Jaap Sahib

Vaheguru Ji ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I noticed that in the DDT Gutkas and SGPC Gutkas there seem to be quite a few differences in the Jaap Sahib bani. these are mainy in the Bhagwat Shand Tavparsaad kathtay the SGPC gutka has ਜ with a bindhi at the bottom (sounds like Z) whereas the DDT on has a normal ਜ (sounds like J) E.g. "ke Roji Rahakay" and Ke Rozi Rahakay".

I know that Jaap Sahib is in farsi (persian). does anyone no more about this topic? i dont wanna hear answers like "DDT is Right and SGPC is wrong " or SGPC is Right and DDT is wrong"

but what do handwritten copies of Jaap Sahib say? Bindhis or not?

Vaheguru Ji ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DDT gutka sahibs have bani written like it is written from puratan saroops, except in rehraas sahib they add a couple more paureeyan in Chaupaii Sahib.. SGPC gutke sahibs are modified to how we say it today, you'll probabaly hear most people from sgpc or like people who haven't gotten proper santhiya done say that pauree that ur talking about with z but it should be sed with a j, when u take santhiya you'll realize how big a difference it really makes in the pronounciation cuz the meaning changes

i would suggest using Damdami Taksal Gutke sahibs cuz the bani is more shud, but in the end it is up to u

well in rehras puratan mareyada of taksal is that they have added dasam guru granths banni after the chaupai sahib ... and same bani is also found in nitname gutka of sri guru gobind singh sahib ....

In spoken panjabi there is no letter Z, however in the written langwij there is. the letter j with the bindi is still spoken as j. panjabi only has 35 letters, whereas the persian script has 52, including 4 variants of Z.

To us panjabi speakers we replace the Z wiv a J, instead of zulm, we say julm etc. However becuz Jaap Sahib conatains a lot of langwidges, the word rozi for example is persian but in panjabi we say roji, as it is read in panjabi.if we read it in persian script we would say rozi.

this is one of the reasons that punjabi is sometimes called a lower language ie peasant langwij. So wiv us not using the bindi under the J when saying it the sgpc have probably not even bothered to use it.

persian word panjabi word english meaning

zigra jigra dont lose heart

pez pej screw

zarab jarab socks

zameen jameen earth

zor jor strength

zanani janani female

zabat jabat confiscated

zubaan jubaan tongue

darwaza darwaja gate

tazarba tajarba experience

there are so many words. hope this helps and if me is wrong plz correct me.

SGPC gutke sahibs are modified to how we say it today, you'll probabaly hear most people from sgpc or like people who haven't gotten proper santhiya done say that pauree that ur talking about with z but it should be sed with a j, when u take santhiya you'll realize how big a difference it really makes in the pronounciation cuz the meaning changes

so lets say in about 20 -30 years supposingly the panjabi community start to say words a bit differently, does that mean the sgpc will change the gutka sahibs again to suit the way ppl speak? . . . bani shud remain as its written in puratan saroops

SGPC gutke sahibs are modified to how we say it today, you'll probabaly hear most people from sgpc or like people who haven't gotten proper santhiya done say that pauree that ur talking about with z but it should be sed with a j, when u take santhiya you'll realize how big a difference it really makes in the pronounciation cuz the meaning changes

so lets say in about 20 -30 years supposingly the panjabi community start to say words a bit differently, does that mean the sgpc will change the gutka sahibs again to suit the way ppl speak? . . . bani shud remain as its written in puratan saroops

what you'll actually find is that more and more people are beginnning to use the bindis especially those from outside of panjab, as more and more Sikhs can speak hindi, which means they use the letter Z a lot more. I use Z when i speak panjabi, and when i read it as well.