Technical Terms Used In Gurbani

Ghar actually has nothing to do with taal.

i've read it does :umm:

if not then what does it mean :cool:

Its based on the shadaj grahm moorchana system, the system of notation that was used before the current saptak scale of indian classical music.

Confused yet?

Ghar refers to the 22 notes of this system....GuruSahib uses 17 of these 22. When there is a ghar at the title of a shabad, it means that just within that shabad, the raag with have a slight variation...meaning that its vadi (most important note) will no longer have the most priority. Instead, the ghar note will have more priority. Therefore, the ghar system in Guru Granth Sahib introduces a variation of the raag in order to render the correct mood in accordance to the message of the particular shabad.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Its based on the shadaj grahm moorchana system, the system of notation that was used before the current saptak scale of indian classical music.

Confused yet?

Ghar refers to the 22 notes of this system....GuruSahib uses 17 of these 22. When there is a ghar at the title of a shabad, it means that just within that shabad, the raag with have a slight variation...meaning that its vadi (most important note) will no longer have the most priority. Instead, the ghar note will have more priority. Therefore, the ghar system in Guru Granth Sahib introduces a variation of the raag in order to render the correct mood in accordance to the message of the particular shabad.

correct answer. Can the poster please correct the post as this is incorect information being given, especially to those who are new to these terms. Lets eliminate misunderstandings not create them.

Confused yet?

correct answer. Can the poster please correct the post as this is incorect information being given, especially to those who are new to these terms. Lets eliminate misunderstandings not create them.

Thanks for writing these veechar on ghar. Veer gurmat sangeet jee or the other veer/bhen jee's who wrote this, could you please give me some referances so I can read up more on your understanding of Ghar. Ive never come across this interpretation of Ghar. Is this claimed by all bidwaans of gurmat sangeet? like Is there a consensus? All Gurmat sangeets books ive read have not made this point. If you could send me your sources, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Thanks for writing these veechar on ghar. Veer gurmat sangeet jee or the other veer/bhen jee's who wrote this, could you please give me some referances so I can read up more on your understanding of Ghar. Ive never come across this interpretation of Ghar. Is this claimed by all bidwaans of gurmat sangeet? like Is there a consensus? All Gurmat sangeets books ive read have not made this point. If you could send me your sources, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Give me some time to gather my sources and i will definitly get back to you.

A few more points.

Chnth or Chunt in gurbani as stated is a six lined verse. In gurmat Sangeet it is IMPERATIVE that the whole shabad is sung all in one go i.e. there is no asthaee, so for example you sing the first line as your asthaee then you sing the rest of the shabad after each line you cannot go back to the first line.

The rahao line as stated is correct, where its the central focus of the shabad and we must use it as the asthaee, because what we do nowadays is grab any line of the shabad and use it as the asthaee, when in fact what were doing is for example singing the answer before the question which makes no gramatical sence and alters the structure of gurbani.