to say it but it needs to be said...

why?

cuz i can show you more than several ways that the maryada of harmandir sahib is NOT in accordance with guru sahib's sikhi...

i dont' even have to list them here...i'm sure you are knowledgeable and know this also...

but maybe then you agree and would be happy if your bhens were barred from doing kirtan in all gurdwaras...

and its nt like these guys are clapping out of control...it's just part of their parampara of how they sing in the qwalli style...see absolutely nothing wrong with it...unless it is written anywhere in guru granth sahib, dasam granth that any type of clapping in guru sahib's hazoori is wrong.

the Rehit as written is one thing, but even the rehit must be subjected to the teachings of Guru sahib... to see if it is parvaaan.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

... and in addition to what jss just said, the clapping is done not as appreciation, but rather as a percussion instrument. It serves the same purpose as a tabla, providing beat. Its the same with singing, singing is wrong as "satgur bina hor kachee hai bani" but our gurus still say "gavoh sachee bani".

If the clapping is done to support the sachee bani, it remains pure also. There are never absolutes in sikhi. And of course, turn to Bhagat NaamDev Jee's recital of Prahlaad:

sa(n)ddaa marakaa jaae pukaarae ||

Sanda and Marka went and complained to Harnaakhash,

parrai nehee ham hee pach haarae ||

"Your son does not read his lessons. We are tired of trying to teach him.

raam kehai kar thaal bajaavai chatteeaa sabhai bigaarae ||1||

He chants the Lord's Name, clapping his hands to keep the beat; he has spoiled all the other students. ||1||

raam naamaa japibo karai ||

He chants the Lord's Name,

hiradhai har jee ko simaran dhharai ||1|| rehaao ||

and he has enshrined meditative remembrance of the Lord within his heart.""||1||Pause||

Clapping, dancing, heavy body movements etc etc are not allowed. The true maryada that should play role model in every gurdwara sahib and raenshabey is of Kirtan style of harmander sahib.

Fact that muslims were allowed to do kirtan at Harmandir sahib itself throws the vary arguement of current maryada out of the window, ferengi/sharia/katar panthi/tat khalsa ideology alone within sikhism have done more damage than RSS/BJP/Congress to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji maharaj beautiful garden(Khalsa Panth).

There was a reason Guru Nanak Dev Ji put his feet towards Mecca (it is forbidden), and there was a reason why he went to Baghdad and played the rabab (music was strictly forbidden). It was to show the religious hypocrisy that had crept into the system.

Few hundred years later, are we Sikhs any less hypocrite.........?????

Samjhan wale aap samjhan.............