Any Psychologist Around Here

njjassa

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh...... i was kinda curious if theres any pyschologist around here coz i wanted to know does he/she any sort of relation between sikhism and psychology ?? or they really contradict to each other anythin like tht????

I am doing psychology.

I think some aspects of Social psychology are related to sikhism such as obedience to authority (how gursikhs obeyed the guru's), minority influence (how sikhs were a minority and this still had a profound effect on the large moghul army). That's all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure there is lots more.

^ good points.

i was just thinking about attachment, and how we're supposed to be detached from the world in sikhi.

but in psychology we were told if a child doesn't have that initial bond with their primary caregiver theyll have some form of an insecure attachment, so that would mess them up for life coz they wouldn't have a secure base for future relationships etc. not sure how this all fits in and whether it clashes with sikhi or not...

I took Psych 1 last year {high school tongue.gif } so I'm sure I can't contribute much, but anon ji, I love what you brought up, because if you think about it.. if we don't have a secure bond with Guru Ji as children, our faith will be weak or even nonexistent as we grow older. This could lead to one of two things, basically - which also occurs when children don't develop a secure bond with their parents.

Either we could stray off the path completely and never return to it, lost and wandering for the entirety of our lives, or suffer through much pain, heartbreak, and confusion and end up back on it, struggling to strengthen a faith initiated very late in life.

my half cent :)

bhullchukmaaf

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh...... i was kinda curious if theres any pyschologist around here coz i wanted to know does he/she any sort of relation between sikhism and psychology ?? or they really contradict to each other anythin like tht????

why dont u find out by urself? jus messin!lol

u will find both contradictions and similarities. like anon said "there are loads of different fields of psychology."

the thing to remember is that psychologists aren't sure about everything, and there is still lot of research going on about everything that psychology (science in other words) talks and doesn't talk about (yet)!

u can go into spirituality. they have a branch for that now. psychologists do many things...so go for it!

just google for spiritual psychology and counseling!

everything we study these days are interconnected (mind, body and soul kinda thing;mind=psyc, body=bio/med, soul=religion which now these days kinda has taken different name. lets call it spirituality etc)

hope this doesn't confuse u blush.gif but its a great field.

if there are contradictions dont stress over um! u dont have to agree with everything science and other things we study say! its not the perfect truth=)

bhul chuk muaff karni

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

^ good points.

i was just thinking about attachment, and how we're supposed to be detached from the world in sikhi.

but in psychology we were told if a child doesn't have that initial bond with their primary caregiver theyll have some form of an insecure attachment, so that would mess them up for life coz they wouldn't have a secure base for future relationships etc. not sure how this all fits in and whether it clashes with sikhi or not...

I personally don't think that's related to sikhi much. Obviously you can form an attachment (with god?) but some research is conclusive. This is more to do with forming an attachment with human beings and primary caregivers.

Maybe kaam, krodh, lobh, moh and ahankaar mess up your attachment with god.

IK ONG KAR SATGUR PARSAD!

Hey friend... what do you feel?

Though I am not a psychologist.. still I feel that there is a connection between the subconscious mind and everything around you..